Best desktop nearfield speakers for around $750
Oct 18, 2009 at 5:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Omega17TheTrue

500+ Head-Fier
As the title says, i seek very good nearfield speakers for my computer.

I need to replace my gigawork S750 wich is a 7.1 but i only use its 2 front speakers since long times, because its take too much room for just a better ambiance. (i was using boxes to put the side speakers really inconvenient and feels like you are in a combat jet cockpit)

So the question is, of course, which ones ? There is alot of choices.

My listening will be made very close, around 70cm to around 1 meter (but i can listen farther strictly for music or movies), i currently living in a apartment and the walls -like most recent ones- have bad acoustics, (when you hit the wall its resonate empty) its made of plaster and paper. So the bass resonate with the wall and thus amplifying the sound.

Requirement :

So im thinking bass reflex type speakers should be better because the speakers will be very close to the wall and the port need to be front.

The speakers also needed to be magnetically shielded.

My source will be the compass DAC but i will upgrading later for a NOS one maybe.

The sound :

I'm looking for a sweet,warm and non fatiguing sound, very easy on ears, with the treble really soft this is important because i have sensible hearing so not too bright sounding.

I'm also searching for a wonderful midrange, where the voices are a little forward and really appealing, with also a really good imaging.

I do not want to use a sub system so i need also a decent bass capability although a sub is obviously unbeatable in this area.

Goes well with all musics genres, i will be also using them for games and movies so a too revealing speakers will reveal the bad recordings which i do not want.

Mind that i listen at -relatively- low volume mainly (i care for my hearing) so i believe a high sensibility speakers will be best.

I do not want a harsh,bright,cold,fatiguing at all so i believe studio monitors are not for me but maybe some are really pleasing and warm, who knows.

Active or passive ?

I'm thinking of using the miniwatt integrated amp with some passive speakers but i also own the CA azur 340a amp but i believe it will be easily too powerful for the application and also too big and inconvenient plus a want a warm sound so tube amp should be better and they are also more easily upgradable.

I do not like the idea of having amp inside the speakers because of the heat,acoustic problem,concessions that must be made and also you cant easily upgrade or change the amp.

So what do you recommend me ? I'm thinking of :

hifi :

KeF IQ10 (smaller version of iq30) -my favorite choice
Audio engine A5 -rear vent ...
Paradigm mini monitor -seem good but unshielded
Jamo C803 - rear port
Quad 12L
Focal CMS50

pro : abandoned, i prefer hifi nearfield
Prodipe pro ribbon 8- seem to have reliability issue...
TANNOY REVOLUTION DC4 -?
ADAM A5-A7 -but they seem too bright and unforgivable
Dynaudio MC15
Yamahas: HS50M, HS80M and MSP5 and MSP7
KRKs and such...

I consider buying used too for better bang for the bucks.

But there is many other options... but i'm coming from cheap speakers (although there are made by cambridge audio) so i shouldn't have something worse. (but in the bass maybe)

thank you in advance.
wink.gif

Oct 18, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #3 of 22
Oct 21, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #6 of 22
Thank for the input i will try to audition some speakers from local boutique (if i can).
wink.gif

There is also the option to change my saloon setup and use my hifi setup as a computer audio setup also, *sigh* so many choices.

I'm looking forward for the ALO miniwatt/speakers setup that is on the works.

Oct 21, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #7 of 22
I've only heard the Quad passive version (I own almost the whole lineup of L2's) but I LOVE them and I think they are seriously overlooked in the HiFi world. I've heard nothing but great things about the active versions but haven't heard them myself.

Oct 21, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #8 of 22
Do not discount the KRK's - you should definitely give them an audition

their budget "rockit" series are poor, sounding rather tinny. do not let this detract you from the VXT's, which are stunning speakers. they do amazing things with the stereo image, and are very forgiving of placement

Oct 27, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #9 of 22
If you're looking for pleasing and warm, basically any studio monitors aren't what you're looking for. I used Yamaha HS80M's for about 2 years, and then Mackie HR 824 mkII's.
They're very revealing, and you really can't listen to them quietly. Nearfield in the recording arts world isn't as nearfield as you imagine. 6-10 feet off the wall or so, etc.

