Best Decade for Music
Jul 17, 2009 at 12:52 PM Post #16 of 118
Well it depends,

Italio disco was only alive for the 80s, so it'd have to be the 80s for it.

Eurobeat, which is basically derived from italio disco, had two really distinct sounds between the 90s and 00s, if I had to choose one I'd say the 90s simply because that's what I listen to more of nowdays...but I'd still listen to both.

Happy Hardcore also has two distinct sounds, old school is good but I really prefer the newer stuff that was made from about '01 and on, so it'd be the 00s for it.

And that's about all of the genres I have a good understanding of (Really small ones at that). Every different style of music usually has a particular sound for each decade or so, so it just comes down to what kind of style you prefer. I'd be hard pressed to pick a single decade for all types of music, but most things that came out in the 80s were synth heavy (even the rock!
smile.gif
) so I'd probably end up on that. I'm much more comfortable with saying that I like music made in the last 50 years or so though.
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:

Edit: Come think of it, maybe the 00's isn't that bad; besides the 90's (the ultimate low point of music) the 80's with their craptastic syn-fruitcake was quite bad a decade too. Still the best decades are definetely the 70's and 60's.

7/10, I raged pretty hard.

Jul 17, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #18 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nonsense, this decade is undisputed second worst decade for music ever in the 20th/21st century, with the 90's being the worse.

Do you know what the word "undisputed" means?

I vote 00's. 90's in second place.

Jul 17, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #20 of 118
I'd say the late 80s, 90s.... 1780s-late 1790s that is

Jul 17, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #21 of 118
As far as rock goes I still lean towards the 90's. The 80's blew except for some heavy metal (not hair metal, **** that) and a single here and there. Once the 90's hit and hair metal died out and grunge and other alternative rock/metal sounds caught on we were left with an excellent time to enjoy the heavier Rock genre's.

Rap I didn't really get into much until the 00's so I look at the late 90's and early 00's as my preferred time frame. Didn't really care for the early 90's rap too much and haven't listened to the current offerings too much lately.

Don't really care for classical. Dance music (be it disco, techno, pop, etc) can't really be held to 10 years I don't really think. Great songs came out of each decade, but no one decade stands out.

Jul 17, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #22 of 118
Most will choose the decade from their formative years (Sometime between 10 yo and 25 yo, starting whenever you discovered music)

I was born in 61. New Years eve 1966 was the first time that I tried to stay up all night to listen to the Top 100, and New Years eve 68 was the first time that I succeeded in staying awake for the entire Top 100 So I suppose that I would personally choose 68 - 78

This period has IMO the best from bands like: King Crimson, Beatles, Guess Who, Jethro Tull, Bee Gees (Before disco <74), Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Kinks, Doors and many more.

Now another interesting question would be what's the best 100 year period for Classical music. IMO it's 1860 - 1960

Jul 17, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #23 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now another interesting question would be what's the best 100 year period for Classical music. IMO it's 1860 - 1960

I have a good feeling about 2030-2130.

Jul 17, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #24 of 118
This thread has really started me thinking, and the 00's really have been incredible. I can't believe that it is almost time to think about albums of the decade.

Jul 17, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #25 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread has really started me thinking, and the 00's really have been incredible. I can't believe that it is almost time to think about albums of the decade.

I read this post and thought that if you think the 00's have been incredible you'd have to be between 18 and 25.

Excluding the decade after I got into music 68-78 I'd say that the next best would be the 90's, then the 80's, and bringing up the rear (Very far to the rear) would be the 00's

Jul 17, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #26 of 118
You are correct, sir. That said, it is clearly more of a preference issue than anything else, because I would rank the 80s far behind anything else.

Jul 17, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #27 of 118
Couldnt chosse any one decade. I grew up in the 70's & 80's and they were both great decades for music. The 90's were s**t musicwise {IMO} but the last 8 years have been absolutely wonderful. 'No Time Like The Present'

Jul 17, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #28 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nonsense, this decade is undisputed second worst decade for music ever in the 20th/21st century, with the 90's being the worse.

Nonsense is using undisputed in the context of a subjective response.
eek.gif

Quote:

The quality has improved somewhat from the 90's, but today's music are generally still recycled from the old days.

Good luck convincing anyone with half a brain that music is not derivative in every single decade from the last 100 years (and really the last 350). All those precious bands from the 60's and 70's were merely lifting from the jiving folks of the 20's-50's.

Quote:

Some of the best albums ever have been released this decade for rock?

According to quite a few people not to mention about every top 100 list from the major polling magazines.

Quote:

For every good rock album you can name from the 00's I can name at least 5 good rock albums from the 70's.

Impossible for you to actually provide those responses without knowing the total number of records released during the 00's and knowing the total number of albums that you are familiar with from the 70's. As Sherwood correctly indicated, given the lower barrier to entry, there are likely far more bands releasing albums over the last 10 years than all other decades combined. Therefore, pedantic as this is, I could start listing thousands of bands and you would fall short pretty quick trying to multiply that number vy 5.

