Best earphones for running/exercise?
Jul 15, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #17 of 31
I also recommend the Creative ep630.

Whereas the CX300 has a J cable the ep630 has Y cabling which I find much better, especially for sports. I wear the cables over the ear and use a homemade slider (piece of thread) to tighten the fit around the neck....works great for running/biking/gym.

It's worth noting that the IEM design of the ety er6i transmits microphonics much more than something like the cx300/ep630. Also the complete isolation you get with the Etys might not be such a good idea if you exercise outdoors and need to be aware of your surroundings.

If you want better sound quality with great bass the Denon C700 is a fine earphone, however I find it a bit too big for sports....would have preferred the C500 which has now been discontinued and replaced by the C551 which unfortunately has the cable extension connector which I find very unsuitable for sports (unless you wear an armband).

Jul 15, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by suba3333 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also recommend the Creative ep630.

Whereas the CX300 has a J cable the ep630 has Y cabling which I find much better, especially for sports. I wear the cables over the ear and use a homemade slider (piece of thread) to tighten the fit around the neck....works great for running/biking/gym.

It's worth noting that the IEM design of the ety er6i transmits microphonics much more than something like the cx300/ep630. Also the complete isolation you get with the Etys might not be such a good idea if you exercise outdoors and need to be aware of your surroundings.

If you want better sound quality with great bass the Denon C700 is a fine earphone, however I find it a bit too big for sports....would have preferred the C500 which has now been discontinued and replaced by the C551 which unfortunately has the cable extension connector which I find very unsuitable for sports (unless you wear an armband).

Thanks for the tip of the Ety's microphonics, I didn't know that. I imagine the ER-4Ps would have the same problem, or do they have a different cable design?

As far as the CX300s, I currently have a knockaround Sennheiser CX500 which is OK, but not quite the quality that I'm looking for. I'm currently thinking about a Shure SE310 or Ultimate Ears Triple.5 Pro. This is contingent upon good eBay pricing. If I can get either of those for $100ish (with a little give), that's what I'm leaning toward. Jays q-Jay would be a perfect pick, I think, but I wouldn't be able to get those for under $150 (or most likely the Triple.5 Pros, either). The perfect solution may be grabbing a pair of Triple.5 EBs, because I can find them for about $100 and the extended bass (while rather inaccurate and a little sloppy) makes for fun workout music.

Finally, concerning the Denons. I'm looking for a pair of 551s or 751s to play with and they are within my price range, but those things are so heavy! As you said, they would not be good for exercising, especially running. I want a pair to play with anyway though...

Jul 16, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #19 of 31
westones as previously stated mount solidly in the ear, and the cords are very very quiet. if you are going to move around this is important. i think over the ear is a must for activity. regardless of brand......

Jul 17, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by DARKHAVEN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...... I'm looking for a pair of 551s or 751s to play with and they are within my price range, but those things are so heavy! As you said, they would not be good for exercising, especially running. I want a pair to play with anyway though...

The Denons are made from aluminium and are not any heavier than other phones, but they are quite big and do stick out of my ears quite a bit (compared to the CX300/ep630 which sit very flush) - YMMV. I still use them for sports and they sit very securely in my ears (with cable over the ears). If its windy or your move fast, eg on a bike, then the Denon C700 larger body might create more wind noise. As I said before, if I was to buy the Denons for sports use I would now buy the smaller version, which I read has very similar sound (bass might be a bit more pronounced).

Jul 19, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #21 of 31
Well, I've been doing some thinking and I've narrowed it down to three three headphones in two categories. It comes down to an issue of isolation. On the one hand, I like having nice isolation canal phones because I don't want to hear all the traffic and wind around me as I'm jogging. Beyond that, I can listen to them at lower levels, because I'm not trying to overpower the sounds of my surroundings. If I decide to go this route, I'm looking for some high quality, but relatively bass heavy phones (motivation music). I'm currently thinking Atrio M5s or UE Super.Fi 5 Pros. Both are known to offer good range, great bass and good fit/isolation.

On the other hand, maybe I shouldn't use sound isolating phones for running, maybe I should hear the sounds around me for safety's sake. If so, I'm left with an earbud design and as far as I know, pretty much only the Yuin OK2s.

So, that's where I am right now. I'm leaning toward the Atrio M5/UE Super.Fi 5 Pros. Anyone want to weigh-in on these two comparing sound quality, isolation, and fit to run with? I've never personally listened to either, just heard good things. Thanks!

Jul 23, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #23 of 31
As an update, I figured I would save money and just use my Sennheiser CX500s as a knockaround, running pair. Unfortunately, these things have HORRIBLE microphonics! At this point, it's going to be either:

Westone UM1
Yuin OK2
UE Super.Fi 4
Denon AH-C751

I need opinions on these in regards to microphonics, sound quality and isolation (I know the Yuins don't isolate). Finally, are there any Denon 751 owners out there? Can you run with these? Thanks.

Aug 27, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #24 of 31
I am highly considering a pair of cx300's since i can get them for 24.99, plus a $15 off for the rebate, for working out at the gym, would these be decent enough headphones, especially for $10

Aug 27, 2008 at 5:40 AM Post #26 of 31
Why not custom fit IEM's like Freq or LW? They'd offer great isolation with a custom fit.

Freq offers an extended 2-year warranty that includes destruction by accident. Somehow, I don't think a bit of sweat will bother them too much. LW has the great cable with strain relief and gold plating. Again, I would expect great sweat resistance. Since both use a harder plastic, I would expect them to be much easier to clean than foam. I don't know how they'd feel after a couple hours of sweat, though...

Since I'm about to order some LW, including for gym use, I'm interested to hear what more experienced folk think.

Aug 27, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #27 of 31
ok, total noob here, what is microphonics? and i have heard of freq's but not lw, I have heard that the freqs are extremely bass heavy, and as i listen to a ton of techo when i work out, I want some bass, but i would rather have heavy mids and highs then overdone bass. I was bidding on a set of shure se530pths on ebay, but they went way over my spending limit, I would like to find a awesome set for sub 100 but while still giving a worth while investment

Aug 27, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #28 of 31
I exercise with my C551's all the time- no running though, just fast walking. They sound great! I hook the wire over my ear and do not think microphonics are an issue at all. They stay in place quite nicely.

Aug 27, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #29 of 31
Am I the only one here that's worried about isolation while running/cycling outside???

Aug 27, 2008 at 9:56 PM Post #30 of 31
I wouldn't run with the 751s. I don't run with my 551s because they feel all jiggly, like their about to fall out. They might not, but the feeling that they will is distracting. It's the barrel, I think. Longer than the usual roundish Fostex things. The 751s have a longer barrel.

And personally, I'd rather have less isolation for outdoors running. I use my Senn. MX90s to run, and they work great. The OMX series would prolly suit better, though. And of course, there are the Yuins. So, I'm plugging for earbuds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back