Best Decade for Music
Mar 23, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #106 of 118
Although Mahler was truly a very great composer I never listen to him any more.

In my twenties and thirties I listened to Mahler a lot, I can still conjure up quite large sections of the Resurrection Symphony in my imagination for example. However I don't listen Mahler these days.

I've sort of had my fill of the late romantic composers.

I listen now to all that came after the late romantic period (20 century) and all that came before it.

I like smaller orchestras and chamber music and in particular I avoid music which has the vast emotional and psychological ambitions of the late romantic composers.

Mar 24, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #107 of 118
Quote:
Transitional agreed! Shame I dislike Berg, Schoeberg and Webern the Serialist lot...

What's your favourite symphony or nies by Mahler?

I like the 9th a lot, other favorites are 1st, 3rd and 8th..and Das Lied, Lieder eines Fahrenden Gesellen (both with Fischer-Dieskau!)

I like the other ones as well, what can I say, I'm a fan
biggrin.gif
  currently fighting my way through the Henry Louis de la Grange books, I'm in part 3 now pfff haha

Mar 24, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #108 of 118
the 3rd 6th movement Langsam... Shiver shiver
5th adagietto tears
8th finale serious goosebumps lol

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #109 of 118
I definitely prefer my "classical" baroque or Impressionistic, but my favorite composer of all time is definitely, definitely Gershwin. If we're discussing popular music from 1900 - present I would definitely have to go with the 1960's. It was just a culturally interesting decade, there was a lot of excitement, energy and experimentation about the music, a lot of talent and of course Pet Sounds. The 1950's would have to come second. The 80's third - post punk and heavy progression using electronic instruments. Current decade fourth, There is a lot of interesting work going on now in the underground scene thanks to the internet and corporate ties losing control, truly creative inspiring stuff. The 1970's fifth, some great performers and personalities. Of course there is great music in all decades and genres, but my least favorite is definitely the 90's - because it is the most homogeneous. There was Loveless, the Elephant 6 logo, Radiohead, the explosion of Rap & Hip Hop - but everything else was pretty terrible and uninteresting and the radio was so tightly controlled, access to the good stuff was extremely limited. This is just my opinion I hope nobody takes offense. After all, the most important thing is that you enjoy the music that you listen to. Cheers!    

Mar 27, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #110 of 118
Funny that I came across this thread, because this afternoon I was saying to myself that a lot of the music today is not for me at all!!!
I feel the best decades for music were; (in no particular order) the 60's, 70's, 90's and 2K.

Mar 27, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #111 of 118
Quote:
Funny that I came across this thread, because this afternoon I was saying to myself that a lot of the music today is not for me at all!!!
I feel the best decades for music were; (in no particular order) the 60's, 70's, 90's and 2K.

Nice to see you narrow it down to 4 decades. (???)

Nov 17, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #115 of 118
I love music from the 60's to present day, but the period that I like most is the 80's. The 80's get a bad rap because of some of the corny one-hit-wonders, but there were so many things going on during the decade.

Some of the 60's and 70's classic bands were still putting out some good stuff: Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, Genesis, Rush, David Bowie, Aerosmith, Springsteen, Roxy Music, Black Sabbath, etc.

Post Punk: Talking Heads, U2, R.E.M., Siouxsie and The Banshees, Talking Heads, The Cure, Echo and The Bunnymen, Etc

Metal:  Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Guns 'N Roses, Metallica, Def Leppard, Van Halen, Etc.

New wave: The Police, Duran Duran, Psychedelic Furs, Elvis Costello, Depeche Mode, The Cars, Etc

Industrial was starting up: Nine Inch Nails, Ministry, Etc

Many other great bands like The Smiths, The Replacements, The Church, Tom Petty, Sonic Youth, Jesus and Mary Chain, Jane's Addiction, The Cult, My Blood Valentine, Etc.

Nov 17, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #116 of 118
1959 is probably the best year in the history of recorded music, but although a lot of incredible jazz was recorded in the '50s, I think I'll still have to pick the '60s because simply so many great albums were recorded back then. As a side note, of the decades between the 1950s and today, my least favorite decade would have to be the '80s.

Nov 18, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #117 of 118
I love music from the 60's to present day, but the period that I like most is the 80's. The 80's get a bad rap because of some of the corny one-hit-wonders, but there were so many things going on during the decade.

Some of the 60's and 70's classic bands were still putting out some good stuff: Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, Genesis, Rush, David Bowie, Aerosmith, Springsteen, Roxy Music, Black Sabbath, etc.

Post Punk: Talking Heads, U2, R.E.M., Siouxsie and The Banshees, Talking Heads, The Cure, Echo and The Bunnymen, Etc

Metal:  Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Guns 'N Roses, Metallica, Def Leppard, Van Halen, Etc.

New wave: The Police, Duran Duran, Psychedelic Furs, Elvis Costello, Depeche Mode, The Cars, Etc

Industrial was starting up: Nine Inch Nails, Ministry, Etc

Many other great bands like The Smiths, The Replacements, The Church, Tom Petty, Sonic Youth, Jesus and Mary Chain, Jane's Addiction, The Cult, My Blood Valentine, Etc.

I agree, while not my personal "the best" decade for music, it had more than it's fair share of fantastic music and deserves better than the replies in this thread suggest.

Nov 23, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #118 of 118
70s for sure!   2 Reasons...

1)  Bands in their prime:    Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Nugent, Pink Floyd, Allman Brothers, Springsteen, Jethro Tull, Supertramp, Steely Dan,  Journey, Styx, Genesis, The Who, Rush, REO Speedwagon, Yes, ELP, ELO, Elton John, Billy Joel......just to name a few.    SERIOUSLY?  How can you argue with that selection????

2)  FM Radio was "real" and would allow DJ's to go deep into album cuts to expose a much more diverse display of music.  This was huge.  This all changed in the 80's and bands started being TOLD the type of music they had to be playing to get paid.  This in itself is the strongest reason to say the 1970's were the best. The highest level of creativity was allowed to be heard, not stifled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back