best DAC under $700 to use with violectric V200 and HD800?
Jan 12, 2012 at 7:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Kepic

Head-Fier
woo! my rig is finally half way there

the only one left: a standalone DAC

with hundreds brand available on the market, it's really hard to pick one

I've already narrow down to the following 

1. Lead Audio LA-100

2. EE MiniMax

3. StageDAC

Could anyone share their thoughts / impression with HD800?

or is there any other recommendation? 

my budget is under 700 USD / AUD

my current setup is

Macbook Pro -> optical out -> icon HDP -> HD800

the Violectric V200 will be delivered next week, hope I can find a DAC soon to complete the rig.

my music is mostly alternative / electronic / soundtrack / with a very small portion of classic

Thanks everyone :D

Jan 12, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #2 of 6
You can definitely find a used Benchmark DAC1 for that price, maybe even a DAC1 USB if you stretch it; and that's pretty much as transparent and neutral and non-colored as a DAC can possibly get.  

Anyway, the DAC1 I have was my first upgrade up away from the Nuforce Icon HD (allegedly identical in dac/amp implementation as your HDP) I had, so I'm naturally biased for it. Still, check reviews and graphs, DAC1 is some really legit stuff.

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #3 of 6
So your headphone is 1500 dollars, and your amp is around 1000. I don't think you should stoop down to 700 for your DAC, unless you go for used ones.

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
You can definitely find a used Benchmark DAC1 for that price, maybe even a DAC1 USB if you stretch it; and that's pretty much as transparent and neutral and non-colored as a DAC can possibly get.  

Anyway, the DAC1 I have was my first upgrade up away from the Nuforce Icon HD (allegedly identical in dac/amp implementation as your HDP) I had, so I'm naturally biased for it. Still, check reviews and graphs, DAC1 is some really legit stuff.

DAC1 is interesting but it doesn't have a 115V / 230V switch, I'll move back from Australia (230V) to Taiwan (115V) this July so I hope the

DAC could offer the power switch.

Thanks for your recommendation :D 

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #6 of 6
Just  went to Benchmark website , their refurnish DAC1 is going at USD700. 
good deal. 

for the voltage portion ,  just use the step up transformer in between the countries that you travel .

I too , just had a Violelectric V200 and I am just using my fostex HP-P1 as DAC for it (using a mini line out - RCA cable connection). 
No ideal , but work for me at this time until I have enough $$ for a dedicated DAC and a source too.

Cheers

Quote:
Quote:
So your headphone is 1500 dollars, and your amp is around 1000. I don't think you should stoop down to 700 for your DAC, unless you go for used ones.

Yeah, a used one is considered. 

Could you offer your recommendation? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back