Best head phones for drummers
Aug 3, 2005 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

number11

New Head-Fier
Hey, anybody have any opinions on some good headphones for drummers? For monitoring live and/or tracking in the studio? I looking for good strong bass, good isolation and real freakin' loud volumes. Any ideas?

Aug 3, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by number11
Hey, anybody have any opinions on some good headphones for drummers? For monitoring live and/or tracking in the studio? I looking for good strong bass, good isolation and real freakin' loud volumes. Any ideas?

DT770-80, amp with a PA2. intense kick drum impact and snare tone. K240s if youre budget is tighter

Garrett

Aug 3, 2005 at 6:56 PM Post #3 of 15
Aug 3, 2005 at 7:09 PM Post #4 of 15
DT770-M is very bad IMO compared to DT770. The bass does not nearly have the same quality and becomes "unstable" and sparkly if there is too much of it or if the frequencies go lower than about 30hz (i think).

It does not have nowhere near the DT770 soundstage, it feels very much like a bad quality HD25, with too much flat "un-tight" bass. The highs and mids are lacking and poor aswell.

I recommend DT770, unless the fact that it lets out some sound annoys you.

I would perhaps recommend a grado line phone, they have very nice bass tighness (SR125,225).

Aug 3, 2005 at 7:33 PM Post #6 of 15
AKG K270S - now discontinued, but still available new from some sources. Some of the best drum attack I've ever heard from a headphone. Tight, controlled bass. Pro-quality construction. Excellent isolation. Auto-shutoff when removed from head (no sound leakage). Very comfortable.

The current K271 may be a substitute, but I couldn't say for sure from memory of brief audition a while back.

Aug 3, 2005 at 7:34 PM Post #7 of 15
I'd also say HD 25-1. Only drawback: short cable (1.5m)

The HD 25-1 has better isolation, the DT 770-80 has better comfort. The HD 25-1 has a strong bass, the DT 770-80 has monster bass. The HD 25-1 is very easy to drive (the freaking loudest full-size headphone in the world), the DT 770-80 may need an amp. The HD 25-1 looks cooler and is smaller, the DT 770-80 is fairly big sized.

In any case, although canalphones don't sond quite as good and do not have a strong bass, they offer better much isolation.

Aug 3, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #8 of 15
Make your own for about $35.!

Check this out, beach audio pro1 same driver as the KSC75 $15. a set (cheapest place i think) these dont have a very good fit. So i poped the drivers out, they just snap out with a little twist and pull. Got a set of the peltor isolation ear muffs of e-bay for $15. a little hole with a dremel and i have an extreme set of cans with the good koss sound $30.

Little bit of paint and tada

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

They cut 24DB you can trun these up REALLY loud and no one around you can hear a thing. The pads are liquid jell so they are soft and the liquid is a really good dampener.

Here is the link to the instructions on building them if you are interested. There are 2 different models of the isolation muffs, over the head and behind so the pictures are of both styles.

Aug 3, 2005 at 9:05 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by BowerR64
Make your own for about $35.!

Check this out, beach audio pro1 same driver as the KSC75 $15. a set (cheapest place i think) these dont have a very good fit. So i poped the drivers out, they just snap out with a little twist and pull. Got a set of the peltor isolation ear muffs of e-bay for $15. a little hole with a dremel and i have an extreme set of cans with the good koss sound $30.

Little bit of paint and tada

attachment.php

They cut 24DB you can trun these up REALLY loud and no one around you can hear a thing. The pads are liquid jell so they are soft and the liquid is a really good dampener.

I still think this one of the sweetest DIY jobs Ive seen.... simple , cheap, good sound. Certainly fills the "good closed cans for $40 void".

**edit**
buy low - mod high
biggrin.gif

Garrett

Aug 3, 2005 at 9:49 PM Post #10 of 15
I would suggest the Westone UM2 or Shure E5 IEM-near total isolation, able to pump out big fat low end without break-up, good for on-stage use as well. You might have to EQ the top frequencies a bit but this is subjective. Both of these units have dual low-frequency drivers to hold up to live performance levels. Highly Recommended. Of course the Ultimate Ears and Sensaphonix custom mold IEMs are available and ,I'm sure even better, but at a much higher price.

Aug 4, 2005 at 12:15 PM Post #12 of 15
I give my vote to the Beyerdynamic DT770 M.
The 35 dB isolation you get is insane. Almost like having your own soundproof room. The isolation is very important for your needs. The DT770-80 Pro only isolates 18 dB, which I don't think is sufficient here.

Even if the M presses quite hard against the head, it's comfortable to wear for longer periods.

It sounds different to the DT770 Pro, mostly because of a more restrained bass response (the M isn't a bass-reflex construction), but the M starts to really sound good when you crank it up. At lower volumes, it's quite flat and boring. It's meant to be played loud, and can take more beating than most peoples eardrums.

Finally, the DT770 M is ridiculously robust.

Another suggestion is the Sennheiser HD280 Pro, which isolates 32 dB. It definitely isn't as robust as the Beyer.

Aug 4, 2005 at 5:26 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ttvetjanu
HD280 pro or HD25-1, I strongly dont recommend DT770-m.

I can't believe we've heard the same headphone (DT770 M). I can't relate to any of your comments regarding it.
There's no question that it is different from the "regular" DT770 Pro, but it's absolutely not horrible when compared.
Tastes are different, I guess.

The DT770 M got my strong recommendations.

I know someone who uses the DT770 M professionally, and he's very fond of it. For him it's a invaluable tool when he works on stage or in the studio monitoring stuff. He can finely adjust small details during the soundcheck.

And, just being curious, how can you recommend Grados for monitoring drumming?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back