best free windows xp security software
Jan 13, 2008 at 10:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
i seem to be virus prone or something, i had some weird xp issues so i reinstalled my windows xp pro sp2; i use firefox, adaware, spyware blaster, avg-free; anything else i should do?

Jan 13, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #2 of 42
Comodo Firewall?

Jan 13, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #4 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizzel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Common Sense 1.0

x2

I really don't have anything except a few spyware cleaners, and I'm running great. Just be careful what you do online and you'll be fine.

Jan 14, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #5 of 42
I'm a big supporter of OS X, but basically Windows with FF or Opera as a browser and web-based email with virus protection (Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.) should take care of 95% of your problems. A general anti-virus app should handle the rest. In my opinion running a ton of security programs causes more problems than solves.

Jan 14, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #6 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzjudz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Comodo Firewall?

Definitely install Comodo Firewall, because Windows XP default firewall is useless. Comodo is one of the best firewall out there, and it's also freeware.

Spybot Search & Destroy is another great freeware spyware/adware scanner.

Jan 14, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #7 of 42
On XP I always used AVG, Zone Alarm, Spybot and Adaware and never had any problems at all. Now I use Vista and despite all the extra 'security', I keep getting fake 'your PC is dangerously low on memory' pop up ads. Never had that problem on XP and never got a virus using all those freebies in conjunction with each other.

Jan 14, 2008 at 3:12 AM Post #8 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On XP I always used AVG, Zone Alarm, Spybot and Adaware and never had any problems at all. Now I use Vista and despite all the extra 'security', I keep getting fake 'your PC is dangerously low on memory' pop up ads. Never had that problem on XP and never got a virus using all those freebies in conjunction with each other.

That's just Vista!
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

I am still on XP, and also use AVG and Comodo. Definitely agree on those recommendations. AVIR (is that the right name) is also a good feebie A/V from what I've read.

For a while, I used the Microsoft Anti-Spyware (Windows Defender), but it was quirky in if/how it ran, and I've read that it classifies some things as safe that are really "bothersome" (tracking cookies and the like). Apparently, they are either MS owned, or partners, or something like that.

I had once paid for CounterSpy, thought it was worth it. Haven't gone back though, as AVG & Comodo are fine for me.

Jan 14, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #9 of 42
i've got an issue and since i started this thread:

when i play youtube videos, they only play for 10 seconds or though and then stop, i don't know what it is, but this has happened before

it's a pretty fresh install of xp pro; my only drivers are my emu0404 audio drivers, omega ATI drivers, intalled flash in firefox.....

......also on the right side of the screen instead of seeing other vids, all i get is some ugly html text or somethin, do i need java or somthin?

Jan 14, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #10 of 42
there's definitely something wrong, a bunch of webpages are formatted wrong, anybody got an idea? i'm on fandango now and i'm seeing more HTML text rather than links and such

Jan 14, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #11 of 42
and now trying to install java i get "error XXXX the file is corrupt....blah blah blah"

something's wrong with my pc, and this has happened before; coudl it be a hardware issue?

Jan 14, 2008 at 8:05 AM Post #13 of 42
My husband, who does network secuity for a living, recommends Kerio Personal Firewall. At home we personally use PC-Cillin, but alas, its' not free.

Jan 14, 2008 at 8:33 AM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i seem to be virus prone or something, i had some weird xp issues so i reinstalled my windows xp pro sp2; i use firefox, adaware, spyware blaster, avg-free; anything else i should do?

Use a hardware firewall like a router. I recommend disabling any Anti-Virus software's real time virus checking. It hogs computer resources and robs you of overall performance. Instead, just run a quick virus check on files that you suspect may have a virus. Run your occasional Spyware/Virus Scan check and use Firefox.

This way, you'll have a fully functional computer running at full efficiency without any annoying pop up firewall/security warnings asking you if you would like to run the program you just clicked on.

Jan 14, 2008 at 8:55 AM Post #15 of 42
I have installed ClamWin, based on the GPL ClamAV software, on all my family members' Windows computers. I'm not certain of its effectiveness on that platform, but have been quite satisfied with it on Linux and Mac.

--Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back