Best full or half-size (on ear) headphones for iPod/iPhone
Oct 15, 2009 at 2:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

simonm

Head-Fier
Hi forum. I know there are a lot of disperate threads on this (i did do a search) but couldn't find a general question that covered this common question. If there is one, please feel free to direct me to it!
redface.gif

As a background, I want something to replace my Atrio M5 IEMs. I really liked the sound they provided but these IEMs suffer from significant durability/decay issues where the rubber sealing them essentially rots and breaks off, thereby affecting the bass response. Not only that the tips are impossible to find in Australia, I asked the local distributer and they didn't have any and refused to get some and Futuresonics charges a ridiculous US$50 to send tips! I am really quite over IEMs that require constant cleaning and wax-related issues...hence my decision for wanting to go with an over or on-ear headphone next time.

So can someone advise me on a good (best) full or half-size can for the iPod/iPhone? Obviously the main consideration is that they need to be reasonably efficient (under 100 Ohm?). I am looking for quality and durability for under AU$550 (US$500) so that should give me a fair bit of choice but rule out some of the high-end cans unless I find them on special somewhere.

A few years ago I bought my brother some Sennheiser HD 25 1-II. I found their build quality and comfort to be excellent but the sound probably too bright and analytical for my taste (they are monitors after all).

What else can people recommend? I want them for personal listening not monitoring necessarily so am willing to forgo some accuracy for character. I am open to open or sealed.

Oct 15, 2009 at 8:14 AM Post #2 of 16
What you call "full-size" cans are circum-aural. "Half-size" are known as supra-aural. The problem with switching to such is that, with rare exception, even if they are "closed" (closed-back) you lose a lot of isolation, so you have to turn up the volume a lot to block outside noise.

If you aren't using them outside, go over your budget and buy the Grado HF-2 from someone on the forums. They were a 550-only or so limited edition for Head-fi'ers, and frankly, sound absolutely kick-arse out of an iPod, defying the usual "You need a (DAC and) amp" line that is the first thing people will tell you about most headphones. They are open-backed, so don't isolate well enough to take on the bus or train. Otherwise, the best (and again over your budget) supra-aurals I've tried were again limited edition, the Audio Technica (AT) ESW10JPN. Supposedly the ESW9 which are not limited edition are quite good too, and will be much closer to your budget. Both are closed-back, though still nowhere near as isolating as IEMs.

Oct 15, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #3 of 16
ESW9, ESW10, Ultrasone HFI580 and Pro550.........

Oct 15, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by simonm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi forum. I know there are a lot of disperate threads on this (i did do a search) but couldn't find a general question that covered this common question. If there is one, please feel free to direct me to it!
redface.gif

As a background, I want something to replace my Atrio M5 IEMs. I really liked the sound they provided but these IEMs suffer from significant durability/decay issues where the rubber sealing them essentially rots and breaks off, thereby affecting the bass response. Not only that the tips are impossible to find in Australia, I asked the local distributer and they didn't have any and refused to get some and Futuresonics charges a ridiculous US$50 to send tips! I am really quite over IEMs that require constant cleaning and wax-related issues...hence my decision for wanting to go with an over or on-ear headphone next time.

So can someone advise me on a good (best) full or half-size can for the iPod/iPhone? Obviously the main consideration is that they need to be reasonably efficient (under 100 Ohm?). I am looking for quality and durability for under AU$500 (US$425) so that should give me a fair bit of choice but rule out some of the high-end cans unless I find them on special somewhere.

A few years ago I bought my brother some Sennheiser HD 25 1-II. I found their build quality and comfort to be excellent but the sound probably too bright and analytical for my taste (they are monitors after all).

What else can people recommend? I want them for personal listening not monitoring necessarily so am willing to forgo some accuracy for character. I am open to open or sealed.

Going from least expensive to most, with closed cans so indicated:
PX100, SR60, SR80, D1000 (closed), M50 (closed) w/ coiled cable, RA2

If noise is not an issue, and you want to hit a cost/performance balance, then I'd recommend RA2.

If noise is an issue, then the M50 is the way to go.

