Best disco song ?
May 13, 2008 at 9:04 AM Post #46 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have a problem truly liking any song thats not really made for listening

"Free your mind and your ass will follow" !
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2008 at 9:21 AM Post #47 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by zumaro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometimes music isn't made for listening, sometimes it is made for dancing and enjoying it in ways that aren't cerebral.

Where is Team Dances With Headphones when you need them? Or team Does-certain-other-non-cerebral-things-with-headphones-on ...

May 13, 2008 at 9:23 AM Post #48 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by zumaro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometimes music isn't made for listening, sometimes it is made for dancing and enjoying it in ways that aren't cerebral.

Well put. That reminds me of Brian Eno's explanation of his concept of ambient music. He said that he wanted to create music that could be listened to closely, or simply as a background or accompaniment to a physical setting or environment.

I agree that music can be legitimately experienced in a range of ways.

May 13, 2008 at 10:04 AM Post #49 of 60
A lot of the music that we would define today as "cerebral" originated as essentially dance music : classical music, jazz (Duke Ellington comes to mind as a good example evolving from dance clubs to concert halls).... Then again, it is also hard to describe what "dance music" is, because you can dance to just about anything.

May 13, 2008 at 11:34 AM Post #50 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by blem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then again, it is also hard to describe what "dance music" is, because you can dance to just about anything.

Might look funny though.
I've just tried to imagine someone dancing to twelfe tone compositions ..........
This might qualify you for a job at the Ministry of Silly Walks though .........

May 13, 2008 at 12:12 PM Post #51 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Might look funny though.
I've just tried to imagine someone dancing to twelfe tone compositions ..........

Heh, be careful what you wish for. I'm sure there is some "interpretive dancer" who would be happy to oblige. You know, the kind of deadly serious academic artist who walks onto an empty stage in a black leotard, says something like "A dance for subatomic particles," and then proceeds to flop around on the floor for half an hour.

May 13, 2008 at 12:23 PM Post #52 of 60
oh, and we cant have a disco thread without mentioning
Alec R Costandinos; the king of orchestral disco!
to bad he is all but forgotten thanks to none of his albums being reissued on cd... except russian bootlegs.

May 13, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #53 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjarnetv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe a bit of topic, but still about disco
wink.gif

Yes sir. Thanks a-lot! It is much appreciated.

Interesting that you mentioned the modern acts that ring more house to me than disco (as you know, house evolved from disco), so I read up on Black Devil/Black Devil Disco Club last night. According to Allmusic, the duo's style is categorized as post-disco, a stop-gap between disco and house. I found that interesting.

May 13, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #54 of 60
i find categorizing music in general is pretty difficult, and especially with all the half disco, half electronica/house 70s/80s bands like black devil, methusalem and moroder.

May 14, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #55 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes sir. Thanks a-lot! It is much appreciated.

Interesting that you mentioned the modern acts that ring more house to me than disco (as you know, house evolved from disco), so I read up on Black Devil/Black Devil Disco Club last night. According to Allmusic, the duo's style is categorized as post-disco, a stop-gap between disco and house. I found that interesting.

I would like to declare a moratorium on the use of the prefix "post-" I find that in most cases, terms like post-rock, post-punk, and (new one on me) post-disco are absolutely useless. Basically, critics have created a cottage industry for themselves by inventing these meaningless terms. All the better for hanging out at the dorm party and sagely instructing a cute young thing on the wide world of post-merengue-reggae-bossanova. Of course pmrbn is soooo five minutes ago. Just wait till my next blog bost, baby...

May 14, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #56 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjarnetv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i find categorizing music in general is pretty difficult.

You're not alone! It is a fun mental exercise no? Wikipedia defines post-disco as: The term post-disco is a referral to the late 1970s and early 1980s movement of disco music into more electronic influenced sounds.

I disdain yet cast wonder upon the fractured labels within and of electronic dance music since the eighties. Time does have a way of broadening scope though. I imagine eventually it will all be pop or something.

--

I was thinking of my favorite post-2000
biggrin.gif
disco song and came up with:

Miura by Metro Area

May 14, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #57 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would like to declare a moratorium on the use of the prefix "post-" I find that in most cases, terms like post-rock, post-punk, and (new one on me) post-disco are absolutely useless.

My favourite is post-senile ... I think I may have seen some of them ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back