Best drug-related album/CD or most "trippy" CD/album...
Feb 11, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #106 of 124
I would say Psy-Trance or Goa. I listen to what people consider "psychedelic" rock from the 60's and forward but NOTHING has ever made me tripping like PsyTrance or Goa. Nothing from Beatles, nor Pink Floyd nor Jefferson Airplane etc. Don't get me wrong - I listen to classic/hard/psychedelic rock more often than to anything electronic, but when I want really psychedelic, trance-inducing stuff that will make me jump crazily like a monkey while being in a deep trance and sometimes even without alcohol or ganja (I haven't smoked weed since 2008!! and I have never taken any other drug), I go for psytrance, sometimes Goa. BUT I have never had LSD, therefore maybe I cannot properly judge what is psychedelic (I don't think so, as I have had many psychedelic experiences on psytrance parties, with the help of only alcohol or weed). The difference between those two is that Goa is an older genre, but still being made (see Suntrip records for example). Goa is based on melodies and layers of various electronic instruments creating harmonies and crazily flowing and twisting and twirling err...melodies... and taking you to an endless trip into the universe and so on...while psytrance is less organic and melodic and more technical and "sci-fi"-like, I would say based on hard-hitting rhythms and more straightforward melodies. There are of course many subgenres of psytrance, some are dark, fast with few or no melodies at all, based on crazy psychedelic sounds and echoes and other effects; while others are more melodic, with 1/16 notes as a bassline and some stuff on it etc. My favorite subgenres of psytrance are South African psytrance, which somehow blends darker sound with some great acid melodies and sounds; and the British stuff from labels like Wild Things Records, Last Possible Solution or Ambivalent Records - especially Wild Things put out some extremely psychedelic (IMO) stuff that makes me go crazy very very easily and quickly... For example try to listen to track "Mutiny" from EVP on youtube, which is from his album "Holographic Consciousness", that's some ********* crazy s**t! All that album is excellent but this track is the best. Also check out stuff from Realitygrid. THAT is psychedelia in its purest form IMO. All this is my opinion of course and there are millions of people who would have vastly different opinions, I'm sure. However - I have some friends who "would never listen to any electronic music" and after being brought to a psytrance party rarely listened to anything else than psytrance. And I'm not a fan of mainstream electronic dance music. I listen to drum and bass sometimes but that's it. I don't like commercial house, trance nor techno, I HATE that stupid thing called "dubstep" and I extremely loathe electro, and I think that all that mainstream (electronic or non-electronic) music, especially modern pop and stuff like that completely lacks any soul or idea. Psytrance and Goa give me something that no other genres could - go and visit some psytrance parties and you will understand what I mean. Still, when I want the best "listening pleasure", I put on my HD650's and play some The Who, Beatles, AC/DC, Buffalo Springfield, CCR, Hendrix, Steppenwolf, The Band; or some more contemporary artists like Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Foo Fighters, Soundgarden, (old) Radiohead, U2, REM; or yet, when I'm in the mood something harder like Metallica, Machine Head or Deftones. And all of those I just mentioned can be quite psychedelic also, but I have never experienced such state of trance and cosmic visions in my head like when listening to quality pystrance.

For anyone interested (if there's anyone), here is a list of my favorite Goa/Psy-Trance artists:

Goa (old-school):

Astral Projection
Man with No Name
Hallucinogen (Simon Postford, a real legend, not much goa, more like old-school PsyTrance/PsyTechno IMO, later involved in some great more ambient/chillout/dub stuff, like Younger Brother or Shpongle, both VERY GOOD)
Pleidians
Transwave
X-Dream
and many more...

Goa (new-school):
Khetzal
Ra
Goasia
Filteria
E-Mantra
Afgin (most of his music is available legally for free on www.ektoplazm.com, contains a lot of uplifting, sometimes slightly "cheesy" melodies, I like his music very much!)
and many more...

