Best Gaming and Music Headphones?
Jul 25, 2014 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Vandorix

New Head-Fier
Alright, so after hours of tiring research, I still have no idea what set of headphones I need! I know a commercial gaming headset is considered to be overpriced, and that a good set of headphones (with a mic) would be higher quality. I'm looking for headphones for gaming firstly and music secondly. I don't really play FPS games, so a huge soundstage is not incredibly important. Additionally, the headphones must be closed because I intend to use them in public. I'm looking to pay just under $200 for some high-quality headphones. Thank you so much for your help in advance!

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #2 of 11
What kind of equipment will use the headphones with (make/model)?

What kind of sound signature do you want? Bassy? Bright? Neutral?

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #3 of 11
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-update-7-9-2014-ultrasone-hfi-15g-added

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #4 of 11
Some more info would be helpful, like what cel4145 asked.  Though I'll toss out an early recommendation for the Audio Technica ATH-A900X, perhaps combining it with an AntLion ModMic.

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #5 of 11
Oh, sorry! Had no idea there was so much involved. Okay, so I want the sound to sound pretty true to the actual sound. So... Neutral? I would, however, like it to do bass pretty well. Nothing teeth-shattering, but it should be pretty good. I will mainly be using it with my custom gaming computer and ipad/phone for on the go music.

Jul 26, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #6 of 11
ATH-A900X and Soundmagic HP100 or HP150 seem like good choices for you. Bass is there, just not heavily emphasized like in many consumer headphones.

Jul 26, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #7 of 11
So it needs to be portable as well then?

So a closed (or good isolation/leak qualities), neural, portable headphone with punchy bass that can be easily driven.
That sound about right?

You'll probably have to use an external Mic like the Modmic mentioned above if you want all of those qualities. Unless it uses a detachable 3.5mm jack. Then you could also go the vmoda boom pro route.

Jul 26, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #8 of 11
That sounds about right! And I'm fine with buying a modmic. The only thing I want to add is that it needs to be effective for gaming (although I don't know if that changes anything!)

Jul 26, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #9 of 11
You'll have to define your version of effective. Generally there are three roads:
1. Competitive oriented with more focus on the highs, Mids and soundstage/positioning but with reduced low end.

2. Immersive experience headphones with sound like you'd want for your home theatre. Big bass rumble, fun sounding. Usually V-shaped sound signature. Not terrible for competitive gaming, but a solid step behind.

3. Somewhere in between #1 & #2.

So, what is your definition of effective for gaming?

Jul 26, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #10 of 11
Yeah, go with the A900X.  It has a surprisingly good sound stage, which I like even though I'm also not primarily an FPS gamer.  The bass, although not emphasized, is good and I never find myself asking for more bass in games.  The slightly forward presentation might make some things stand out more (like footsteps or other subtle sounds).

Jul 26, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #11 of 11
I'm into competitive gaming, but I don't really play any FPS games competitively. The most I do in that department is TF2 lol. So no, an enormous soundstage is not a requirement. I would like a decent soundstage I suppose, but immersion is more important I think (though feel free to convince me otherwise!).

Edit: I mainly play League of Legends competitively

Users who are viewing this thread

Back