Best Electro Nu-Wave artist-1979: M (Robin Scott) or Mi-Sex (Steve Gilpin)?
Jul 4, 2008 at 3:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

BIGHMW

100+ Head-Fier
Jul 4, 2008 at 3:55 AM Post #3 of 13
Pretty good one there.

I almost forgot about Devo and their 1979 release, Are We Not Men? We Are Devo!. Thanks for bringing that one to my attention.

Any others for this thread?

Jul 4, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #5 of 13
I was hanging out in the new wave clubs of Chicago back then (Exit, Neo, Lucky Number) and electro that was popular @1980:

Kraftwerk - Man Machine, Computer World
Gary Numan - Replicas, Pleasure Principal
Human League - Dare
OMD - Architecture & Morality, Organization
Soft Cell - Non Stop Erotic Cafe
Normal - Warm Leatherette
Liaisons Dangereuses

Jul 4, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #6 of 13
Mi-Sex!

Heh, sweet thread BIGHMV. You guys have any more suggestions? Man, the videos have aged well.
biggrin.gif

Not no wave, but c'mon where else am I going to talk about this - one of my fave guilty pleasure albums from the era would be Kim Wilde's Select which swung a little more electro-pop project. The album featured killer tracks like Cambodia and View From a Bridge, a suicide ditty typical of the dark themed work. I'm sure the old timers recall it. She's remembered best for her later mainstream radio hit, turned modern muzak staple You Keep Me Hangin On and of course Kids in America off her more patchy debut.

Jul 4, 2008 at 5:38 PM Post #7 of 13
Definitely Mi-Sex. I always remember the video because at the time, my sister and I used to love playing Speed Freak.

Jul 5, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #8 of 13
I know the last two arcade games on the Mi-Sex "Computer Games" video were Basketball (1978) from Atari, and Star Fire (1979) from Exidy, the same company that made Mouse Trap, Pepper II, and Venture for the arcade back in 1982 (all three of those games would later resurface as ColecoVision cartridges), but what was the first game featured on that video? I know it was on a vector monitor instead of a raster monitor? Any Ideas?

Jul 5, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGHMW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know the last two arcade games on the Mi-Sex "Computer Games" video were Basketball (1978) from Atari, and Star Fire (1979) from Exidy, the same company that made Mouse Trap, Pepper II, and Venture for the arcade back in 1982 (all three of those games would later resurface as ColecoVision cartridges), but what was the first game featured on that video? I know it was on a vector monitor instead of a raster monitor? Any Ideas?

I already mentioned it in my last post. It was Speed Freak! I don't think it ever made it to home video.

speed freak video game at arcade-history

YouTube - Speed Freak (Vectorbeam 1977)

Jul 5, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #11 of 13
Some jap-electronica are good.
Logic System - Logic, a hidden gem
YMO - BGM and Solid State Survivor are OK.

Thomas Dolby - The Golden Age of Wireless and The Flat Earth
Heaven 17 - Penthouse and Pavement, How Men Are, The Luxury Gap
Blancmange
Yello
Scritti Politti
etc etc

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #13 of 13
I just got my Sony Australia CD of Mi-Sex's Graffiti Crimes from New Zealand on eBay (it arrived in my mailbox today), and I suggest (I also have the US reissue with both Computer Games [the US version of Graffiti Crimes] and Space Race, their second album on a 2-for-1 disc) that after hearing both that you best get the Sony Austalian import instead of the US 2003 reissue, because it contains all 10 tracks from the original 1979 release plus the hit single "Computer Games", as well as it has a better mix than the US issue, as the latter (the US issue) sounds like it was put through a limiter, and that the highs on it were not allowed to come through like they do on the import.

You can find the import CD (unavailable on Amazon.com) right here on eBay:

MI-SEX Misex Graffiti Crimes 1979 cd NZ New Wave! - eBay (item 190235691609 end time Aug-07-08 19:14:52 PDT)

I got mine in about 2 weeks after it was shipped from Down Under, and I am sure you (or any other Mi-Sex fan) will be happy with what you hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back