Best Emotional Response
Aug 17, 2010 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

tank

New Head-Fier
Might sound like a strange question, but which headphones give you, personally, the strongest emotional response to music?

Aug 17, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #2 of 14
I think it's usually the music itself more so than the phones. I mean Britney Spears on HD800 is not gonna move me more than Schubert's 'Trio in E Flat (D929)' on the iPod stock earbuds. 
darthsmile.gif

Aug 17, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #3 of 14
I agree that the music probably has a stronger influence than the headphones, but I don't think the music alone could sweep you away without something half-way decent to listen to it on. Still, I feel like there has to be a set of phones or speakers, individual to a person, that evoke stronger feelings of being emotionally "alive" than anything else they listen to. 

I don't know if I am communicating my idea well.... I guess the simplest way to express it would be your "sonic happy place" with headphones.

Aug 17, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #5 of 14

Quote:
I think it's usually the music itself more so than the phones. I mean Britney Spears on HD800 is not gonna move me more than Schubert's 'Trio in E Flat (D929)' on the iPod stock earbuds. 
darthsmile.gif

QFT

Aug 17, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #6 of 14
If you have the right headphones for the kind of music you love...you will have an emotional response. It's all about music. 

Aug 17, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #7 of 14
The system synergy and the recordings give me the emotional response and totally involved in the listening with my tube amp and T1. Its like why bother with any more gear. I am at that point now with the CSP2 and my two reference cans.

Aug 17, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #8 of 14
Headphones that don't get in the way of the performance. The HD-800 does that and so do the K-1000, HP-2, O2, DT48, K-240DF, and to an extent, the SA5000. With speakers, the best I've heard so far is the ESL-63. I need to finish the Orion3, though.

Aug 17, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #9 of 14
When I listen to Agalloch on my Grados I find that particularly moving. When I listen to other songs I love on them, not so much. It's a love-hate with the grados, they make acoustic guitar sound phenomenal, but not much else.

Aug 17, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #10 of 14
I like the feeling of how when I listen to a headphone everything just feels right. Not too much of any one thing. Nothing drawing attention to itself. Very few headphones seem to do this for me. For me right now so far it's only been the Triple Fi 10 and Koss DJ Pro 100. Not even the HD-600 has this effect for me sadly, despite them being one of my favorite headphones. Certain headphones seem to match my preferences so closely that often I feel like not bothering with anything else. The triple fi 10's did that for me for about THREE years straight somehow!

Aug 17, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #11 of 14
I just bought a grado sr 225. To me it seems that there is something that puts you into a trance-like state. It is very intimate indeed.

Aug 17, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #12 of 14
The first time I listened to my Grado SR-80is, I was in a "musical happy place" I didn't know existed.  It was my first experience with open back headphones.  The space and detail of the music and the fact that the headphones faded away was just an amazing exerience.  When listening to some Miles Davis on my iPod while I was breaking in my SR-225i's, I had some moments of "wow, these 'pones sound great!!!"

Yes, music gives you the primary response, but good gear intensifies it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back