Best flagship can?
Nov 29, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #32 of 87
Sennheiser still scales best for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #33 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
only considering the headphones i own or have owned (HD580, HD600, HD650, K501, K701, SR325, RS1, DT880 '03, DT880 '05, W100), i would say, in this order:

- HD650
- RS1
- K701

vcoheda,
I demand you to own a denon D5000 balance to round out your collection.
(Balancing the d5000 would be just a matter of snipping off the ends and adding XLR connectors).

I have owned or heard most of the headphones on your lists and the Denon's will surprise you.

Nov 29, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #35 of 87
Dt990, but the 600 ohm manufacture version. Those are just - how music should sound.

Unless plugged into my Hornet and iPod, then a bit too bassy, but still, it's all good.

Nov 29, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #36 of 87
Too few options in the poll!
What about flagship cans from other vendors? Like Stax and Ultrasone, which are both well known around here.

My vote goes to the Stax SR-007mk2 (which I have actually not heard).

Nov 29, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #37 of 87
I won't vote since I haven't experienced any of the cans listed. It sounds like there is more support for headphones not listed than there is for the ones that are listed to choose from.

Nov 30, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #38 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerstud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
vcoheda,
(Balancing the d5000 would be just a matter of snipping off the ends and adding XLR connectors).

I have owned or heard most of the headphones on your lists and the Denon's will surprise you.

i listened to the D5000 at a meet (stock, single ended). didn't do anything for me. sounded thin with a below average sound stage. for closed (woody) headphones, i much preferred the DX1000, which had a very good sound stage with a smooth, warm, and fluid although somewhat colored sound - at least in the mid range.

Nov 30, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #39 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D5000 beats all of those.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sghound /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerstud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
vcoheda,

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i listened to the D5000 at a meet (stock, single ended). didn't do anything for me. sounded thin with a below average sound stage. for closed (woody) headphones, i much preferred the DX1000, which had a very good sound stage with a smooth, warm, and fluid although somewhat colored sound - at least in the mid range.

The D5000 is very good for its price, but still a couple steps behind what we call the flagship for current production cans. I actually prefer the SD600 with silver cables or Cardas copper and my modded RKV mkII to the D5000. If they can clean up the overlapping upper bass to keep the midrange cleaner, then the D5000 is a much more competent contender.
wink.gif

Nov 30, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #40 of 87
The flagship of Beyer IIRC for most of us, is the DT880 not the DT990, at least I preffer the DT880....also that poll is not fair, not -Non of the above option?
tongue.gif

Nov 30, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #41 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I kept the poll to the big 4 manufacturers. Grado, Beyerdynamic, AKG and sen.

Since the they are most owned flagships, since hardly anyone has the edition 9's or GS-1000's, etc.

The RS 1 are not flagship headphones,if you want to make a poll about the most popular models from the most popular brands that's fine,but don't use the word flagship,by the way,my vote goes to the GS-1000,and not by a small margin
gs1000.gif

Nov 30, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #42 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by stacker45 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The RS 1 are not flagship headphones,if you want to make a poll about the most popular models from the most popular brands that's fine,but don't use the word flagship,by the way,my vote goes to the GS-1000,and not by a small margin
gs1000.gif

RS-1's are considered the flagship of grado sound, since the GS-1000's have a different sound signature.

Nov 30, 2007 at 5:49 AM Post #44 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RS-1's are considered the flagship of grado sound, since the GS-1000's have a different sound signature.

Actually Grado themselves call the GS1000 their flagship headphone. Just check the Grado website.

cheers
Simon

N.B. I didn't vote. Rather pointless poll with so many missing plus not that many people, including myself, have heard all of the "flagships".

Nov 30, 2007 at 6:55 AM Post #45 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pieman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually Grado themselves call the GS1000 their flagship headphone. Just check the Grado website.

cheers
Simon

N.B. I didn't vote. Rather pointless poll with so many missing plus not that many people, including myself, have heard all of the "flagships".

I've heard all the major "flagship" open dynamic headphones except the DT990 and the Denons.
biggrin.gif
I haven't voted yet and don't intend do, this is a futile poll IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back