Best DIY HeadPhone Amp
Feb 3, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #2 of 32
Well, naturally "best" is extremely subjective...

My vote for "best" goes to AMB's Balanced 4 board Beta 22. Kits can be bought here

Feb 3, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #4 of 32
Lolz, probably not as good as a 4 channel Beta22.

This should be in the DIY forum.

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lolz, probably not as good as a 4 channel Beta22.

This should be in the DIY forum.

We talk about DIY amps in the main amp section all the time .... the post is fine here.

Back to the topic, try a Hybrid. I love the sound of these amps with low impedance Alessandro/ Grados.

The Milet starving Student amp is inexpensive, easy to build and sounds great. If you want something more upscale the Millet Max or Mini- Max is a superior sounding amp. If you want the top of the line try a Stacker.

ssmh1frontyv4.jpg

MAXcollage.jpg

13122008269dd9.jpg

Picture025.jpg

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitarist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did anyone try the amp from the Systm episode.

Yeah, that's called a CMoy. Everyone and their dog has built one. It's not bad, by any means, but hardly "the best". It is, in fact, pretty near the bottom of DIY amps. Here's a bit more info on it.

Feb 3, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

So i'm looking to make my own headphone amp

So i'm asking whats the best DIY headphone amp (kits...)

Thanks!!!

More info needed.

What headphones will you be using?
Do you want tubes, opamp, or solid state?
Is price a concern? (it always is a concern what is your limit)
What is your skill level? Comfortable doing case work and small soldering, can you debug your build. Many of the higher end DIY amps are much more open ended in design and makes debugging harder.
Do you want balanced, SE, active ground?

Basically you need to define "best". What you are asking for is basically the same if I were to post on these forums, "What is the best food? I want to make myself dinner tonight."

Feb 3, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #8 of 32
A couple of candidates:
* Quad β22 (balanced), with dual σ22
* KGBH

Feb 3, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #9 of 32
The best? Take a look a nmaher's Menace, designed with Pete Millett. Gilmore's Dynamight, or a four channel Beta22 are also excellent. If you like minimalism, take a look at Ciuffoli's SESS - my next project. If you really want to go for it, ask Frank Cooter for some of his schematics - his amps are incredible. You can also clone any number of high-end commercial amps. It might take some digging to find schematics, but many of them are out there if you know who to ask.

Anyhow, what are you looking for, how much do you want to spend, what are you comfortable working with, and what's your associated equipment?

Feb 3, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #11 of 32
As far as price/performance ratio, my vote would go to the CK²-III.

For 'cost no option' go ß22. 3-channel (active ground) is fine unless you're planning on running balanced.

Feb 3, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Well i'm also looking for something thats the best in price / perfomance
smily_headphones1.gif
)

I'm interested in all 3 versions but i would like to start based on an opamp
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Thanks!!!

I do not have personal experience with it, but it is on my list to build and the is AMB M^3 The M³ Stereo Headphone Amplifier

Is a highly respected opamp design using an active ground and mosfet output stage. Pair it with a sigma11 power supply The σ11 Regulated Power Supply. You can probably find these from some vendors as a kit.

I have built a few of AMB projects and he does a standup job supporting any questions and in general just helping the DIY community. I did a price out for just the M^3 with case and I think my BOM came out to ~$300 US.

Feb 3, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodySteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as price/performance ratio, my vote would go to the CK²-III.

For 'cost no option' go ß22. 3-channel (active ground) is fine unless you're planning on running balanced.

How much does a no boutique parts CK²-III cost to build?

Feb 4, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #14 of 32
At the risk of showing my ignorance, what is the first three-tubed hybrid headphone amp on the last row of the pictures that SACD placed on this thread? I see that it's a Cavalli Audio(???).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back