Best DIY Amp <$200 for moderately skilled
May 27, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

With regard to MisterX... I am by no means disagreeing with you but AMB put up a spreadsheet on his M3 page that sets the rough subtotal at $150 without power supply, enclosure (which I will be fabricating myself anyway) or input/output jacks. Since I lack the ability to compare parts on an individual basis I would be interested to know how your subtotals are so different from his.

Here is the link to the Mouser project I put together---->

http://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager...sID=0f379e5bc5
(one of the items is backordered and I changed a couple of items since posting the image)

And here is one for a tread--->

http://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager...sID=44b4f5bde4

(which ironically is slightly cheaper then ordering an Elpac from allied)

May 27, 2009 at 8:19 PM Post #17 of 22
The CTH is a great project with kits available for about $150 USD. But I dunno if it's for "moderate skills" (really depends what that means).
In terms of DIY amps with pcbs available it is among the more difficult to assemble (and troubleshoot) imo.

May 27, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #18 of 22
IIRC, you can get substitute chips for the Dynalo and Dynahi at Dan Gardner's site now. The trouble with the Dynahi is the casing and requisite heatsinking. I haven't started on it (and the backlog grows) but I put away boards and chips for a Dynamight a couple years ago, as well as a massive 12"x12" heatsink I scoured for $60. Aluminum for the rest of the case will probably run another $100.

Anyhow, I think the Dynalo is a good choice because it runs off a wallwart. You don't have to build - or troubleshoot - a power suply. That takes out several steps and considerably lowers the risk. They sound pretty damn good, too. The CK2III has an onboard power supply which makes things a little easier than building a separate supply, but you still have to work with line voltages there.

May 28, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #19 of 22
MisterX -

want to add a Mouser BOM for the CK2III?
tongue.gif

Thanks for the M3 BOM - I'm considering building one for my desktop speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back