Psy-Trance:
Shift
Twisted System
Brethren (older stuff, newer stuff is not very good IMO)
Phyx
Pitch Hikers
Artifakt
Absolum
Phatmatix
RAM
Deviant Species
RealityGrid
E.V.P.
Error Corrective
Avalon
and many more...

I could go on and talk about Psychedelic Trance all day really but this sums it up. There's also a lot of important stuff I forgot to mention but I think ^^^this represents my opinion on this subject nicely.
Have a nice day and - of course - don't take it too seriously :)

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #108 of 124
LOL

Feb 12, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #109 of 124
Quote:
...Zaireeka...

Did this when I lived with 3 other people in a house once, all stereo's cranked, all coming from different bedrooms, snaking through the kitchen, hallways, and living room.  We laid in what we assumed to be the central most point, stoned out of our minds.  I don't remember much after starting the album, but then again, I don't remember much about living in that house in general.  All in all, a great experience.

I highly recommend reading about the experiment the Flaming Lips did with cars in parking lots, which ultimately lead to the Zaireeka album.  

http://janecek.com/parkinglot.html

Feb 12, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #110 of 124
Also, why hasn't Sun Ra been mentioned yet????

As well as just about anything from Geinoh Yamashirogumi, the collective that did the soundtrack for Akira.

May 18, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #113 of 124
Might I suggest: DJ Frane's Fantasic Boat Ride?  You will lose track of time, no doubt!

Jul 18, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #114 of 124
ah , good drugs and good music - the perfect combination
tongue.gif

well here are a few (amazing with or without drugs) albums off the top of my head , and i consider myself to have a very nice taste in music , so check them out those who like music made by geniuses and not hyped up monkeys like Lady Gaga / kanye West etc

Primal Scream - Vanishing Point ( great album , probably better than their most known 'screamadelica)

Brian Eno - Ambient 4 : On land (best ambient album , with good weed this album is an EXPERIENCE)

Marvin Gaye - What's going on ( angels dripping sonic honey in your stoned ears)

Manuel Gottschring - Inventions For Electric Guitar ( A-M-A-Z-I-N-G stuff , krautrock from the future)

Can - Future Days (see the comment on Manuel)

David Crosby – If I Could Only Remember My Name (you can 'see' them passing around the Js)

Massive Attack - Mezzanine ( Greatest 90s electronica album)

Sly & The Family Stone - There's A Riot Goin' On ( Greatest 70s funk album , the sound of coke/paranoia)

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Volume II (trippy masterpiece)

The Mars Volta - Frances The Mute ( prog rock/salsa - Frank Zappa meets Santana meets King Crimson meets Tito Puente masterpiece)

damn , music is THE drug.

Jul 27, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #117 of 124
Nice list proedros.

My favorite is the Dead's Dark Star. Of the million or so versions available, the first Live Dead LP version is still my favorite. There were many others but I'll mention one more; Van Der Graaf Generator's Pawn Hearts.

These days I'm 100% clean and lucky to be alive. Still love that trippy old stuff.

Jul 31, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #120 of 124
Trippy headphone music:

Boards of Canada, Music Has a Right to Children
Brian Eno, Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks
Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon
Nightmares on Wax, Carboot Soul
Mellow, Another Mellow Spring

smily_headphones1.gif

This is great compilation.  There are so many to choose from.  So I think that this particular forum needs to break out into 5 or 6 different forums; it depends on what type of altered experience you're looking for.  
Carboot Soul will give you a warm and fuzzy, mellow experience, while BoC would give you a very intellectual journey.  My DJ Frane Fantastic Boat Voyage is much like the Carboot Soul journey.
Trippy and psychedelic should also be a subcategory.  
For higher energy, look to Mr. Bill.  Maybe Tripswitch

I'm usually one who prefers the mellow and positive-vibe journey.  If you like Carboot Soul and that DJ Frane album, really should give Lemon Jelly a try; if I were to pick an album, probably Lost Horizons.
Other goodies:
Jon Hopkins
East Forest
The Flashbulb
Helios

Users who are viewing this thread

Back