Best for Classical, Jazz, Acoustic..?
Apr 6, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, bad recording is another subject, I just hope shane55 have good recordings like CDs or HD audio files.

Oh... I do!
High Res downloads, SACD's, LP's, etc. That's why I need some good cans to really appreciate how good the recordings are.

As for the DAC1-Pre, well... it's what I have, so my choices will have to take that into account.

Never heard of the Beyer DT-48, but I'll look into it.

I've had the AKG K260's for many years. I have found them mostly accurate, but thin. Not sure how newer models compare. My biggest complaint other than the lack of bass is how transparent they are to outside noise. I can hear my computers all too well, which is why I'm probably looking for closed.

Thanks for all the advice so far! Amazing forum.
biggrin.gif

shane

Apr 6, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by shane55 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh... I do!
High Res downloads, SACD's, LP's, etc. That's why I need some good cans to really appreciate how good the recordings are.

As for the DAC1-Pre, well... it's what I have, so my choices will have to take that into account.

Never heard of the Beyer DT-48, but I'll look into it.

I've had the AKG K260's for many years. I have found them mostly accurate, but thin. Not sure how newer models compare. My biggest complaint other than the lack of bass is how transparent they are to outside noise. I can hear my computers all too well, which is why I'm probably looking for closed.

Thanks for all the advice so far! Amazing forum.
biggrin.gif

shane

You have good equipment there. You can try some used K701/2 for around $180 and if you don't like them you can sell them for the same price. BTW the K-702 new on ebay sells for $255.You want to give it some burn in to open up.

Apr 6, 2010 at 3:23 PM Post #19 of 23
Got it... the K701/2's sound like they could work.
Being that they are open back, will I be hearing a lot of outside noise?
Is there a closed-back variation that sounds as good?

shane

Apr 6, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Oh... I do!

The quality of the recording (as in how it was recorded) and the quality of the encoding or storage type are two entirely different things. While the 702's do not forgive lossy types they are also very analytical and all the flaws in the recording will come to light. This highly reduces the amount of music that you can listen to with these cans. With classical music it is even more unforgiving; however those recordings that are of quality will be a delight to listen to.

For Jazz, these cans are by far the best I've heard (granted I haven't tried out the top-tier cans like the HD800's or the T1's).

Apr 6, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by groovizintheheart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The quality of the recording (as in how it was recorded) and the quality of the encoding or storage type are two entirely different things. While the 702's do not forgive lossy types they are also very analytical and all the flaws in the recording will come to light. This highly reduces the amount of music that you can listen to with these cans. With classical music it is even more unforgiving; however those recordings that are of quality will be a delight to listen to.

For Jazz, these cans are by far the best I've heard.

Groov... I don't listen to any lossy encodings. CD (16/44.1) is the lowest sample or bit rate I listen to (other than Flac or Apple Lossless). Most of my recordings are at 24/96 and are listened to uncompressed.

Analytical is a good thing in my opinion. I want to hear everything there is to hear in the recording. Good and bad. I don't want any sugar coating of the music. I enjoy the veritas.

Choices so far (in order of preference) are:

Beyerdynamic DT880
Sennheiser HD600
AKG K702

(lookout! here comes a real noob question) I don't know the difference between the regular (Premium) Beyerdynamic DT 880, and the Premium 32 & 600 OHM. Why would I get one over the other?

Also... From lack of response along these lines, am I to assume that closed back cans will not yield as neutral a response?

And... Is this worth taking seriously?
Learning Center - Build a Headphone Graph | HeadRoom Audio

Thanks!!

shane

Apr 6, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Also... From lack of response along these lines, am I to assume that closed back cans will not yield as neutral a response?

Several people mentioned the AKG K271 which is a closed headphone. I have a pair and I like it a lot with jazz, acoustic, chamber, etc. It probably will not sound as good on its own as the open headphones which were mentioned, but if you have a somewhat noisy listening environment, the K271 will probably sound better than an open headphones plus a bunch of noise leaking in. (And the noise WILL leak in!)

Apr 6, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Several people mentioned the AKG K271 which is a closed headphone. I have a pair and I like it a lot with jazz, acoustic, chamber, etc. It probably will not sound as good on its own as the open headphones which were mentioned, but if you have a somewhat noisy listening environment, the K271 will probably sound better than an open headphones plus a bunch of noise leaking in. (And the noise WILL leak in!)

Yes... sorry. You are correct. I have looked at these and they are a possibility. And yes, I agree that they would probably sound better than even the best cans with background noise added to the mix.

And actually, they compare favorably in this graph (for whatever that's worth).
Learning Center - Build a Headphone Graph | HeadRoom Audio

Thanks
shane

Users who are viewing this thread

Back