Best DAP purely for playing stored files
Jul 26, 2022 at 8:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

TheHound

New Head-Fier
I need to replace my Cowon J3 after I lost it on a recent journey (sadly I also lost my HifiMan IEMs). I don't use streaming services and will be using it entirely to play my own files, largely FLAC. Today's players are certainly feature rich, but I don't need Tidal or Spotify. I've been doing a bit of research and the FiiO M11 Plus ESS looks like a great all-round option, though it does have streaming stuff which I don't need. That's not a problem in and of itself if it will still do what I need better than anything else. I know most DAPs have that functionality now. But I wonder if there are any better options for playing my files in terms of sound performance, slimness and battery life? Option for balanced phones is nice but not essential.

Tldr - what's the best option for playing stored FLACs at the moment? Regardless of what other features it may or may not have, FLAC playback, slim form factor and battery life are the main factors. Is there anything targeted to what I want, or should I just get the M11 Plus ESS (it's a bit thick and the battery life is way less good than the J3's, but it does look like one of the better all round options on the market if there is nothing more targeted to my needs)?

edit: Dethonray DTR1+ looks a good option?
edit2: Though the battery life looks worse than the M11 Plus ESS, so maybe not, unless the sound is better?
edit3: This review suggests it sounds better than the M11 Pro, though doesn't compare it to the M11 Plus ESS. It's more expensive (899 vs 6900 for the FiiO, but I would consider it if were the better choice

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #2 of 18
What's the best option for playing stored FLACs at the moment? Regardless of what other features it may or may not have, FLAC playback, slim form factor and battery life are the main factors. - You can try a Lotoo Paw 6000. It's a minimal player with no extra/unnecessary features than to play music. Supports upto 1 TB of music, boots in 2 seconds, searches faster than any other dap in its price category. Sounds great as well.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #5 of 18
Jul 28, 2022 at 1:15 PM Post #6 of 18
Thanks for the suggestion. May I ask what might be particularly noteworthy about this one? Will it sound better than the Dethonray DTR1+ or the M11 Plus ESS?
Won't know until it comes available. If it's a just a stripped down version of the RS6, with same R2R resistance ladder technology, then yes, it absolutely should. I haven't heard a Hiby that didn't sound good.

Jul 29, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #8 of 18
The Lotoo PAW 6000 looks like a very serious contender - thank you for bringing it to my attention! Can anyone comment on how it sounds and generally compares with the Dethonray DTR1+ or any others mentioned in this thread?

edit: According to the comparison here the Dethonray sounds sweeter and more musical. But the Lotoo has the better battery life.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #9 of 18
I second Lotoo PAW 6000 recommendation. It's a great sounding non-nonsense DAP, and if it's within your budget (musicteck regularly sells it under $1000) it's worth considering.
Good to know. I'm looking at the soon to be released Shanling M6 Ultra. It has 4 of the same dac chips as the 6000. Obviously not an option in this scenario though.

Jul 30, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #10 of 18
Cowon Plenue D or D2 :thumbsup: Huge battery life, small size. Depending on how much storage you need it may prove a good buy. I've owned both, The D2 has a wicked amp, more storage (just) and balanced if that floats your boat.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #12 of 18
I somehow actually found my Cowon J3! And my HiFiMan RE600. Naturally I'm now wondering if it's worth getting a new DAP, or maybe just a new pair of IEMS and go high end. Can anyone comment on how the newer players might sound compared to the J3 - is there much difference in sound (especially given the lower battery life of the newer ones)?

I was veering close to the DTR1+, but was slightly put off by the 8 hour battery and the fact that most things about it, aside from the actual sound, sound like they are sub-par. I was going to have a real think about whether I wanted it versus the Lotoo Paw 6000 or a newer Cowon, but now I have the J3 again I'm not sure whether to bother.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #13 of 18
Just means you can kick back and upgrade in a leisurely fashion :grin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back