Best games for music listening
Jan 4, 2013 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

oqvist

Headphoneus Supremus
A bit backwards perhaps

There is audiosurf, rocksmith and the likes however for
me it´s Euro Truck Simulator 2.

Driving a truck from Southampton to Hamburg is just slow enough to fully enjoy the surroundings, music and all. I have a really nice RMD Malaga 320 mm to drumroll on and am free to look out in the free world with my TrackIR. Did I mention I am a gearhead :wink:. H-shifter and the works. I am not sure how much fun I could have with this with just mouse/keyboard.

Went through ana Gabriel on Spotify the last trip. Really clears the brain having the V10 engine rumble in the background. No stress and no competition just trucking. Okay a bit of competition that involves driving safe, fuel economic and avoiding damage and speed tickets. Meaning the more you relax and don´t stress and enjoy the music the better you perform.

Jan 5, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #2 of 28
Downloading the demo now. Hopefully it'll be on par with Farming Simulator 2013.

Jan 5, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #3 of 28
Maybe should try that as well. Does it support wheel setups :)

Jan 5, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #4 of 28
Does indeed, though I'm still using a 360 joystick :frowning2:

http://guide4games.com/index.php/guide/2460-farming-simulator-2013-supported-steering-wheels-and-gamepads-configuration-and-setting-guide

Jan 5, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #5 of 28
Symphony? It's like Beat hazard; it uses music to control the levels of arcade-style shooter gameplay.

Jan 7, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:
Most indie games tend to be great for music. 

Terraria
Minecraft
The Binding of Isaac

Are the ones that come to mind first though.

Terraria, love that game, just finished playing a few hours ago.

Civilization 5 is great for letting your playlist run free, sometimes starts over several times and I don't even notice. Then again that's the Civ effect, you kinda stop noticing anything around you.

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #10 of 28
+1 for Minecraft

Can't really say I like to play music with multiplayer shooters. In a game like CS, I need to be able to hear footsteps and gunshots around me at all times.

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #11 of 28
I love putting alot of horror movie soundtracks into games like Fallout 3 and Oblivion. Really enhances the mood especially while listening with speakers. Pretty haunting listening to some Lucio Fulci zombie movie music while exploring the wasteland or some Delia Derbyshire while investigating some dark dungeon full of glowing crystals in Oblivion.

This past year though i've noticed i can get the same audio high from the original game tracks while using headphones which makes me hear all the music in all its exquisite detail. Never knew just how much i was missing with only speakers as my main sound source. Of course living in a small studio apartment also brings in alot of other variables. Still even if i lived in my own house i doubt speakers could deliever the same amount of detail headphones do though nearfield listening comes close.

Jan 8, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #12 of 28
Jan 9, 2013 at 6:34 AM Post #13 of 28

Quote:
Do they have to be games that actively involve music, or just games that you can play while doing some easy listening?

I would say easy and relaxing games where you can be a lot in the now not having to figure out new problems at a frantic pace. It kills off the heaviest analyzing functions of the brain and just let the music flow while you still can focus on it.

I can´t replace music in games with story etc that use music to set the mood. Game developers try to set an atmosphere and there is little chance I without having played the game could do better. 

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #15 of 28
Having played through FFVII multiple times, I find that I can now play it just to listen to the game's music. It has a fantastic soundtrack that really contributes to the mood that the plot tries to set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back