Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
biggrin.gif

Disagree.

wink.gif

Jan 3, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #213 of 654
Monkey’s are ugly

x2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jan 4, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #216 of 654
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostmusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just read Japan's esteemed audio magazine Stereo Sound (the Fall issue), and the reviewer tested the Luxman P1u with Sennheiser 800 and the new Ultrasone. He claims that Luxman-Sennheiser was a poor match and that Luxman drove the Ultrasone much better.

I've not heard the P1u, but the P1 and HD800s are a wonderful combo, the best I've heard, first time with an Accuphase source, and second time with an Audio Aero Prima DAC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X3, the HD800 sound fantastic out of the Luxman P1.

Yup.

Jan 4, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #217 of 654
i have heard luxman p1/hd800 combo but not p1u. even without comparison p1 was a little hard sounding with hd800, and i believed there are other choices of amps that produce better music flow with hd800

Jan 4, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #218 of 654
Quote:

Originally Posted by lovefancy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have heard luxman p1/hd800 combo but not p1u. even without comparison p1 was a little hard sounding with hd800, and i believed there are other choices of amps that produce better music flow with hd800

Just goes to show different ears/different conclusions. My experience with that combination was the exact opposite. I thought the P1 added a nice amount of warmth and low-end presence that softened the general presentation of the HD800. If I recall correctly, the last time I listened to that combo, the source was a Meridian CD player. What source were you using?

Jan 4, 2010 at 7:03 AM Post #221 of 654
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Source could have something to do with it, or the Luxman just isn't your cup of tea.
wink.gif
What do you like better than the Luxman?

i have audio-gd phoenix and ayre c5xe mp cdp, i tried rudistor rpx100, corda symphony, graham slee solo, a few minutes auditioned to a phonitor and a blue circle custom order amp

corda symphony and graham slee solo did not match well and could not open up the sound at all

phonitor was fine but a little dry

phoenix is a better combo with hd800 than luxman p1, when balanced the sound-scape expands dramastically and everything is there but its not as refined, lacking bass impact and weight and less transparent compared to higher end ss amps

rudistor rpx100 has really special tone and engaging/organic sound, better than phoenix in every way except that it is a little thin in high and instruments

blue circle custom amp(battery power), i can not give a clear conclusion here, as i remembered nth fell short, the music flow was superb, and the source was different, it was on a nagra cdp..

after trying that many of ss amps, i am more willing to see how well hd800 can do with tube amps. and i tend to believe that tubes have better synergy with hd800

Jan 4, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #223 of 654
i might just wait another year for now unless i have a chance to audition. i keep seeing positive reviews of the RKV/hd800 combo from a few local meets..a lot of them prefered the rkv over the rudistor rp010b..

Jan 4, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #224 of 654
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the P1u is anything like the original P1, then I think that poor reviewer has something wrong with his ears.

According to the review, the P1u runs on much lower voltage than P1, so that may have some kind of a ramification on the effect. He claims P1u had no problems matching with Edition 8, but was not as good with HD800.

The reviewer is a top-flight producer who worked on recordings with world class artists like Mitsuko Uchida and Seiji Ozawa, etc., so any comment re: something wrong with his ears doesn't seems a TINY bit presumptuous and hastily judged.

Jan 4, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #225 of 654
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostmusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to the review, the P1u runs on much lower voltage than P1, so that may have some kind of a ramification on the effect. He claims P1u had no problems matching with Edition 8, but was not as good with HD800.

The reviewer is a top-flight producer who worked on recordings with world class artists like Mitsuko Uchida and Seiji Ozawa, etc., so any comment re: something wrong with his ears doesn't seems a TINY bit presumptuous and hastily judged.

The voltage issue is interesting, and possibly could explain a lot.

As for the rest of your post, I recommend you consider the following:

1) the portion of my post about his ears might possibly have been tongue in cheek (at least partially);
2) I would take the listening impressions of established members on this board over some "top-flight producer" every single time; and
3) you should probably lighten up.

EDIT: re-reading this, it strikes me as more aggressive than I intended. My point is that I disagree with the guy's conclusions if the P1 is anything like the P1u. His profession is irrelevant to me because it seems that producers and other audio professionals seem to listen for different things than I do, which is why I tend to prefer the impressions of folks here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back