Best DAC under $1000?
Jan 13, 2006 at 11:50 AM Post #3 of 22
The best balanced DACs under $1000 are the Lavry Black, Apogee Mini-DAC (no RCA-output), and the DAC1. The slightly more expensive Bel Canto DAC2 is there but doesn't have balanced outputs or a headphone amp.

The Aqvox is a bit obscure at the moment, as is there are few (if any) reviews. RME's DAC is interesting because it's about $800 and is also an A/D converter. I can't find any real reviews of it either.

Jan 13, 2006 at 1:52 PM Post #4 of 22
Channel Islands VDA-2 ($599) & VAC-1 Power Supply ($159).

Jan 13, 2006 at 2:24 PM Post #5 of 22
I have a dack ack v2.0 with the teflon cap upgrade I am auditioning right now. This is the best sounding source I have heard. I am using the dack with a sacdmods 555es or Eastsound E5 as the transport. The naturalness and lack of digital artifacts is wonderful. As good as the E5 and the modded 555es happen to be on their own .... the dack v2.0 is just better. I have to get one of these.
icon10.gif

Jan 13, 2006 at 2:28 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by applebook
The best balanced DACs under $1000 are the Lavry Black, Apogee Mini-DAC (no RCA-output), and the DAC1. The slightly more expensive Bel Canto DAC2 is there but doesn't have balanced outputs or a headphone amp.

The Aqvox is a bit obscure at the moment, as is there are few (if any) reviews. RME's DAC is interesting because it's about $800 and is also an A/D converter. I can't find any real reviews of it either.

so which one of the three is the best?( mini-DAC, DAC1, Lavry DA10)

Jan 13, 2006 at 3:47 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmo
Channel Islands VDA-2 ($599) & VAC-1 Power Supply ($159).

I did a search, and I still haven't found a good, extensive Headfi Review of how the VDA-2 / VAC-1 combo sound. Would you be willing to contribute one, Asmo?

Jan 13, 2006 at 4:44 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis
I did a search, and I still haven't found a good, extensive Headfi Review of how the VDA-2 / VAC-1 combo sound. Would you be willing to contribute one, Asmo?

Soon!

580smile.gif

There are a few head-fi members who are waiting for theirs to arrive, it is a new product, but I am 110% certain it is competitive with the other models listed, based purely on how good his products are, I was only posting it, because it is worth looking at. I will ask a friend of mine, who has a DAC-1 and is waiting for a VDA-2 to arrive if he has gotten it yet. I am also looking at pickin up a vda-2 shortly.

Jan 13, 2006 at 4:51 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Soon!

580smile.gif

There are a few head-fi members who are waiting for theirs to arrive, it is a new product, but I am 110% certain it is competitive with the other models listed, based purely on how good his products are, I was only posting it, because it is worth looking at. I will ask a friend of mine, who has a DAC-1 and is waiting for a VDA-2 to arrive if he has gotten it yet. I am also looking at pickin up a vda-2 shortly.

Well, then add me to the list of members eagerly awaiting a full descriptive analysis. Thanks!

Jan 13, 2006 at 5:39 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by clackman
so which one of the three is the best?( mini-DAC, DAC1, Lavry DA10)

As cliche as it sounds, and as often as it's said, the truth is you have to decide for yourself. Of those I've only heard the Apogee and the Benchmark, and they both sound quite different. The benchmark is very analytical, and reveals everything a particular recording has to offer - good or bad. If you enjoy this kind of ultra-precision than I would go with the DAC1.

I've only briefly listened to the Apogee so I'm not qualified to give you much feedback, suffice to say that it added colouration to the sound, and was less testing of the recording than the DAC1.

I've never heard the DA10.

So it all depends on the type of sound you want.

Jan 13, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Soon!

580smile.gif

If you are waiting for me, I never ordered a VDA-2 due to problems with shipping
frown.gif

Jan 13, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #12 of 22
If there's such a thing as an absolute "best of" anything at any given price point, then everyone would own that product
biggrin.gif
AFAIK, this is not the case.

For me, the DAC1 is the best under $1500 because of its features, and because I like its sound signature: analytical, quick, excellent transient attack, and very detailed.

Jan 14, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #15 of 22
I would second the benchmark DAC1. It is a very good deal for what it is capable and for its sound. If you want quick, anyalitcal, and precise sound than this is great. It really does a good job as a source and has excellent intrement seperation. It has a great black background noise with wide soundstage that seems very naturall. At times it can sound a little cold and too quick and snappy and would prefer to have the notes decay more with more warmth. If you feel like you want to warm things up a bit than a tube amp does just that. This dac 1 does a really good job on conveying one into the music.

just my opinion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back