Best Decade for Music
Mar 10, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #91 of 118
Charles Mingus The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady, the very best of John Coltrane, the entirety of Miles Davis second great(est) quintet, Jimi Hendrix, the best of Dylan, The Beatles, James Brown at his peak, Syd Barrets Pink Floyd, Janis, Let it Bleed, The early Who, Otis Blue, Bitches Brew.

60's imo

Mar 10, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #92 of 118
Easily chopin's era no?

Schumann, Liszt, Chopin, Schubert, Brahms etc all the greats were around back then

Mar 10, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #93 of 118
90's, all my favourite bands are in the 90's.

Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains.

Some others that are also great: Smashing Pumpkins, Chemical Brothers, NIN, Soundgarden, Jane's Addiction, I can continue but I'm lazy.

Mar 11, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #96 of 118
Schubbie died in 1828, the others were teenagers then, Brahms was born 5 years later
wink.gif

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #97 of 118
Quote:
For me, the best decade was when my grandfather was in his twenties... the 1930s. That's when Jazz was born, the Blues were real, not just middle class white guys imitating the Blues, and classical music was at its zenith. Also, live musical performance was everywhere... in movie theaters, in the nightclubs, in the streets... The more you know about the history of popular music in America, the more you realize we jumped the shark before the Beatles ever set foot on US soil.

I think the 1930s might be the best decade as well.

In that decade a great deal happens in classical music that is of interest to me. I have a love of the impressionists and Debussy and Ravel in France were producing some of their best work.

I think that in 1913 Stravinsky's Right of Spring created a huge change in musical culture and by the 30s this change was resonating throughout the world, in all the genres of classical and in other music forms.

I agree with you that in the US you redefined popular music in the 1930s more than in any other decade and those new forms of popular music subsequently took the world by storm.

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #98 of 118
The decade of  the 1730's is the best.

The Baroque style is reaching its apogee with J. S. Bach and G. F. Handel at their peak and the first signs of an emerging new trend are manifesting themselves on the opera stages of Italy which would in a few years mature into the Classical style of Haydn and Mozart.

Mar 16, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #99 of 118
I agree with the rite of spring era... Stravinsky and the birth of modernism along with the jazz movement in the usa. On top of this the french were on top form ravel and debussy etc

ravels la valse. One of the greatest works of all time?

Mar 22, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #101 of 118
Quote:
I agree with the rite of spring era... Stravinsky and the birth of modernism along with the jazz movement in the usa. On top of this the french were on top form ravel and debussy etc

I certainly love La Valse and many other Ravel pieces.

I think Ravel is not given as much credit as he is due.

Mar 22, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #102 of 118
Quote:

Birth of modernism started with Gustav Mahler..who was greater then Debussy and Ravel together..

wink.gif

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #103 of 118
Quote:
Birth of modernism started with Gustav Mahler..who was greater then Debussy and Ravel together..

wink.gif

How did I ever forget Gustav??? Um but no. Mahler was a late-romantic. Far from modernist tendencies although his compositions did have some revolutionary repercussions down the generations.

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #104 of 118
I disagree, Mahler's Ninth Symphony which had enormous impact on Alban Berg and Arnold Schoenberg, was most definitely not late-romantic ..

Maybe we can agree Mahler was a transitional figure ( he was very aware of his place in musical history) since he stood between late romanticism and moderism ( Brahm-Schoenberg)..

Mar 23, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #105 of 118
Transitional agreed! Shame I dislike Berg, Schoeberg and Webern the Serialist lot...

What's your favourite symphony or nies by Mahler?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back