(best) dynamic driver iem
Jun 6, 2020 at 4:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

magicalmouse

500+ Head-Fier
hi i have the etymotic er2xr and wonder if there is a better one available

1. good isolation
2. warm balanced signature (no excess bass and definitely no excess treble)
3. good/superb with vocal music
4. no leakage

i prefer the sound of dynamic drivers

d

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #2 of 33

1. good isolation

d

To be honest, I don't think there is much out there that is decisively better than the er2xr, just different. In terms of your three criteria, the er2xr is exemplary in those areas.

Jun 6, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #3 of 33
Jvc fdx1 is the best single dd I've ever heard but needs a touch of EQ to lower 3-6k octave and isn't the most comfy for long sessions.

It is neutral, not bass emphasized. Has top notch natural timbre

Jun 6, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #4 of 33

1. good isolation
4. no leakage

d
I agree that the JVC FDX1 is the most technically adept single dynamic driver that I’ve heard thus far. Very detailed, dynamic, fast.
1. Isolation is only average.
2. Cooler, more analytic signature overall, but no excess bass and no excess treble. It‘s the upper mids that can be harsh and may need damping.
3. The FDX1 is superb with vocal music. It is also superb with classical, jazz, acoustic music.
4. Leakage is average for an IEM.

- Maybe also look into the Tanchjim Oxygen or the Final Audio E1000.

Really, the ER2XR is a very unique IEM.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #5 of 33
Them JVCs are so overrated...

Jun 6, 2020 at 12:24 PM Post #6 of 33
Jun 6, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #7 of 33
I wonder if anybody can compare some TOTL DD sets like:
- Beyerdynamic Xelento/A&K T8iE
- Sony MDR-EX1000
- Acoustune HS1650
- Sennheiser IE800
- Campfire Atlas

vs midfi DD sets like:
- Sony MDR-EX800ST/MDR7550
- Final Audio E5000
- JVC HA FDX01
- Tanchjim Oxygen
- Etymotics

vs some $100ish DD sets like:
- Moondrop Starfield
- Tin HIFI T4
- KBEAR Diamond
- WG T-one
- Toneking Ninetails
- some TFZs?

I would be interested to see how much improvement (or diminishing returns) is there between the TOTL to midfi to budget level DD sets. I really like DD timbre and subbass rumble/decay and coherency, so am seeing how high up the ladder one should go for audio nirvana. Thanks in advance!!!

(I know the BLON BL-03 is a mega hypetrain and will pop up in all DD discussions. Yes it has good timbre and tonality, but the fit is atrocious and the technicalities/midbass bleed ain't the best, so there are definitely better DD sets out there, but BLON is good value yes.)

Jun 6, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #8 of 33
If you don’t like them they are. It just so happens many people like them.

They need EQing, damping and whatnot. That should be a big clue they aren't the second coming some make them out to be...

Jun 6, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #10 of 33
They need EQing, damping and whatnot. That should be a big clue they aren't the second coming some make them out to be...
All true. It is a very capable IEM, limited by it’s stock tuning, but if you’re willing to customize it, it can become one of the most capable single DD IEMs. Nothing hidden about the customization options or the origins of the FDX1. Whenever I recommend them, I always mention the need to be willing to tinker a bit. I would‘t equate excitement about their potential to be the same as over-hype. But, maybe you’ve run into a lot of people who do hype it w/o mentioning the caveats.

Jun 6, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #11 of 33
If you don't need isolation, nothing beats the Sony EX1000 as a DD iem.

Jun 6, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #12 of 33
No idea what price range you have but the Dunu Luna is in a class of its own.
Or the Final Audio A8000? But unfortunately, none of these options really address the isolation and leakage features of the ER2XR.

Jun 6, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #13 of 33
If you don't need isolation, nothing beats the Sony EX1000 as a DD iem.

If you can cope with the horrible fit and cable and above all the atrocious 5.5kHz peak... They could do with a bit more bass too.

Jun 6, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #14 of 33
Or the Final Audio A8000? But unfortunately, none of these options really address the isolation and leakage features of the ER2XR.
Having heard both, I think it will have too much treble for OP’s requirements. But everyone is different.

Edit: Leakage isn’t an issue for these as much as isolation when compared to the Etys. The isolation on both is good; and I know with the Luna and custom tips it’s close enough to ‘Etymotic-like‘ in terms of isolation (I had the hf5/hf3 for while a few years ago. I’m assuming the isolation on these is pretty similar to the er2xr.)

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #15 of 33

I think more people would agree with that take if IEM tunings weren't all over the place. They're way more different and niche than most headphone and speaker tunings, not to mention that since you may feel fatigue more acutely with an IEM, tuning preferences carry more weight. (Also explains the Blon hype which I'm a part of.) So when an IEM comes along that can offer superior technicalities at a reasonable price, the fact that it needs some adjustment doesn't seem all that unusual to me. Then if it takes EQ well, that increases its value to me. But my experience might be different from yours.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back