Best for Classical, Jazz, Acoustic..?
Apr 5, 2010 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

shane55

Headphoneus Supremus
Noob here.
Budget is $200-300 (USD)... or less, of course.

Would like to block out external noise if possible (not noise cancelling). Not adverse to closed, but not sure that's the right way to go.

The use is for home only. It would be for critical listening to acoustic music, so I'm looking for faithful reproduction of the instruments and soundstage. Looking for a 'true', natural sound, as uncoloured as possible...

I've heard great things about the ATH-M50S and AD-700 or ATH-A700, but just don't know...

Advice / assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

shane

Apr 5, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #2 of 23
Go with AKG: AKG K501 first and K701 second.
If you want less sound leakage, AKG K240 Semi Open Vintage pair
If you want complete isolation, AKG K271 closed.

Apr 5, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #3 of 23
The AD700 will not block out noise as they are open-back, however they do very well with all of the aforementioned genres.

I can also vouch for the A700; they are my portables. Suffice to say that it's definitely under-appreciated, I personally quite enjoy the sound sig. To sum them up in one word, I would say: airy. They're pretty mid-centric, both male and female vocals sound stellar on these cans, and they're probably the best part (I have no idea why people say the midrange sounds recessed, it's the opposite). They're also bass light. The bass is definitely there, and there can be a LOT of it when necessary, but it just less prominent than other cans I own, even the Grado 325. Don't let this detract from getting a pair though. The bass is nice and detailed and never muddy, and can definitely handle huge loads of it, probably because of the large driver size. Unless you turn the bass up on your source, it won't trounce on the rest of the spectrum. The treble is also a strong point on these cans. I love sparkle, and they definitely exhibit a lot of it, along with detail, however it can be sibilant and piercing at times.

If you want an open pair I suggest the K701 for the types of music mentioned.

Apr 5, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #5 of 23
Thanks for the advice so far!! Fast responses.

Listening will be mostly through my Benchmark DAC1-PRE or Outlaw RR2150.
So I have enough power for most... I would think.

shane

Apr 5, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #6 of 23
Another vote for K701, in your price range its a steal... as long as your recordings are good quality. For the genre's you listed, they make good recordings sound exquisite, and poor recordings sound awful.

Apr 5, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by shane55 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the advice so far!! Fast responses.

Listening will be mostly through my Benchmark DAC1-PRE or Outlaw RR2150.
So I have enough power for most... I would think.

shane

Yep, the DAC1 will be great.

Apr 5, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #9 of 23
The K-701's would be good in your price range, but I would recommend Sony SA-5000 as an alternative to check out. I feel that they have a bit smoother treble and better detail, generally pretty similar bass, but not as large a headstage.

If you really want to go against the grain, the Beyer DT-48 is an interesting choice. Like the others, the bass is not overly strong (though adequate) and the treble is rolled off in comparison. Definatly a midrange first phone but, if you like their presentation, very nice for the music you mention. But listen to these first if at all possible, they are not everyones cup o'tea.

Many people like the Sennheiser HD-600/650 for classical, but I don't have much experience with them myself.

Kevin

Apr 5, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, the DAC1 will be great.

IMO the DAC1 and 701 have awful synergy. A warmer more forgi ving DAC like the BC DAC2 would be ideal. Both the 701 and DAC1 are bright and very revealing of bad recording.

Apr 5, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #11 of 23
May I add the Pioneer Monitor 10R? My AKG K240 DF sounded 'polite' on Miles Davis' 'Bitches Brew' while the Pioneer had a more 'raw sound.' It's just a small thing I noticed...

The AKG K501 is very tempting knowing what I've read. The old Pioneer Monitor 10 is good too but it has to be to your liking, also regarding weight and comfort.

Apr 5, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by k3oxkjo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The K-701's would be good in your price range, but I would recommend Sony SA-5000 as an alternative to check out. I feel that they have a bit smoother treble and better detail, generally pretty similar bass, but not as large a headstage.

If you really want to go against the grain, the Beyer DT-48 is an interesting choice. Like the others, the bass is not overly strong (though adequate) and the treble is rolled off in comparison. Definatly a midrange first phone but, if you like their presentation, very nice for the music you mention. But listen to these first if at all possible, they are not everyones cup o'tea.

Many people like the Sennheiser HD-600/650 for classical, but I don't have much experience with them myself.

Kevin

I do agree. Out of all the phones listed, the DT48 are the ones you should audition if you can before buying, since they sound so different from regular headphones. And will always be a 50/50 chance of liking them or down right hating them.

Apr 5, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both the 701 and DAC1 are bright and very revealing of bad recording.

Well, bad recording is another subject, I just hope shane55 have good recordings like CDs or HD audio files.

Apr 5, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #14 of 23
Senn HD580/600/650. Not closed, but your ears will appreciate the difference. Those are my types of music. Wait till you hear them on a nice full range speaker setup with tubed amp...

Apr 6, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO the DAC1 and 701 have awful synergy. A warmer more forgi ving DAC like the BC DAC2 would be ideal. Both the 701 and DAC1 are bright and very revealing of bad recording.

i wouldn't say awful, but it's too bright and un-groovy for my tastes, no matter what amp i throw at it. the warmer y-2 DAC with the K701/2 is my preference. however, the K271 straight out of the DAC1 is an excellent pairing. the K271 is a bit more forgiving in the upper-midrange and can cut the K701/2 pretty close with the dyed Beyer pads from Headphile.

other than electronica, most of my music is acoustic, jazz, and classical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back