Best Dedicated Audio Players under $100?
Dec 3, 2014 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Kitters

New Head-Fier
If this isn't the right place for this thread, please let me know.

I'm kinda sorta interested in looking at my options for a DAP. I would like to use my new Onkyo headphones while out and about more often but would like to save the battery on my phone. I really don't know much about DAPs and it doesn't need to be anything fancy. I just want decent sound quality, portability, an SD card slot, options to sync to my computer, a non-frustrating user interface, and Wifi capability would be really nice too. Less than $100 would be preferable. Anyone have any recommendations? :D

Dec 5, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #3 of 21
Cowon D3 I believe meets those requirement.

Wow, this sounds awesome! And I do love Android. Problem is, I can't really find a place to buy this. :frowning2: Is there an updated model, by chance that I could find more readily available? I would be willing to spend more if needed.

Dec 6, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #5 of 21
try their. website. i think they also sell through amazon and ebay

Thanks, I took a look at their website, and the only other player with Wifi from what I could tell was the more expensive Z2. I found one second-hand on eBay that seems to be in good condition with bidding at $61. I'm tempted to bid on it. :D

Dec 6, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #6 of 21
Teclast X30SE, Xduoo X1(no card slot), Cube C30, Cube C60, Colorfly C3 or used iPod 5.5 (hdd, also U can modify it on a higher capacity), old Irivers and new Irivers (slot).

Dec 6, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #7 of 21
I would get a fiiO X1.

Dec 6, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #8 of 21
  Teclast X30SE, Xduoo X1(no card slot), Cube C30, Cube C60, Colorfly C3 or used iPod 5.5 (hdd, also U can modify it on a higher capacity), old Irivers and new Irivers (slot).

Thank you for the list! Do you know if any of these have Wifi capability? I'm not too keen on the iPod though.

Dec 6, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #11 of 21
  Info about Fiio X1 can be found at their website. I don't think it has wifi, not may Dedicated Audio Players do.

My god, it's beautiful. Thank you for the website. I mainly use Google Play Music on my phone and it's super convenient and I would like to avoid manually loading music if possible, but this Fiio X1 is really making me consider it. 

Dec 6, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #12 of 21

My god, it's beautiful. Thank you for the website. I mainly use Google Play Music on my phone and it's super convenient and I would like to avoid manually loading music if possible, but this Fiio X1 is really making me consider it. 

Sounds like you would be benefiting most with a good smart phone instead, like HTC One m8 or Xperia Z3 if you intend to stream music off google play (I think they stream at 320kbps), it wouldn't quite make sense to put all that money into DAC whose strengths lies in Lossless file playback - not that I notice much difference between Lossless and Lossy. That's entirely up to you.

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #13 of 21
From what you said your aim is to save phone battery and streaming music from Google Play, I suppose you can look into the Fiio Kunlun E-18 if you're not looking into replacing your phone. The price is slightly over $150 but it can act as a Power Bank for your phone as well.

Otherwise, Fiio X1 seems like a good start and you can probably load plenty of your favourite tracks onto your device and get off streaming altogether. Unless you have unlimited data plan already, it should save you quite a bit over time.

Edit: A thought just came to me and I dug around the forum a little bit, Fiio E18 might have some issues working with certain phones if you stream music off google play (nature of it being streamed rather than a digital format in the library). You might want to ask around or research a bit more yourself if you're still interested.

Dec 7, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #14 of 21
  Sounds like you would be benefiting most with a good smart phone instead, like HTC One m8 or Xperia Z3 if you intend to stream music off google play (I think they stream at 320kbps), it wouldn't quite make sense to put all that money into DAC whose strengths lies in Lossless file playback - not that I notice much difference between Lossless and Lossy. That's entirely up to you.

From what you said your aim is to save phone battery and streaming music from Google Play, I suppose you can look into the Fiio Kunlun E-18 if you're not looking into replacing your phone. The price is slightly over $150 but it can act as a Power Bank for your phone as well.

Otherwise, Fiio X1 seems like a good start and you can probably load plenty of your favourite tracks onto your device and get off streaming altogether. Unless you have unlimited data plan already, it should save you quite a bit over time.

Edit: A thought just came to me and I dug around the forum a little bit, Fiio E18 might have some issues working with certain phones if you stream music off google play (nature of it being streamed rather than a digital format in the library). You might want to ask around or research a bit more yourself if you're still interested.

What you're saying makes sense because I already have a Galaxy S5. And I have told myself it seems really illogical anyway. Though, the only reason I'm considering a separate DAP is because I work a job where I sit at a computer all day on web chat and we are allowed to listen to music while we work. However, the place is completely up your ass about it "NOT being a smartphone because it has a camera that could take pictures of sensitive customer information and post it around the internet!!!!11111" I have been using my phone on the down low but I wanted to explore an iPod-esque option so I could save myself the stress, lol. I hope that makes things a bit less weird. 

I do appreciate your recommendations. I will definitely look into the Fiio E-18, and deliberate on the Fiio X1 and Cowon Z2 more. I have liked these three recommendations the best. 

Dec 7, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #15 of 21

What you're saying makes sense because I already have a Galaxy S5. And I have told myself it seems really illogical anyway. Though, the only reason I'm considering a separate DAP is because I work a job where I sit at a computer all day on web chat and we are allowed to listen to music while we work. However, the place is completely up your ass about it "NOT being a smartphone because it has a camera that could take pictures of sensitive customer information and post it around the internet!!!!11111" I have been using my phone on the down low but I wanted to explore an iPod-esque option so I could save myself the stress, lol. I hope that makes things a bit less weird. 

I do appreciate your recommendations. I will definitely look into the Fiio E-18, and deliberate on the Fiio X1 and Cowon Z2 more. I have liked these three recommendations the best. 

I'm guessing you're not allowed to load music onto the workstation? Then yeah Cowon Z2 might be the best option if you don't want to get into trouble.

Otherwise, Fiio E-18 would be a good option as it can work both as a USB DAC on PC or as a standalone amp. Just plug it onto your workstation and play away and outside of office it doubles as a power bank or amp for your Galaxy S5. Win-win-win if you ask me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back