Oct 27, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by HypnoLobster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're looking for pleasing and warm, basically any studio monitors aren't what you're looking for. I used Yamaha HS80M's for about 2 years, and then Mackie HR 824 mkII's.
They're very revealing, and you really can't listen to them quietly. Nearfield in the recording arts world isn't as nearfield as you imagine. 6-10 feet off the wall or so, etc.

Yes i'm thinking the same thing but in the other hand studio monitor are meant to listened very close unlike most hi-fi speakers and also the active monitor have built-in amp especially made for them.

Also i look for bass-reflex and magnetically shielded speakers only.

I will see at the local high-end if they have small nearfield speakers at "only" 750$.

Oct 27, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lenni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely give the Paradigm’s a listen before anything, not easy to find a dealer though Paradigm International
let us know your choice & impressions

Yes the paradigm mini-monitor is one of my favorite but he's not shielded and i have a crt monitor ... and he also have rear port... but if he was bass-reflex and shielded i think i take it.

But my local dealer is a paradigm distributor i already check this a litle time ago. So i will see, anyway i cant buy a speakers without listening it and they are way more easy to find than high-end headphones.
beerchug.gif

But their is also the option of using the mini monitor or even the titan monitor for the hi-fi setup and using cheaper and smaller pc speakers like a JohnBlue JB3 speaker.

Oct 28, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #13 of 22
I decided to look for vintage Spendor bookshelves, though I gave up after a couple of months and convinced myself to just settle with my Audioengine 2s for the time being. I doubt any of these vintage speakers are magnetically shielded. Though I don't know much of the history, I do know of many people who've had unshielded speakers next to CRTs and haven't had any problems, but I wouldn't risk it myself so I can't recommend that you do.

I find myself pretty much in exact agreement with your sound preferences. If I were to get another set of speakers right now, I would go for a pair of av123 ELT525m's (shielded IIRC) and a gizmo t-amp (though any old mid-fi integrated amp might do the trick), and I've seen some recommend getting foam plugs for the ports and also placing them upside down so the woofer is on top of the tweeter.

For a dac I would try to get a used MDHT Paradisea or get a gamma-2 dac from MisterX, as I am not into DIY and he's a nice guy
smily_headphones1.gif
. I was also interested in getting the Peachtree Decco or Nova, until I realized I couldn't afford it.

I will just say that the Quad 12L's up on audiogon are very tempting, even for a poor and cheap person like me.

I've read some disheartening things on the other speakers you listed in your opening post besides the A5 and Quad 12Ls from our fellow brothers that like to make life easier for our ears. If you're like me, you'll get a pair of Audioengines, EQ them, and call it a day. However, if you don't mind, get the Quad 12L's so I can live vicariously through you
wink.gif
. Or if you decide to put your CRT's degaussing to the test, get a pair of Spendors or other BBC speakers.

Well, hopefully this helps somewhat, although it is all quite meaningless until you get to listen to the speakers for yourself. For every supposedly smooth and non-fatiguing speaker I've come across, there's always someone out there calling them too bright, too harsh, and too fatiguing, but I have to wonder about how room acoustics or a bad source is affecting their judgement. I haven't seen anyone complain about the Quads or the Audioengines in this way, though I myself thought my A2s were too fatiguing, until I EQed them. Now they are more tolerable, but I wonder if my starting yoga has anything to do with it.
redface.gif

If this post is too poorly written, my apologies, it is way too late at night for me to think clearly and I can't be bothered to proof-read this as my pillow is much too alluring right now.

Oct 28, 2009 at 12:00 PM Post #15 of 22
I'm running Paradigm Titans from a Parasound Zamp and the result is pretty good. I would love to have the Mini Monitors instead. The other speakers I considered were the rare Micropure single-driver models, which are quite small, but I kept missing them when they showed up on Yahoo Auctions. Their other models are too far over my speaker budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back