best dap for tidal streaming
Jul 18, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #16 of 21
since why not?

the thread title states "streaming" and not offline storage, as far as i can see.

KANN got a great dac and an amp and honestly i don't think i can hear any difference between kann playing straight out 16/44 vs. the MQA stuff that i was getting with my ONKYO.

so in my opinion, the KANN is as good of a streamer for tidal as anything else out there.

First post of OP stipulates interest in MQA + offline Tidal to external card. They also want a smooth user interface.

Offline Tidal to sd card necessitates an android source. Portable MQA is still limited in implementation. UI is more or less ok, given the restrictions of the other two conditions.

The KANN is a rockin player and I agree that it's not only a great streaming option, but also offers a smooth UI experience. I also cannot hear any difference between MQA and 16-bit/44.1kHz tracks, but while the KANN might work for the two of us, it doesn't meet what the OP wanted. The KANN offers neither MQA nor offline Tidal.

Aug 14, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #18 of 21
AFAIK the only option to use MQA in Tidal is using their Windows PC as they say in their website FAQ section. The best you can get with Tidal Android is 44.1 kHz and 16 bit through HiFi. Good enough for me though.

As many may already know, and I know this doesn't address OPs desire for offline too...USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP), an Android app, allows one to stream Tidal MQA files from their DAP/smartphone/tablet using UAPP's bit perfect mode into a MQA full decode-capable DAC like the Meridian Explorer2 (ME2).

In my case, using UAPP, I'm able to successfully stream Tidal MQA tracks using either an older Tegra tablet (Android 4.3) or FiiO X5III (w/FW1.21) connected to the ME2 using an OTG cable.

UAPP also has a dedicated Hi Res driver (not MQA) for the FiiO X5III that will stream all the Tidal MQA tracks in Hi Res (but not in full 192Khz MQA mode) and I actually prefer it, for some reason, to the bit perfect MQA stream into the ME2 from the FiiO.

Aug 14, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #19 of 21
I use the Onkyo DPX1A for Tidal and while its not great it does get the job done. Just a little patience is required. Good price to performance.

Mar 23, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #20 of 21
Not sure if there is still interest in this thread or the question it paused, but since it started, the best dedicated DAP (and possibly only option) for Tidal online and offline, plus other all steaming apps like Spotify online and offline etc is the Hiby R6 Pro (or predecessor Hiby R6). Plays Tidal Master files too. Fantastic DAP , IMHO. There is a thread covering it on these forums.

Dec 6, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #21 of 21
But does the R6 really output the hi res?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back