best free windows xp security software
Mar 4, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #31 of 42
FYI, Antivir free has a higher detection rate than AVG.

You can also disable the banner on the Antivir free that appears when you update.

Mar 5, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #32 of 42
Could be the NoScript plugin. I Use IE7 and the pages will look nice and never got a virus since I shoved a Firebox hardware firewall in front of them.

Mar 5, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #33 of 42
on mine i have avg and zone alarm and adaware

when i get rid of vista i will just have zone alarm full suite

edt, i love the zone alarm firewall (free) everytime something want to connect to the internet it tells you, and you can 'block'/'allow' and 'always'/'never'

theres so much stuff that tries it and i say, NO!

Mar 5, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #34 of 42
Comodo, Avira, Spyware Blaster, Defender. Seems to work quite well for me. ZoneAlarm seemed to me way more resource-hungry than Comodo for me. NetVeda was probably the best firewall, in terms of speed and security features, but only supports XP, not Vista.

Mar 5, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #35 of 42
If you want something easy to use and something that wont have any problems or bother you with a bunch of popups and is easy to configure? Microsoft OneCare, try the free trial, works like a charm.

Mar 7, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #40 of 42
I think the ticket to not getting viruses on XP is to go to the network manager right click and highlight disable. That should take care of your problems. Then go out and buy a Mac, or get a distro of Linux for surfing the net. Friends don't let friends surf on windows.

Mar 7, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #41 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Sez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the ticket to not getting viruses on XP is to go to the network manager right click and highlight disable. That should take care of your problems. Then go out and buy a Mac, or get a distro of Linux for surfing the net. Friends don't let friends surf on windows.

He is looking for FREE antivirus and you want him to buy a mac.

Mar 7, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #42 of 42
Or get a distro of Linux most are free. I am currently using Sabayon on my PC for surfing. I use the windows side for other stuff. Its really easy to have a dual boot system and never have to worry about stupid internet related stuff windows can't handle without lots of help and time. It doesn't matter how free the solution is if you have to constantly use it. That takes time, and time is money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back