Best female vocal music?
Nov 23, 2002 at 5:59 AM Post #17 of 24
I think some of these current audiophile divas like Jane Monheit, Norah Jones, and recent Diana Krall albums are pale imitations of some of the more classic vocalists. There seems to be a depressing lack of jazz & pop vocalists these days. IMHFO, as usual.

Some names that aren't mentioned:

Sarah Vaughan
Elis Regina (for that record with Carlos Jobim: 'Elis & Tom')
June Christy

Nov 23, 2002 at 12:31 PM Post #18 of 24
Braver
Thanks for the heads up on the musical discoveries site. I'm into female vocalists lately and this site is perfect for me.

Two of my favorites:
Norah Jones - Come Away With Me
Dana Glover - Testimony
Here's a post I made about this album:
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=19971

Two others i've picked up:
Laura Pausini - From the Inside
Alice Peacock - Alice Peacock

Nov 24, 2002 at 5:22 PM Post #21 of 24
Sarah Slean - Nightbugs. I don't think there's an easy way to describe this, I think's it's kinda like intrumental piano jazzy rock music. Well recorded and she's got an amazing voice.

Sarah McLachlan - Solace

Tori Amos - Boys for Pele. Feels more lively to me than "Under the Pink", and has everything from quiet piano pieces to full out rocking and everything in between.

Chantal Kreviazuk - Colour Moving and Still

Nov 25, 2002 at 9:32 AM Post #22 of 24
These are my current favorite cds:

Elysian Fields - Bleed Your Cedar (Jennifer Charles) : slow, gloomy, dreamy rock
Denali - self titled (Maura Davis) : Portishead's indie rock counterpart?
Delerium - Karma (Kristy Thirsk) : Sarah McLachlan sings on a few tracks on this cd too, but I love the tracks where Kristy Thirsk sings (Enchanted, Wisdom, Til The End Of Time). I can't think of how to describe it... dreamy sophisticated dance pop?

Nov 26, 2002 at 10:20 PM Post #23 of 24
Georgia Hubley (Yo La Tengo)
Miho Hatori (Cibo Matto, Gorillaz)
Sleater-Kinney (3-female indie rock)

Pretty good variety right there, you're bound to like one or all of them, although the vocals in SK could take some getting-used-to.

Ryan

Nov 26, 2002 at 10:38 PM Post #24 of 24
Heres what I like:

Tori Amos
Rickie Lee Jones - All time fave
Indigo Girls - Can't believe nobody brought them up!
Nancy Bryan - Get the JVC XRCD, excellent demo disc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back