Best Decade for Music
Mar 2, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #76 of 118
For me, the best decade was when my grandfather was in his twenties... the 1930s. That's when Jazz was born, the Blues were real, not just middle class white guys imitating the Blues, and classical music was at its zenith. Also, live musical performance was everywhere... in movie theaters, in the nightclubs, in the streets... The more you know about the history of popular music in America, the more you realize we jumped the shark before the Beatles ever set foot on US soil.

Mar 3, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #78 of 118
I choose the 80s, back when music was original and never gets boring like alot of today`s pop music.

size]

Mar 3, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #79 of 118
Quote:

The truth is every decade had some good and some bad music.

I remember listening to this track on my first decent home audio setup back in College during the 90's...in a dorm room the size of my washroom today haha.  Ahhh memories.  I'll never forget getting fined one time when I was playing it just a little loud...but man did those Paradigms make me feel the music 
size]

Peace n good tunes,
TBB

Mar 3, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #81 of 118
Quote:

The truth is every decade had some good and some bad music.

I remember listening to this track on my first decent home audio setup back in College during the 90's...in a dorm room the size of my washroom today haha.  Ahhh memories.  I'll never forget getting fined one time when I was playing it just a little loud...but man did those Paradigms make me feel the music 
size]

Peace n good tunes,
TBB

Of course every era has great music, but I think the 90s had so much quality through so many genres which made it amazing.

Mar 3, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #82 of 118
Well, again..except for what "Bigshot" just posted it's almost impossible to answer this without some heavy bias towards your age and when you were growing up.

A few pages back I posted: 

It would be the 70's for me.  So diverse.....Genesis, The Who, Stones, Rush, Zepplin, ELP, Yes, Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, Sabbath, Police, Kansas, Elton John, Billy Joel, Neil Young, Springsteen, Chicago, Styx, Journey, Van Halen, ELO to name a few....all at their peak and prime with radio playing cuts very deep into all the albums.

And I still stand by that since back then, artists were never pigeon-holed into what they played.  Record companies had very little control over what bands could create.  As a result, the creativity was boundless. So different today.  The record companies tell the bands what to create.  It's insane!!!

Mar 5, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #85 of 118
Quote:
Electronic music would be the 90's for me when it was at its peak and rock...well sure I know plenty would say the 60's for the Beatles output, or the 70's for the true pioneers of the current trends in rock, but I could easily argue for the 90's, my "growing years" when grunge hit and bands like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Screaming Trees, Soundgarden, Neutral Milk Hotel and Radiohead were doing very interesting things that demolished the 15-20 years before them.

Kurt Kobain: "I was just trying to ripoff the Pixies".

Most of the music you named was actually not at all innovative let alone demolishingly so; they stayed waaaay within the parameters that had been set before 1970 by Velvet Underground et al. This was an "Elvis" period when watered down versions of earlier more innovative music (besides the Velvets and The Pixies you can also cite, Dylan, Can and the Violent Femmes) entered the mainstream. Grunge especially is almost defined by its conservatism - no one ever did anything that would surprise anyone who had listened to the first Pixies EP. And the Pixies themselves were pretty much "What if the Velvets had really got off on surf rock guitar."

Which is not to say that you should like the music you name less, just have an idea that, no, it didn't arrive perfectly formed, without any precedents, out of Kurt Kobain's head anymore than The Monkees' "Daydreamer Believer" was without precedent.

So I'll take from about '64 to 74. In this period you have

Dylan's Subteranean Homesick Blues, Highway 61, Blonde On Blonde and The Basement Tapes
The Band's best Dylan-less work, fuzing the blues with country and Apalachian influences and equalling anything from Chicago or the Delta
The Velvet Underground's entire original career
Bitches' Brew
Neil Young's Tonight's The Night
The Stooges self-titled album, Funhouse and Raw Power
Trout Mask Replica
Nico's Marble Index
Can's Tago Mago
Love's Forever Free
Lee Scratch Perry's The Upsetter
The Wailer's first six albums

..This is an extradordinary burst of creativity that artists are still mining today - entire later genres existed inside the limits set by individual albums here. The Days Before Kobain were not entirely about The Rolling Stones, The Eagles and Led Zep, despite what your parents might have told you.

Mar 5, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #87 of 118
Quote:

Kurt Kobain: "I was just trying to ripoff the Pixies".

Most of the music you named was actually not at all innovative let alone demolishingly so; they stayed waaaay within the parameters that had been set before 1970 by Velvet Underground et al. This was an "Elvis" period when watered down versions of earlier more innovative music (besides the Velvets and The Pixies you can also cite Can and the Violent Femmes) entered the mainstream. Grunge especially is almost defined by its conservatism - no one ever did anything that would surprise anyone who had listened to the first Pixies EP. And the Pixies themselves were pretty much "What if the Velvets had really got of on surf rock guitar."

:D

For me the 40s 50s 60s and a few of the 80s....The 90s were the worst ten years for music, IMO.

Mar 9, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #90 of 118
Definitely the 70's. I was raised as a child in the 90's and as a teen in the 2000's, oh how have music changed today. I'd say the 90's is a second on the list due to the trance music that came out those years blew away today's trance. 60's and 80's tied for 3rd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back