Quote:

But more importantly, this is definetely the worst decade ever production wise and almost every album released this decade is a brickwalled piece of poo.

Wow, generalize much? How about this, SOME albums suck sonically from this decade while others are recorded to the highest standard ever in the history of recorded music. We can pick and choose all night but in the end if for instance, Steve Hoffman is the bar to which all other mastering engineers should be graded against, he has released two modern rock albums that destroy pretty much any other rock recording originally released without his magical touch. Subjective though right? Yep, others might say that Grundman is better, or RVJ or yet someone else. The key though is underlying tech and Hoffman (and Grundman too) has the best tech available to them NOW now 30 years ago. So, almost every album? Maybe for hiphop and pop, but certainly not for rock, indie rock bands in particular, or jazz or classical, or soundtracks, or choral works etc. Seriously, start listening to more music if you honestly believe that nearly every release is brickwalled. I rarely buy an album that sounds crappy, perhaps I'm more discerning or simply more anal retentive when it comes to spending my money on music I can actually tolerate listening to.

Quote:

But in terms of sheer best decade ever for music it has to be in the 1820's, you have the bulk of Schubert's music plus the late Beethoven works.

Thankfully it doesn't have to be and quite frankly it simply isn't. It can't be because declaring a "best" is firmly subjective which usually makes threads like this fun to participate in until someone lame person comes out swinging with ridiculous statements that add nothing to the thread and personally target another member.

And for solid music, the 1820's were quite derivative, had Bach not existed Beethoven and Schubert wouldn't have been able to put pen to paper nor finger to key. There, a stupid objective statement that can't possibly be stated in such as way as to be taken seriously, ridiculous right? Yes, as is the bulk content of your post.

Quote:

Edit: Come think of it, maybe the 00's isn't that bad; besides the 90's (the ultimate low point of music) the 80's with their craptastic syn-fruitcake was quite bad a decade too. Still the best decades are definetely the 70's and 60's.

There is no worst nor is there a best, but there are certainly arguments for or against each. Glad to read that you actually try to qualify your dislike of the 80's but no where is there anything written why the 90's could possibly be the worst. I'd rather read about WHY you think it is the worst decade rather than some statement that they plainly were the worst years in modern music.

Jul 17, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #29 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"Albums of the Decade" for the 00s is going to be a mighty short list!

If pressed, I can probably think of as many as 20 great releases since 2000.

By comparison, I can think of hundreds each from the 70s and 80s, and in the thousands from the 60s!

Jul 17, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #30 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It floors me that anyone could laud a decade on the back of four albums by one band that I think is a yawn (not bad, mind you, just boring), but that actually says a lot about the current decade: A lot of ordinariness gets passed off as genius.

I didn't realize your opinion was the gold standard I must grade music by? Wow, how thoughtless of me!
confused_face(1).gif

To you they are boring, to others they are some of the freshest and most exhilarating albums of all time. I don't believe I used the word genius anywhere, and Radiohead is certainly not ordinary. They don't make music that anyone else does, it might not be your cup of tea, but ordinary they certainly are not.

Quote:

That said, I'm inclined to namecheck the '60s just for how much stretching was taking place in music across the board from pop to jazz to global to classical (though wmcmanus's bisected decade makes a lot of sense, and I also like '77-86). Just about everything you hear now is somehow rooted in the '60s, and the other thing that was clear about that time is that musicians from different genres were unabashed about learning things from each other. Creatively speaking, I think it translated into considerably more depth.

I'd argue that the 60's and 70's were very much derivative of the 40's through the 50's, not that that is a bad thing but nothing really original was being created that the rock n' rollers and blues folks hadn't already tested out, not to mention the blue grass and country folks. Basically, and volumes have been written on the subject, much of the music that is regarded as classic rock, the best of the best was culled from the grand efforts of blacks and southern whites doing their thing 20-30 years earlier without much credit to them.

Yikes notes an important point, plenty of people are going to target their formative years as the best of the best for them, because mostly, that music is what was getting them through tougher times. I grew up during the 80's and 90's and so there are plenty of tracks that I would name as tunes that I fall back to when I want to put my mood into a definitive space. Still, I recognize the grand albums my dad would spin for me as well: the Beatles, the Who, Queen, Rush, Jackson 5, Bee Gees, Pink Floyd etc. The Who are in my top 5 favourite bands, likely because my dad enjoyed them so much and I heard that music quite a bit between the ages of 0-10.

Yet I stand by my statement that this decade is the best because anyone can enjoy the music of the past and get the great stuff being released daily: Fleet Foxes, Horse Feathers, Bon Iver, White Stripes, Radiohead, TV on the Radio etc among many others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back