Best full-size headphones for low-volume / background listening
Feb 19, 2010 at 3:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

HoosAir

New Head-Fier
This may sound strange, but I am looking for a big, comfortable, full-size set of cans to use at the office that are not too "engaging". I basically want to listen to background music while I work and don't want to be too distracted. I have D1001s for portable use and I think that type of sound would work well, but I have big honking ears that the D1001 doesn't sit around so I need something larger for longer listening periods. I currently have DT880s that I use primarily with my home rig but they draw me into the music more than I would like.

Budget is $400 or so (new).

Source would be ipod lossless and amp is a headroom micro. Main type of music is classical, but I also listen to jazz and rock.

I did some searches on this topic but nothing came up and would appreciate any suggestions. D5000 perhaps?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts....

Feb 19, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #2 of 15
Sennheiser HD202 Headphones

Feb 19, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #4 of 15
Why don't you just EQ your DT880's to have a more laid-back sound. It's not like you're going all-out on "quality" for background music.

Feb 19, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #5 of 15
AD700 or AD900.

Feb 19, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #7 of 15
I wouldn't go spending too much money for a headphone that you will be listening to at low volume, you can only hear so much details when the music is quiet.

Really any headphone with a good soundstage will do, the headphones character doesn't become that evident until the music is louder.

Feb 19, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #8 of 15
I hear that the Grado GS1000 is best for low-volume listening. At least that's what they said at Headroom while they still stocked them.

Feb 19, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hear that the Grado GS1000 is best for low-volume listening. At least that's what they said at Headroom while they still stocked them.

X2....i was going to say that, but theyre out of his price range, and too engaging.....but they are the low-listeners phone.

Feb 19, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2....i was going to say that, but theyre out of his price range, and too engaging.....but they are the low-listeners phone.

At least I'm not going crazy. Couldn't find any testimonials to back myself up with before posting.

Feb 20, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #11 of 15
Thanks for all of suggestions, guys. The Grados look sweet but are definitely out of my range. As for the Senns, I have tried the 600 and 650 previously and for whatever reason (driver placement, seal, something) they cause ear pain. I think EQing my dt880s might work, but I'd rather keep those at home and have a separate set of cans at work so I don't have to cart the dt880s back and forth. Also, the ipod I am using as a source I also use with 1001s and shure iems and I'd have to keep switching the eq back and forth. I think the AD700/900 look pretty interesting. Thanks again everyone. Would welcome any other suggestions!

Feb 20, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #13 of 15
Well, the GS-1000 is so amazing that sometimes you'd get carry away even in low volume.. Just put up some well-recorded orchestral works, the beauty in some very simple passage will makes you stop and whisper to yourself : "how can it sounds so good.....".

Quote:

Feb 20, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

At least I'm not going crazy. Couldn't find any testimonials to back myself up with before posting.

You can add me to the list of GS1000 low-volume lovers. I'm sure I've seen it mentioned in the other low-volume threads too.

Feb 20, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #15 of 15
Maybe PX100? Small, inexpensive, mellow, comfortable, not too many highs so theyre not fatiguing at all for work. Around $39-50 or so.
I dont know what kind of office you work in, but if these got stolen, at least youre not out too much money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back