Oct 15, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #5 of 16
Oooh... forgot a real gem, the ESW9A. This is closed, and on-ear. Sounds best with an amp, but I've driven a pair nicely with an ipod. All things considered, if portability is an issue, this is probably the best of the pack.

Oct 15, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What you call "full-size" cans are circum-aural. "Half-size" are known as supra-aural.

Yep I knew the jargon, I just decided to go with a more plain language approach.

Quote:

The problem with switching to such is that, with rare exception, even if they are "closed" (closed-back) you lose a lot of isolation, so you have to turn up the volume a lot to block outside noise. If you aren't using them outside...

Nope, I plan to use them indoors and in relatively quiet environments.

Quote:

Go over your budget and buy the Grado HF-2 from someone on the forums. They were a 550-only or so limited edition for Head-fi'ers, and frankly, sound absolutely kick-arse out of an iPod, defying the usual "You need a (DAC and) amp" line that is the first thing people will tell you about most headphones.

Yes my budget is flexible. And when I say best for iPod/iPhone I don't mean to rule out getting a DAC at some stage for quality improvements, just that I want something I can still enjoy through poorer/lower power audio sources.

Quote:

They are open-backed, so don't isolate well enough to take on the bus or train. Otherwise, the best (and again over your budget) supra-aurals I've tried were again limited edition, the Audio Technica (AT) ESW10JPN. Supposedly the ESW9 which are not limited edition are quite good too, and will be much closer to your budget. Both are closed-back, though still nowhere near as isolating as IEMs.

Cool I'll look into it! Thanks!
atsmile.gif

Oct 16, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by simonm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can people post the brands in addition to model numbers as it makes it easier to look up?

Sure; here they are:

Sennheiser PX100
Grado SR60
Grado SR80
Dennon D1000 (closed)
Audio-Technica M50 (closed) w/ coiled cable
Grado RA-2
Audio Technica ATH-ESW9A (closed)

All of these are available at headpone.com, and their are no better people to work with than them. If you call them, they may even give you a deal.

Oct 16, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #9 of 16
Circumaural: Audio-Technica AD900, AD1000 or higher
Supraaural: Grado or Alessandro
Portable: Yuin G1A stock or modded with headband

Oct 18, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by CherryBomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure; here they are:

Sennheiser PX100
Grado SR60
Grado SR80
Dennon D1000 (closed)
Audio-Technica M50 (closed) w/ coiled cable
Grado RA-2
Audio Technica ATH-ESW9A (closed)

All of these are available at headpone.com, and their are no better people to work with than them. If you call them, they may even give you a deal.

What is the Grado RA-2 headphone? I've never heard of it.

Oct 18, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Grado RA-2

Do you mean Grado RS2's, cus i cant find "RA-2" for the life of me lol...maybe you know of the only pair in existence that are hidden in an secret underground bunker.
normal_smile .gif

Oct 18, 2009 at 11:06 AM Post #14 of 16
The best pair-up with with my 1st gen ipod touch that I've heard thus far is the Jays V-Jays. Second place would be the AKG K420, then third is shared by all the usual suspects: Alessandro ms-1 (Grado sr125 is sort of the same thing. Calm down everyone, I said sort of.), Sennheiser px100, Koss Portapro, etc., etc.,

Sometimes it's not about the most expensive headphone, but the one that's the most involving with a given audio source.

Major asterisk * I've heard many high end cans with an ipod, but not the Audio Technica ath-esw9 or esw10jpn.. nor even the es7. I hope to remedy this.

I approach the question as "What would I rather reach for because they make me wanna shake my booty with my ipod?"

Dec 5, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #15 of 16
Hey thanks I've decided to go with the ESW9A!
jecklinsmile.gif
They look great, have good reviews, are within my budget, and their signature is described as being relaxed and warm, which is exactly what I'm looking for!

I'll let you know how I go when I get them...Now on to finding a good portable DAC!

Quote:

Oooh... forgot a real gem, the ESW9A. This is closed, and on-ear. Sounds best with an amp, but I've driven a pair nicely with an ipod. All things considered, if portability is an issue, this is probably the best of the pack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back