Best Earphones that Reproduces Your Source Faithfully!
May 27, 2009 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Starsky5000

500+ Head-Fier
Hi i am looking for an earphone that will reproduce my source faithfully.

Meaning whatever is on cowon d2+ is exactly what i wanna hear without coloring (enhanced bass etc...) of any kind.

My budget is $300.

May 27, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #3 of 13
If no coloration means flat freq. response, I'll recommend ER4P/S or RE0. Then again, I am not so sure you actually want flat freq. response. Some coloration can be a good thing.

May 27, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #4 of 13
I'm seriously eyeing the Etymotic ER4P. But what about the Phonak Audeo?

How do they compare to the Etymotic?

May 27, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starsky5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm seriously eyeing the Etymotic ER4P. But what about the Phonak Audeo?

How do they compare to the Etymotic?

The Etymotic ERP4 has slightly more treble extension but that doesn't mean the Audeo PFE is lacking any treble. The Audeo PFE is more musical while the ERP4 is more clinical.

May 27, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #7 of 13
It depends on how you define "faithfully:" as to listening to the source live or to dissecting it. If it's the latter, then go for the ER4P, it suits your tastes better than the PFE. Or you can save some more and buy the CK100
smily_headphones1.gif
(as for me, I find neither boosting nor suppressing the bass faithful).

May 27, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #8 of 13
RE0, Ety, CK10. I use the CK10 mainly. I use it with E2C black soft flex and my S-adapter and make it a CK10S. I find it is better than the ER4S and RE0. Non-S, I find it nearly identical to the RE0 and slightly better than ER4P. Other than sound-wise the build, size, comfort, and looks are easily the best.

May 28, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #10 of 13
Maybe save up a bit and try Westone UM3X.

May 28, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Adding impedance to CK10?? How does it benefit CK10? More bass?

I will try that later with my CK100 since i dont have impedance adapter with me now

Same as using it with the ER4P except I think it improves the CK10 a bit more than the ER4P->S. Mostly use it unamped for improvement without the added bulk of an amp. More bass amount and slightly better extension on each end and a bit tighter with more detail evident. A difference from the Ety is that the added impedance does not make the CK10 more analytical like the Ety. It actually gives them a groove/better PRAT and makes them more toe tapping and fun.

I do find that the added impedance does slow/smear the RE0 bass a bit. It adds bass to them also but mostly armature phones really bloom with the added impedance. The RE0 and CK10 sound eerily similar till I add the extra impedance then the AT comes together and just has everything.

The AT and RE0 are great phones that are a bit shy of the top end. With the push over the top the CK10 is right there with the best. When I was getting info on the RE0 I asked Frederik S about his take on the RE0 vs. the W3(his review ratings were 9.8 for the RE0 and 9.9 for the Westone and that those were his two in his sig at the time), he said the Westone does everything a bit better than the RE0. With tips/impedance, the CK10 does top the RE0 in most everything and should perform on the Westone level. I would say it is more of the UM3X sound from what I know. Probably a UM3X with less forward mids and a larger soundstage. I only had the UM2 but it is outclassed by either the RE0 or the CK10 regardless of tip/impedance etc.

May 29, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #12 of 13
jant, i tried with my handmade impedance adapter (very crappy build, with low grade materials and solder), it does affect the sound for good. Better lower end extension BUT high end suffer a bit. My ears hear less sparkle than before. Vocal also being pushed back a bit further. Soundstage noticeably bigger all round, even on S639F (soundstage on this player is naturally smaller compared to other player/source).

Details wise sound similar but then i only A/B for few minutes before my impedance cable disjointed...LOL

I might get a new custom impedance adapter from EFN soon for further testing.

*One noticeable concern of using impedance adapter is battery life. I need to increase my volume from normal 12/30 to at around 21/30 to reach near equivalent SPL.

May 29, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #13 of 13
Seems like it is a bit tough to drive if the vocals are getting pushed back. But if the soundstage is larger and not being constricted than it might be the crossover. The CK100 is triple driver which is a more complex set up. The CK10 is totally cohesive either way. Less sparkle with more bass happens sometimes and will be good or bad depending on taste and/or source. You have a Sony which is not as bright like a Cowon D2 or something. Funny, I find my Sony minidisc and the CK10 sounds pretty huge with the added impedance. Tempting me to get the new Sony!

Also might be the cheaper materials as you mentioned. Sounds like you got enough to warrant trying the custom adapter. Remember, some file gain can lower the volume requirement and extend battery life or using less such as 50 Ohm instead of 75 Ohm. The right balance can be found with a little testing.

Less sparkle with more bass happens sometimes and will be good or bad depending on taste and/or source. You have a Sony which is not as bright like a Cowon D2 or something. But also the better materials might keep more treble sparkle. I know that with most cheaper cables I hear less sparkle such as the ones included with the Fiio amps.

9 or 10 volume notches is what I normally need for 75 Ohm. The CK10 is different only needing 5 or 6 volume notches. Of course the exchange, some battery life for some better SQ. The CK10 hits it with a nice jump for only a few volume notches.

The adapter is always a good thing to have, IMO. Great to smooth a hissy pocket radio or tame a bright source or add some SQ in some cases. still one of my best purchases and worth a try to the more serious Head-Fier types who tweak or mod/try everything to get that last 5%-10% out of the gear.

Hope you end up getting as much as you hope out of the CK100, toughnut!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back