Best for Classical: DT880 or HD-600?
Oct 27, 2008 at 12:28 PM Post #17 of 32
I'm not going to go along with your choices..........and now suggest better - #1 is AKG k340 modded (incl. Headphile mods, and BlkGold cable) if a powerful amp can be within your budget, and #2 Headphile X-Deep Darths sans the powerful amp. Those are the headphones you should be targeting for classical listening (if you are selecting Symphonies, and Opera).

Oct 27, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not going to go along with your choices..........and now suggest better - #1 is AKG k340 modded (incl. Headphile mods, and BlkGold cable) if a powerful amp can be within your budget, and #2 Headphile X-Deep Darths sans the powerful amp. Those are the headphones you should be targeting for classical listening (if you are selecting Symphonies, and Opera).

Thanks for the feedback. I thought the amp I'm using was pretty potent (Millet Hybrid Max). Wouldn't this be enough to power most headphones, including the AKGs you suggest?

I don't really plan to do any upgrades to the headphones, with the exception of the cable if its the easily swappable type like on Senn. headphones.

Oct 27, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewZander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking for some opinions here...

I primarily listen to classical music and was wondering which would be a better fit for this situation, Beyer's DT880 or the Senn. HD600?

My setup: iMac (lossless) -> Beresford TC-7510 -> Millit Hybrid Max -> Senn. HD580

Thanks,
Andrew

You're 580's are the same as the 600's (apart from the grills), same driver etc... In all honesty for classical music I think you're best just buying some HD600 grills for your HD580. You can then spend you're saved money on something else (if you where me, the akg k-1000).
beerchug.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"unrealistic uber detail?". Maybe you like a more mellow fun sound which is fine but detail is never 'unrealistic", only too/more realistic than you prefer.

What I am referring to is microphone detail - sound that you wouldn't hear (or wouldn't notice) if you were standing there listening to the musicians. The DT880 gives you the ears of a Cheetah, whether you want to hear all of that or not. Not my thing, but to each his (her) own. I have found this to be true with any type of decent amplification.

Oct 28, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're 580's are the same as the 600's (apart from the grills), same driver etc... In all honesty for classical music I think you're best just buying some HD600 grills for your HD580. You can then spend you're saved money on something else (if you where me, the akg k-1000).
beerchug.gif

So, more than likely, the grills are what's causing the rattling I'm hearing, correct? And the 600 grills can be put on the 580 headphones and hopefully fix this issue?

Oct 28, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by billinkansas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I am referring to is microphone detail - sound that you wouldn't hear (or wouldn't notice) if you were standing there listening to the musicians. The DT880 gives you the ears of a Cheetah, whether you want to hear all of that or not. Not my thing, but to each his (her) own. I have found this to be true with any type of decent amplification.

I actually like a high level of detail. I find that it allows me to hear the difference between period instruments and modern. And hearing the musicians turn the pages of their music notation makes me feel like i'm in the middle of it.

But, as you said, everyone has their own taste/preference.

Oct 28, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #24 of 32
I listen only to classical music and prefer lots of detail with treble emphasis so I like: 1) SR325i with LD 1+ amp. 2) DT880 needs powerful amp to really sing. 3) K501 with K701 pads. Most natural and my favorite phone. I also have: The HD600 but dislike the Senn clamp. K701 too reserved and not much fun but can be a pleasant change from all the excitement of my three favorites. Sony MDR-F1 glad I have them but don't listen to them very much.

Oct 29, 2008 at 12:52 AM Post #26 of 32
I've found that there are so many differing views on the best headphones for classical. I've seen people recommend the HD600, HD650, K701, DT880, D2000 with no clear majority.

I think the reason is that people have different tastes in classical music styles, i.e. symphonies/chamber music/solo, and even within those forms, I suppose people have different preferences for different instrument combinations.

Oct 29, 2008 at 8:39 AM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not sure why anyone will recommend the DT880 as a classical can, IMHO it's too bright and too aggressive to make a good classical can.

Not a case in my rig even with historically informed barrocco performances of Bach concerts. I just like resolving headphones for classical, without any congestion, so I'll thank Sennheiser at this time.

Oct 29, 2008 at 9:25 AM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not sure why anyone will recommend the DT880 as a classical can, IMHO it's too bright and too aggressive to make a good classical can.

I own and have auditioned most of the phones recommended for classical music and the DT880 is one of the phones I’m glad I didn’t send back. If you want only the best classical phone then the DT880 isn't it, but if you're like me and appreciate a variety of sonic signatures then the DT880 along with the SR325i are wonderful non classical, classical music phones because they make my music more interesting and exciting and since I pay the bills, that’s all that really counts.
wink.gif

Oct 29, 2008 at 2:26 PM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by TehNomad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've found that there are so many differing views on the best headphones for classical. I've seen people recommend the HD600, HD650, K701, DT880, D2000 with no clear majority.

These are all good in their own way, and dependent on the signal from upstream - all starting with someone else's microphones.

I suppose that is why they make both candy and peanuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back