Best earphones for listening to metal...
Sep 22, 2010 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Rotatous

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, this is my first post here, so don't be too harsh 

I really need some help with this. I'm looking for some earphones in the price range of $70-130. 

What I'm looking for are some earphones that sound good and have really good noise isolation that are great for listening to metal. Specifically metal. 

It seems that whenever I listen to metal on most earphones that have great reviews, all I get is a really harsh sound thats really hard on my ears. (keep in mind that I have a Zune, which has no EQ)

Surprisingly, the earphones that have sounded the best to me for metal are the Zune Premium V2 earphones that came with my Zune. 
indifferent.gif
 The are pretty damn good for listening to metal, but at times it seems like all of the frequencies are being mushed together and I cant hear anything clearly. Im looking for something better now.

I've heard good things about these, and these.
I've read good things about these:

http://www.thinksound.com/ts01.php

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=klipsch+s4&hl=en&cid=7300270408837925679&ei=BJGaTIfnDIni3ASzos2uBA&sa=title&ved=0CAcQ8wIwADgA#p

And these, just because they are number one on this site:

http://www.amazon.com/HeadDirect-RE0-HEAD-DIRECT-In-ear-Headphones/dp/B001MQ8BL6

Thanks guys.
Hey guys,

I really need some help with this. I'm looking for some earphones in the price range of $70-130. 

What I'm looking for are some earphones that sound good and have really good noise isolation that are great for listening to metal. Specifically metal.

It seems that whenever I listen to metal some really expensive earphones that have great reviews, all I get is a really harsh sound thats really hard on my ears. (keep in mind that I have a Zune, which has no EQ)

Surprisingly, the earphones that have sounded the best to me for metal are the Zune Premium V2 earphones that came with my Zune. :| The are pretty damn good for listening to metal, but at times it seems like all of the frequencies are being mushed together and I cant hear anything clearly. Im looking for something better now.

I've heard good things about these, and these.

Also these:

http://www.thinksound.com/ts01.php - Don't care for the environment crap, I just heard they were good.

Can anyone help out? 

Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

I also want to make it clear that none of the metal I'm using to judge a set of earphones has bad production.

Sep 22, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #2 of 16
metal sounds good on my Klipsch S4's. metal also sounded good on my CX300II's before they died.

Opeth, Dream Theater, Katatonia, Fear Factory, older Metallica are some examples of the metal i listen to if that helps.

Sep 22, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #3 of 16

Quote:
metal sounds good on my Klipsch S4's. metal also sounded good on my CX300II's before they died.

Opeth, Dream Theater, Katatonia, Fear Factory, older Metallica are some examples of the metal i listen to if that helps.

Good to know. Would you mind elaborating a bit though? Were they harsh? did they lack bass at all? 

Thanks

Sep 22, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #4 of 16
I would stay very far away from the TS01 and especially the S4 if you fear harsh treble.

If you like the idea of Thinksound, the new TS02 will be more up your alley as they've smoothed out the treble somewhat. I've had the Zune Premium V2 and they are very smooth-sounding phones but not the most detailed or resolving. The RE0 has a hair less bass presence than the Zune Premium buds but other than that should work well for metal as well. Same with the newer RE-ZERO. If you want to really steer clear of harsh treble there's the Radius DDM, which can reportedly be had for around $120 but has mediocre isolation, the ViSang R03 (aka Brainwavz M2), and the Xears TD100-II.

Sep 23, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #5 of 16

Quote:
I would stay very far away from the TS01 and especially the S4 if you fear harsh treble.

If you like the idea of Thinksound, the new TS02 will be more up your alley as they've smoothed out the treble somewhat. I've had the Zune Premium V2 and they are very smooth-sounding phones but not the most detailed or resolving. The RE0 has a hair less bass presence than the Zune Premium buds but other than that should work well for metal as well. Same with the newer RE-ZERO. If you want to really steer clear of harsh treble there's the Radius DDM, which can reportedly be had for around $120 but has mediocre isolation, the ViSang R03 (aka Brainwavz M2), and the Xears TD100-II.

