Best flagship for hip hop running through an all tube setup.
Jun 7, 2013 at 6:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

ramarge3653

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I am just asking to see what people think are the end all be all headphones solely for hip hop.  I currently have the Grado PS1000s and I love them.  I primarily listen to metal/rock and they sound seriously insane through my setup.  Hip Hop is actually fun through the PS1000s despite what other board members may think.  They do have bass and it's quite awesome, and it sounds like I'm in the studio with the artist.  I just wondered if anyone has any experience with another flagship solely for hip hop.  I'm looking just to pick up a separate headphone just for this purpose if it out does my 1000's. Looking for more of an already Bass oriented headphone that doesn't lack any clarity.

My gear is straight tube/vinyl setup.

I have a VPI scoutmaster turntable
aesthetix rhea phono stage (all tube (10, total) telefunken/seimens
Woo Audio 6SE with a re-branded telefunken GZ34 and 6DF7's
I also have an upgraded cable with my phones, the black dragon from moon audio.

I also have a nice stereo speaker setup, but for the sake of this thread, I'll not talk about it.

I'm not here to show off gear or anything, just trying to get some insight into what I'm running and what I'm trying to achieve.

I've read a lot about the Denon D7100 and the Audeze LCD/2/3 and seem like these might be the gems I'm looking for.

Jun 7, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #6 of 25
You really want the LCD's for hip hop? wow. 

Do what wink said ^

Jun 7, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #8 of 25
I agree!

Jun 8, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #10 of 25
LCD-3 I guess if you are really hell bent on flagships, its pretty overkill though

Jun 8, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:
Denon AH-D7100 but they prefer solid state. However, the WA6 SE is an exception and behaves somewhat like transistors which is good and bad. I am very satisified with my amp + headphones combo.

Have you listened to the D7100 + WA6se with hip hop?  

I'm really curious about your experience with this setup.

Jun 8, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #13 of 25
doesn't have to be a flagship, just the best overall headphone for my setup and needs. 
Thanks for your reply.

Then HE-500, its a better balanced headphone which hip-hop sounds better with IMO. I have heard the main orthos with a higher end tube amp, it sounded great but the HE-500 just had a nicer balance.

Jun 8, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #14 of 25
agree with the D5k or d7k recommendations but they are getting  more expensive to buy since they are no longer in production

Fostex will do as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back