Best FLAC player for PC?
Feb 18, 2013 at 6:13 AM Post #136 of 229
In my experience JRiver is one of the best audio player on Windows. Beside the playback quality, it provides one of the best environment for tag editing.

I used to have my whole library in FLAC but the decided to convert them all to Apple Lossless. Although they are not open from the beginning but they are well supported on most platforms. FLAC is an open standard from the very beginning and they are well supported on most platforms except MAC (of course there are ways to come around this). So in the end, apple lossless seems to be a good choice for me since I can play them on Mac, Windows and sometimes Linux

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #137 of 229
Quote:
And the sound is very "transparent". I'm glad that you uderstand how good it is!

Please, try new version  http://albumplayer.ru/AP295b.zip It has more detailed, but still "analog" sound. It has fantastic sound! (If your DAC is able to demonstrate it)
And they have English version now: http://albumplayer.ru/english.html

Feb 18, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #138 of 229
I need a player with a great EQ... is Jriver the best for that? (64 bit EQ)

Feb 19, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #139 of 229
Yep. JRiver supports EQs very well. In addition you can use DSP for different purposes such as convolution for room correction, sample rate conversion and so on. Like the other high quality playback software JRiver has 64 bit pipeline to keep the quantization error minimal.

Feb 19, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #140 of 229
Quote:
In my experience JRiver is one of the best audio player on Windows. Beside the playback quality, it provides one of the best environment for tag editing.

I used to have my whole library in FLAC but the decided to convert them all to Apple Lossless. Although they are not open from the beginning but they are well supported on most platforms. FLAC is an open standard from the very beginning and they are well supported on most platforms except MAC (of course there are ways to come around this). So in the end, apple lossless seems to be a good choice for me since I can play them on Mac, Windows and sometimes Linux

I agree JRiver has great features and functionalities for tag editing. If it sounded as clear/transparent as Foobar it would be my first choice player. 

Feb 20, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #147 of 229
Same

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #148 of 229
Quote:
Great!
biggrin.gif

I quite like JRiver 18 now:)

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #149 of 229
Better than foobar?

Feb 21, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #150 of 229
Quote:
Better than foobar?

As for its standard functionality JRiver is a great player - no comparison to Foobar (although one might appreciate the simplicity of Foobar or play with many of its components).
Sound-wise I am still not sure. I need more time to listen critically. They appear to sound very similar to me now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back