Do you think the TS02's would be a good replacement for the Zune Premiums V2's? I'm pretty new to all of this, but I know when I hear a great sounding set of earphones. I'm looking for really good noise isolation because I have pretty large ear canals, so the Radius DDM's might not work for me. Not sure about the other two. I'd like to know more about the Brainwavz M2's also.

Thanks for the response. 

Sep 23, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
Do you think the TS02's would be a good replacement for the Zune Premiums V2's? I'm pretty new to all of this, but I know when I hear a great sounding set of earphones. I'm looking for really good noise isolation because I have pretty large ear canals, so the Radius DDM's might not work for me. Not sure about the other two. I'd like to know more about the Brainwavz M2's also.

I guess that depends what direction you want to go in from the ZPV2... The TS02 is quite warm, has plenty of bass (but not excessive amounts), smooth mids, and slightly hyped-up treble without the harshness of the TS01. Isolation is slightly above average - probably pretty close to the ZPV2. The M2/R03 is also warm but more forward in the midrange than the TS02 and quite a bit smoother. It's one of the least offensive earphones I've heard without sounding completely rolled-off up top. It doesn't really 'wow' at first listen (much like the ZPV2) but never gets fatiguing or boring... IMO of course.

Sep 23, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #7 of 16
Do you know of a place I could order the M2/R03's from (in the U.S.)?

I think what I'll do is buy the m2's and if I don't like them, send them back and try the TS02's.

Thanks for the help!

Sep 23, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:
Do you know of a place I could order the M2/R03's from (in the U.S.)?

If you're hoping for a store that will ship from the US, I'm afraid it doesn't exist. They are manufactured in and shipped from China. You can get the OEM version (ViSang R03) on Ebay ($58 from this seller) and the Mp4nation Brainwavz M2 rebrand from mp4nation.net (currently $49.50). Both sellers are reliable but in my experience buying off ebay is 1-2 weeks faster on average. The mp4nation version comes with a slightly different set of accessories and the earphones have a 45-degree plug rather than a straight I-plug. 

Sep 23, 2010 at 8:24 AM Post #10 of 16
Here's my choice, since you don't need an iPod/iPhone style in-line controller:

Etymotic Research mc5

I just got the related Etymotic mc3 headset (essentially an mc5 with in-line iPod/iPhone controls) and love them for their flat, neutral response.

Sep 23, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #12 of 16
the S4's were a bit harsh and sibilant right out of the box, but after a little over 100 hours now i find myself wanting more on the top end. so i wouldn't say they are harsh or sibilant after a good break in. of course this has already been stated over and over and over here in this forum.

i do have the Brainwavz M2's on order and should be seeing them any day now. i'll do a little comparison after i get some listening time on them.

Sep 23, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #13 of 16
If he's scared of harshness or sibilance he should get the RE1 instead of the RE0,  I heard one of the best assets of the RE1 is it's good at removing harshness and sibilance, making overly harsh music, or just bad recordings, more pleasant and less fatiguing.  Also it's nicknamed "dragon" which would appeal to a metalhead.

Sep 23, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #14 of 16

Hello, I have created a new thread with a metal track for testing IEM's, I am focusing the test on speed and instrument-seperation only, if these are important to you, you should find a lot
of help in my new thread (if people participate) =) *wink*

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/514102/testing-for-speed-in-iem-s-sharing-my-audio-test-track-w-link-speed-metal-visual-kei-symphonic-metal-instrumental-electric-guitar-shredding

Sep 23, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #15 of 16
I'm pretty undecided between the TS02's, the RE1's, and the R03's.

I'd like to try the RE1's or the TS02's just because they seem to be easier to obtain. 

I think I'll order the TS02's first. That is, unless you guys have some more info on these you think I could use. 

Thanks for the help guys! I'll definitely be back again for more help when picking out some full size headphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back