Best DAP player for around 1200?
Nov 21, 2017 at 1:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Omega139

100+ Head-Fier
Hey folks,

I'm looking to get a DAP player for around 1200$ (used or new).

I'm looking for something with an efficient interface (quick navigation), a lot of storage (2 MicroSD cards preferred) , and something that I can use as a DAC player to pair with my laptop for FLAC audio. I use a Noble Audio K10 and a Campfire Andromeda. Moreover, I listen to Rock and Metal music, so I don't want anything too "bass heady".

Some of things i've been looking at are:
Sony Wm1a
OPUS #2
AK 120 II

Has anyone had any experience with these DAP's and could vouch for a specific one?

If anyone could help me out it will be very much appreciated !

Nov 21, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #4 of 16
Ak240 is a step above the players you have listed. At one time it was the flagship for Astell & Kern. We aren't talking dramatic differences in performance, but it will sound a bit better, with a bit more detail etc.

Nov 21, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #5 of 16
Ak240 is a step above the players you have listed. At one time it was the flagship for Astell & Kern. We aren't talking dramatic differences in performance, but it will sound a bit better, with a bit more detail etc.

Thank you! Are there any other players that are of similar performance to the AK240 that I can buy used?

Nov 12, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #7 of 16
Reviving an old thread. What DAP under $1200 has the best sound quality and streams Tidal or Qobuz?

Nov 13, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #9 of 16
Cayin n6ii new

Nov 13, 2020 at 5:42 AM Post #10 of 16
Ibasso DX 220 new .... or a used Fiio M15

For OP: take a note of the DX300 thread. I remember reading that there might be preorders opened already before turn of the year.

Nov 15, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #13 of 16
I'd think about the dac chips implemented before deciding on a specific dap. I primarily listen to rock and metal as well. I've personally found ESS chips to be a little too harsh, edgy, and analytical to play well with these genres. Cirrus Logic seems to smooth out the harsh edges, and tone it back a bit. I haven't heard anything from AKM... Yet, but they are often referred to as having a velvety sound. I suppose some people may like ESS with forward, aggressive music, but it wasn't my cup of tea. Hiby is releasing their flagship dap in the R8 (akm4497), and the Shanling M6 Pro has them as well. Just a few other options that haven't been listed.

Nov 16, 2020 at 1:05 AM Post #14 of 16
I'd think about the dac chips implemented before deciding on a specific dap. I primarily listen to rock and metal as well. I've personally found ESS chips to be a little too harsh, edgy, and analytical to play well with these genres. Cirrus Logic seems to smooth out the harsh edges, and tone it back a bit. I haven't heard anything from AKM... Yet, but they are often referred to as having a velvety sound. I suppose some people may like ESS with forward, aggressive music, but it wasn't my cup of tea. Hiby is releasing their flagship dap in the R8 (akm4497), and the Shanling M6 Pro has them as well. Just a few other options that haven't been listed.

Have heard the sound of both the R8 and M6 to be on the natural reference side of spectrum, north of flat frequency response with m6 having more monitor-ish sound to it.

Nowadays manufacurer are able to tune the sound signature to their preference regardless of what the chips actually sound like.

Have you tried korean brand Opus?. I owned Opus1 metal premium with Cirrus Logic CS4398 in it. Has very laid back sounding but as far as I know, ESS and AKM seems to be the most popular choice when it comes to their (or any other brand) flagship line up.

Nov 16, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #15 of 16
Have heard the sound of both the R8 and M6 to be on the natural reference side of spectrum, north of flat frequency response with m6 having more monitor-ish sound to it.

Nowadays manufacurer are able to tune the sound signature to their preference regardless of what the chips actually sound like.

Have you tried korean brand Opus?. I owned Opus1 metal premium with Cirrus Logic CS4398 in it. Has very laid back sounding but as far as I know, ESS and AKM seems to be the most popular choice when it comes to their (or any other brand) flagship line up.
Yes, I use to own the Opus #1s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back