Best DIY amp?
May 16, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #16 of 51
The disease really is infectious and very harmful to the wallet!
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm planning a parts list for a DAC201 with balanced outputs, and because of the balanced out, I'm required to build a balanced amp (of course!
smily_headphones1.gif
). So, after the DAC, planning a Dynamid (I think), and also a Dynahi PSU. (My wallet is crying out in pain already!)

May 16, 2006 at 6:18 PM Post #17 of 51
The thing that has kept me from getting into the DIY thing is the amount of gear needed to build the more advanced designs. Good soldering stations, multimeters, drill/dremmel for case work and depending on how advanced you're going to go, perhaps an oscilloscope. These are all expensive and add up quickly. This isn't even considering the consumables you'll need like wiring, solder, etc... Don't get into DIY because you want to save money, get into it because you're interested in the hobby and learning more about the gear you're enjoying.

May 16, 2006 at 6:33 PM Post #18 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmirza
The thing that has kept me from getting into the DIY thing is the amount of gear needed to build the more advanced designs. Good soldering stations, multimeters, drill/dremmel for case work and depending on how advanced you're going to go, perhaps an oscilloscope. These are all expensive and add up quickly. This isn't even considering the consumables you'll need like wiring, solder, etc... Don't get into DIY because you want to save money, get into it because you're interested in the hobby and learning more about the gear you're enjoying.

I guess its a good thing that what I need is easly accessable to me, and I'm not in this to save money... if I wanted to save money i would put a perminate block on this website on every computer i came into contact with
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 16, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #19 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilR
You've been warned!

And then around the 3rd amp or so, you will start accumulating things like oscilloscopes and singal generators. This is a sickness and it's highly communicable, spreading digitally via the internet. I'm surprised we don't all have to register with the CDC.

by the 4th amp you consider dropping $2k on an HP spectrum analyzer

May 16, 2006 at 7:47 PM Post #20 of 51
Quote:

If you have any interest in tubes at all, you almost have to build a Millet.

Well, recently there's been the YAHA and the SOHA and who knows what, so there are some alternative (and cheaper) options for DIY tube amps.

But the rest of your post is absurd. Everyone knows it's not important whether you want portability or pure SQ or whatever. Just build all of them
smily_headphones1.gif

"Welcome to DIY, sorry about your wallet" <----- why I'm not in DIY :p

May 16, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #21 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by gigit
And one more question: Are there any balanced DIY amps out there? I have been searching for thoes for some time also, but have not been able to come up with pretty much anything reguarding well-known ones, and if attemps at them have been successfull or not (I might just be using the wrong keywords in my searches)

There are tons of documentation on what's now known as the "dynamid" or "balanced dynalo". You'll get more results searching for "balanced gilmore amp". Search for posts by BoyElroy. More recently, dgardner posted a lot of info. Search also on headwize. A lot of tubes designs are to be found there. Both cheap low voltage ones and more expensive high voltages ones.

May 16, 2006 at 10:06 PM Post #22 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey
Well, recently there's been the YAHA and the SOHA and who knows what, so there are some alternative (and cheaper) options for DIY tube amps.

... snip

If I'm not mistaken, despite the simplicity and low cost, the SOHA still uses the typical 100+ voltage to drive the tube. I haven't studied the YAHA yet, but it appears to be a super-small tube-in-a-tin version of a CMoy. AFIK, the Millett is still the quality option DIY tuber down in the 12-24V range of solid-state.

I'm on the waiting list for the SOHA boards, regardless. If I'm going to get bit, maybe that one's the tamest.
rolleyes.gif

May 16, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #23 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb
If I'm not mistaken, despite the simplicity and low cost, the SOHA still uses the typical 100+ voltage to drive the tube. I haven't studied the YAHA yet, but it appears to be a super-small tube-in-a-tin version of a CMoy. AFIK, the Millett is still the quality option DIY tuber down in the 12-24V range of solid-state.

I'm on the waiting list for the SOHA boards, regardless. If I'm going to get bit, maybe that one's the tamest.
rolleyes.gif

I believe the SOHA develops about 80 volts unloaded, and 55-60V loaded with a running tube.

I've been studying that circuit for about 3 months and I'm not sure if I'm going to bread board it or have a board made from an altered design idea.

As I said before, someone please stop me if I start getting serious about this
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 16, 2006 at 11:17 PM Post #24 of 51
Quote:

Don't feel bad- everybody goes through the same thing.

The really fun part of this DIY (for me) is that I can make exactly what I want. It takes a while to figure out all the various strengths and weaknessed and design trade-offs that are involved. I now have a relatively tiny amp (Pint), a Pimeta which fits somewhere in the small category, a transportable battery powered unit (PPA) for patio and travel, a no compromise desktop (M3) and a fun-to-tinker-with Millet.

[size=xx-large]SOMEONE PLEASE.... STOP ME BEFORE I BUILD AGAIN!!!!!![/size]

Oh yea, I gotta finish up those Meir Cross-feeds.

icon10.gif

What, no DIY DACs yet? You know you need a bunch of those as well, a mini battery powered jobbie for use with the H140 you need to buy and modify, a bus powered USB DAC with built in amp for a portable laptop rig (Dont got a laptop yet? Here is your chance to justify one
very_evil_smiley.gif
), a NOS DAC so you can hear what so many people are raving about, and a fully maxed out differential PCM1704 dac with USB, SPDIF, and I²S inputs, custom discrete clock, discrete regulated PS, and everything.

May 16, 2006 at 11:47 PM Post #25 of 51
You're a very nasty man, Mr. Toole. You're like those drug dealers that sell to little kids behind the school yard. You should be ashamed of yourself!

(That was for public consumption.... now let's get down to business)

So what do you think would be a good starter DAC?
eggosmile.gif

May 17, 2006 at 1:52 AM Post #26 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb

rolleyes.gif

there's a group buy for PCB there in Headwize Marketplace. closing by the end of this month.

the YAHA is a single ended low voltage hybrid tube amp. you could possibly call it a simplified Hybrid Millet.

Quote:

You're a very nasty man, Mr. Toole. You're like those drug dealers that sell to little kids behind the school yard. You should be ashamed of yourself!

(That was for public consumption.... now let's get down to business)

So what do you think would be a good starter DAC?
eggosmile.gif

maybe the Guzzler DAC or the PCM2702 USB DAC rev. 2 perhaps? or you could always jump to the complex Dakiller's DAC that uses 2XPCM1704.
it's always my preference to start slowly, and learn from experience, but you could possibly waste money by building those intermediate projects before jumping into something high-end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back