Best Earphones For Cycling....?
Apr 30, 2011 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

CardasHD650

Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Not been on here for a while but can anyone give me some good ideas into the best £40/£80 = $80/$160 earphones for cycling and extreme sports please. I don’t want to compromise the soundstage, nor practicality, ...and obviously its not very wise cycling with noise cancelling earphones either lol.

I’m looking at the AKG K319 and Sennheiser CX 95, but like I say I need a balance between soundstage, practicality and with the least noise cancellation .

Many thanks in advance, chaps!

M

Apr 30, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #2 of 31
I wear Sennheiser PX100 II's on my bike. They sound great with a good soundstage but they still allow background sounds to be heard. If they have a weakness it's that they can't be worn with a hat but apart from that I love them. I used to use IEM's but the isolation just made me paranoid that I was about to be roadkill anytime soon so I gave up on them.

Apr 30, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #3 of 31
Here's a very positive review on the sennheiser mx 85 earbuds by another cyclist.
http://anythingbutipod.com/2011/03/sennheiser-mx-85-sport-review/

May 1, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #4 of 31
Thanks very much on the reply's!

Yeah that’s the only problem with the PX100, Zorro’ but as you say; I wouldn’t be able to ware an helmet or hat – so I’m swaying to JxK’s suggestion here. Brilliant review and I think you’ve found me a winner here, good sir! But like the fella say’s in the review, ...or indeed what I believe to be true? ...the AKG K319 and Senn CX 95 are far superior in sound but fall far behind the practicality of the job in hand! I definitely believe the Senns MX 85 are the one’s!

Thanks again, good on ya’s! 
beerchug.gif

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:12 AM Post #6 of 31
Not to douse the fun here, but getting IEMs for anything that has something to do with cycling outdoors will only expose you to heightened levels of harm and injury. If you really want to listen to music while cycling, either get earphones that do not seal outside/ambient noise or just cycle indoors (stationary bike?). 

Just doing a service to a fellow cyclist (I'm a road cyclist here :D). 

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #7 of 31

Quote:
Not to douse the fun here, but getting IEMs for anything that has something to do with cycling outdoors will only expose you to heightened levels of harm and injury. If you really want to listen to music while cycling, either get earphones that do not seal outside/ambient noise or just cycle indoors (stationary bike?). 

Just doing a service to a fellow cyclist (I'm a road cyclist here :D). 

Right... As a fellow cyclist, I can say that I hear this nonsense a lot on forums. I've personally cycled for years with IEM's and not once have I got  harm or injury coming my way! The trick is: don't be a complete idiot - use IEM's only on routes that you know to be safe and quiet enough. I wouldn't use IEM's on chaotic, busy roads, but I do use them on quiet cycling routes that don't have too many intersections.

As for the original question: the best IEM's for cycling are definitely the ones that can be fit with Comply foams or Shure Olives. You need the best isolation possible and you can only get it with foam-type plugs or Etymotics (deep inserted flange-types). Many of the good foam-type IEM's fall behind your price range. Phonak Audeo's and Etymotics might have the best price-performance ratio in your price range.

Quote:
On my search to find some of the best cycling headphones I found this site: www.workoutheadphones.org

They just rated headphones for 2011, check these out: Best Biking Headphones of 2011

Hopefully that helps anyone finding this thread in the future!

I very much disagree with that list about biking headphones, those don't work at all for cycling and were very probably selected by someone who doesn't do cycling at all. For running that list works, but not for cycling (for running you can't use in-ears because of the thump). Also about the Sony earphones - they don't produce enough isolation. If you do wan't to listen to music, you need the best isolation - otherwise your not listening to music, your listening to noise.

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #8 of 31
The B&W C5 are easy to wear and they stay in the ear and they sound great with good isolation and punchy bass repsonse. The other IEMs like  Sonyy EX310, EX510, B2, M4 and Etymotic HF5 are great for sports use too.

Jan 28, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #9 of 31

Quote:
I very much disagree with that list about biking headphones, those don't work at all for cycling and were very probably selected by someone who doesn't do cycling at all. For running that list works, but not for cycling (for running you can't use in-ears because of the thump). Also about the Sony earphones - they don't produce enough isolation. If you do wan't to listen to music, you need the best isolation - otherwise your not listening to music, your listening to noise.

I'd say your wrong on all accounts.

1.  I just purchased the Sennheiser PMX 680 and they're awesome.
2.  Noise Isolation is not the same as Noise Cancelling.  You will still hear ambient "noise" with noise isolating headphones.
3.  You do not want IEMs when cycling unless you're planning on having 2 pairs of headphones, 1 pair for isolated routes, and another for busy routes.  You're better off using that list than listening to your advice.

Jul 19, 2012 at 6:54 AM Post #11 of 31
[size=medium]Guys,[/size]

[size=medium]Any further recommendations?[/size]

[size=medium]And for the record, I currently use IEM’s (Sennheiser CX200) for cycling, it’s all about how you cycle and obviously been attentive to your surrounding.[/size]

[size=medium]In any case, the problem I have with mine is that hey keep falling off even with the biggest buds, so I would be in the market for some new ones. Given I do around 100/150 Miles a week I NEED music.[/size]
[size=medium]J[/size]

Jul 19, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #12 of 31
I suggest one use an open headphone or open earphones when cycling or running. The $8 JVC HA-EB75 earbuds with earhooks is a good inexpensive choice. It sounds much better than I expected given its low price. The Koss KSC75 or Sportapro are good choices at around $20.

Jul 19, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #13 of 31
Quote:
(Snip) 2.  Noise Isolation is not the same as Noise Cancelling.  You will still hear ambient "noise" with noise isolating headphones.

Wrong... I would say rather that it depends on the Noise Isolating IEM. Some are better than others.

@JohnerH...

I have heard it said that a good pair of Shure IEMs have worked great for cycling.

Have a look at them.

Jim

Jul 23, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #14 of 31
CardaasHD650

do you do road cycling or mountain cycling (free riding, downhill).

If road, what is your average speed? Mountain, any IEM is game as long as it is not jarred lose.

As a road cyclist. the faster your average speed is regardless of road conditions and traffic, more reason not to wear anything.

at an average speed of 18+ mph (28+kp/h), things are passing by quickly to ever consider having BOTH ear covered, one ear perhaps but both at those speed (which are quite speedy but not pro speed by any means) it won't take long for any person to get into trouble. So if you are doing 28+ kmph on average..forego "music" all together. Like driving a car at 65 with headphones on...asking for trouble. :wink:

Jul 23, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #15 of 31
CardaasHD650

do you do road cycling or mountain cycling (free riding, downhill).

If road, what is your average speed? Mountain, any IEM is game as long as it is not jarred lose.

As a road cyclist. the faster your average speed is regardless of road conditions and traffic, more reason not to wear anything.

at an average speed of 18+ mph (28+kp/h), things are passing by quickly to ever consider having BOTH ear covered, one ear perhaps but both at those speed (which are quite speedy but not pro speed by any means) it won't take long for any person to get into trouble. So if you are doing 28+ kmph on average..forego "music" all together. Like driving a car at 65 with headphones on...asking for trouble. :wink:

With your having said all of that...

How do the deaf do it?

Thanks, Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back