Best gaming headset?
Feb 7, 2006 at 2:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Diabolus

New Head-Fier
Right now, I have the Medusa 5.1 headset. They are 'okay' but they lack a few things and have a few problems. First, there's no mute for the microphone in-line. That's a big pet peeve. Secondly, and most importantly... they buzz and go nuts when there's a cell phone near them. I'm imagining they are poorly shielded. Granted, the sound quality is great -- but it is unimportant when my head starts buzzing with the incoming cell calls, or even if my cell is checking the tower (often).

So, given NO price limit (I have a nice tax return coming), what headset is good? I was thinking of buying the new Alienware Ozma 7s. They are $199 which is fine for me as far as price goes. I've gone thru a LOT of headsets, and found nothing I'm really attached to. I liked the Sennheiser PC160s but the sound quality wasn't there. I like my Medusas, but the features and buzzing kills it. I'm thinking the Alienware might be my best bet... but I figured I'd ask here first.

Thanks!

Feb 7, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #2 of 22
PC160's rock. they're open tho, so if you want a closed back get the 150. quality is fine by me- never had a problem with them and they've seen a few drops (i still cringe, but they're OK)

Feb 7, 2006 at 5:04 PM Post #3 of 22
I have the PC150s and overall I'm pretty happy with them. I don't need my gaming headset to be reference quality, and so I haven't ever really listened "critically" on them. However, fellow CSS players tell me the mic sounds great, and they were only like $50 with shipping off Amazon.

They're pretty comfy too. One bad thing is the headphone and mic jacks only split off to a y at the very end of the cord, and so you may need to use an extra cable to get both of them hooked up.

Feb 7, 2006 at 5:26 PM Post #5 of 22
I'll assumed your interest may be FPS - in that case for good solid bass all the way down and accurate positioning of adversaries the most prominent choice is and has been Beyer dt770/80. They are presently hard to get in the US (many may suggest Guitar Center, but the model you find there will be a model built for drummers with an inline attenuator - this is not the same as I'm suggesting). The best price I see at this time is from:http://www.thomann.de/iw_smb_suche.h...34f3c20cf45787 scroll about halfway down the page - they are 148 Euros.
.......the other choice is Ultrasone 650 Trackmasters (or new line-names at that level) - because they are even said to be a bit better at positioning. You may check with Jan Meier (Meier Audio) for his Ultrasone recommendation.

Feb 7, 2006 at 5:27 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy
I'll assumed your interest may be FPS - in that case for good solid bass all the way down and accurate positioning of adversaries the most prominent choice is and has been Beyer dt770/80. They are presently hard to get in the US (many may suggest Guitar Center, but the model you find there will be a model built for drummers with an inline attenuator - this is not the same as I'm suggesting). The best price I see at this time is from:http://www.thomann.de/iw_smb_suche.h...34f3c20cf45787 scroll about halfway down the page - they are 148 Euros.
.......the other choice is Ultrasone 650 Trackmasters (or new line-names at that level) - because they are even said to be a bit better at positioning. You may check with Jan Meier (Meier Audio) for his Ultrasone recommendation.

That doesn't have a mike. No deal
frown.gif

Feb 7, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaroncort
A side note all headphones buzz when a cell phone goes off near them. The only thing you can do is keep your cell phone away from your source and cable.

I have never had that happen before and I've owned quite a few headphones. I really just need a set that has a microphone mute button though... the Medusa's I have now don't.

Feb 7, 2006 at 8:39 PM Post #9 of 22
your not gonig to get anything better sounding then the pc160s with a mic, seriously if your looking for something with higher quality sound your gonna have to ditch the headset and where it around your neck(for the mic). and pic up a real set of cans. IMO, i've tried alot of the 'hifi' gaming headsets and they all leave alot to be desired. but with that being said, games don't require that much to sound their best. anything more then a pc160, v6, sa1000 for gaming is like throwing your money away.

Feb 7, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #10 of 22
Don't tell anyone, but I loved using a pair of Bose Triports with a stand-up mic affixed to one of the cups. At least I knew I could throw them whenever I got sour and not be at much of a loss.
icon10.gif

Feb 7, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #11 of 22
Personally I just have the Medusa's Mic extension socket close to hand and unplug it when I'm not using the mic. And very obviously, don't have your phone right next to your PC.

Feb 7, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #12 of 22
lol nice Fabio pic!

seriously, having owned the Medusas, Senn PC150 and 160 I can say that the PC 160s do a fine all around job.

My K1000s kick the living dog$^&t out of everything but that's a whole different level.

Feb 8, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaroncort
A side note all headphones buzz when a cell phone goes off near them. The only thing you can do is keep your cell phone away from your source and cable.

why is that? i've never noticed it, though i don't have remotely decent headphones either...

Feb 8, 2006 at 5:11 AM Post #14 of 22
why don't u just buy a seperate mic and get some "Decent" headphones/earbuds/IEMs...?

Maybe there is an adapter for the Shure E500 -->seperate line-in+ a conversion to a 3.5mm Mic plug??? I dunno~~~

Feb 8, 2006 at 9:46 AM Post #15 of 22
The Alienware headphone is clearly a rebranded Ultrasone headphone. If you're set on the Alienware, you might as well go to the horse's mouth as it were and get an Ultrasone.

As I've said before, I think the Ultrasone HFI-650 work somewhat better than the DT770 or the A900 for gaming, which are the two headphones everyone recommends (usually without having tried anything else
tongue.gif
). The Ultrasones stage closer and in a more defined way when using FPS games, and has more auditory impact than both phones while avoiding the fatiguing tone of the DT770. With cards like the X-Fi able to produce distance cues, you're probably better off having headphones which don't have a distant soundstaging as default. Other Ultrasones may be as good if not better, but I don't have experience of them.

Personally I find the Medusa comfortable if a little heavy, and well suited to gaming once you move the amp around so that you don't get the buzz. In Rightmark 3Dsound I get a very good result from the Medusa, as I do in games. As a purely gaming phone, I believe it's one of the better ones once you set it up properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back