Best disco song ?
May 12, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #32 of 60
Earth Wind & Fire, like Kool and the Gang were first a good jazz/funk band and later became more mainstream. In fact, the specificity of disco is that it was able to blend many influences, and was really a "crossover" music.

May 12, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #33 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome thread, Disco is big again...

What?! The Disco Era was an embarrassment to man-kind and absolute proof that..uh.."lighter complexioned" people can't dance. You've triggered my D-PTSD--acid flashbacks of big-hair, platforms, Angelflights AAARRRGGGHHH!!!

May 12, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #34 of 60
May 12, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #35 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjarnetv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anything produced by giorgio moroder really; blondie, donna summer, suzie lane, three degrees, france joly, madleen kane, etc

That is a deep vein right there. Hey, you mentioned Black Devil in another thread. What is some more stuff like that since you seem to be in the know? That stuff is fantastic.

May 12, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #36 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is a deep vein right there. Hey, you mentioned Black Devil in another thread. What is some more stuff like that since you seem to be in the know? That stuff is fantastic.

when it comes to the new black devil disco stuff, theres really not a lot of similar music beeing made today, digitalism, simian mobile disco and justice come close, but not as disco inspired.
you should check out CBS.nu (v5.2) , a great radio/forum/mixtape database for cosmic electro, nu-disco and italo

as for the old black devil disco stuff, late 70s and 80s electronica like giorgio moroders from here to eternity, syntechs by trial and error or star peace by droids... and possibly also fockewulf 190 and B.W.H

the i-robot album is a nice introductory compilation to italodisco
Various Artists - I-Robots : Italo Electro Disco Underground Classics - Irma - Flexx Records

maybe a bit of topic, but still about disco
wink.gif

May 12, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #38 of 60
May 13, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #39 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by blem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Earth Wind & Fire, like Kool and the Gang were first a good jazz/funk band and later became more mainstream. In fact, the specificity of disco is that it was able to blend many influences, and was really a "crossover" music.

Absolutely. Hollywood Swingin' is funk, not disco. Kool and the Gang made a sharp swerve to the middle of the road when they added JT, the singer who crooned most of their pleasant pop material. I have no objection to their poppier stuff -- these are great musicians who can find a groove in just about any tune -- but I prefer the earlier, more instumental-oriented funk.

I actually like JT's voice. But how much must it have sucked to be a not-quite-as-famous James Taylor in the mid-70s? I read somewhere that he adopted the initials in place of his full name in order to avoid confusion.

May 13, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #41 of 60
Here's from another web site asking the same question FYI:

2753 total votes
Compiled in 2004-2007

18% Bee Gees - Stayin' Alive
15% ABBA - Dancing Queen
12% Gloria Gaynor - I Will Survive
9% Village People - Y.M.C.A.
7% Lipps, Inc. - Funkytown
6% Bee Gees - Night Fever
5% KC & The Sunshine Band - That's The Way (I Like It)
4% Donna Summer - Hot Stuff
4% Barry White - You're My First, My Last, My Everything
3% Thelma Houston - Don't Leave Me This Way
3% Donna Summer - I Feel Love
3% Donna Summer - Last Dance
2% Yvonne Elliman - If I Can't Have You
2% Vicki Sue Robinson - Turn The Beat Around
2% Alicia Bridges - I Love The Nightlife
2% Sister Sledge - We Are Family
2% Heatwave - Boogie Nights
1% Diana Ross - Love Hangover
1% Sister Sledge - He's The Greatest Dancer
1% Gloria Gaynor - Never Can Say Goodbye

BTW, I go with Thelma.

May 13, 2008 at 8:40 AM Post #42 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by wavoman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's from another web site asking the same question FYI:

2753 total votes
Compiled in 2004-2007

18% Bee Gees - Stayin' Alive
15% ABBA - Dancing Queen
12% Gloria Gaynor - I Will Survive
9% Village People - Y.M.C.A.
7% Lipps, Inc. - Funkytown
6% Bee Gees - Night Fever
5% KC & The Sunshine Band - That's The Way (I Like It)

Hard to argue with many of those - I am almost about to hang up the mirror ball just reading the list!

However if I am not allowed Parliament's Flashlight (and who is to argue with George Clinton himself) I am going with Le Freak (says Chic).... Or maybe September....

May 13, 2008 at 8:56 AM Post #44 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have a problem truly liking any song thats not really made for listening

Well, if we are talking about trash like the "Theme From S.W.A.T." or godawful novelties like "A Fifth of Beethoven" or "Disco Duck," I agree completely. As with any trend in commercial music, there was far more garbage then great stuff during the so-called disco era.

But I most definitely think Georgio Morodor's music was made for listening. "I Feel Love" was so far ahead of its time that it still sounds modern. Add many of the other tracks named in this thread, and you'll have a playlist well worth listening to, whether or not you make nostalgic associations to the period. I should point out that I feel no such nostalgia; I was a flat-out punk rocker during that time, and thought of disco as some sort of plague. As I grew older, my horizons broadened.

Not to stretch the point too far, but I also love country music. I can listen to Hank Sr., Bob Wills, Emmylou Harris, or George Jones all day. Put on manufactured pop-country like Shania Twain or Garth Brooks and I will cover my ears and run out of the room.

May 13, 2008 at 9:03 AM Post #45 of 60
Sometimes music isn't made for listening, sometimes it is made for dancing and enjoying it in ways that aren't cerebral. And that doesn't take into account the sheer inventiveness and musicianship shown by groups such as Earth Wind and Fire or Chic.

The big list may not have as much intellectual content as some, but then its just great for a party...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back