Best DAC + Headphone Amp for $300 to 600 for Grados. Why? Recommendations please?
Mar 31, 2010 at 2:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

shawn_low

500+ Head-Fier
My listening habits have settled into a pattern.

As I work at the desk for a good part of the day, I'm running music via my PC.

Currently, I'm running audio via ASIO drivers into a Yulong UA188 Amp+Dac combo. I'm a Grado nut and will run 32ohm cans 90% of the time.

I sometime use the Yulong as a preamp into other stuff on my desk at work (Cavelli CTH, Rhinelander).

I'm happy with the current setup but haven't actually listened to any higher-end DAC.

I am looking to get a single box solution (headamp + DAC combo) at a $300-600 price range. NOT portable.

So, please chime in with your recommendations and why. Thanks!

Mar 31, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #2 of 6
mate ordered the C-2 yesterday
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #3 of 6
Kunal, great to see you decided.

I'm still hunting for that elusive headamp + DAC combo. The C2 is headphone amp only. Let me know how you got though.

So far, I'm thinking:
  1. Nuforce HDP (but will need to wait for further impression). RRP$449 + ship.
  2. Matrix Mini-i. RRP$330 shipped.

I want to hear significant difference over the Yulong UA188 I'm running.

Mar 31, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by shawn_low /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kunal, great to see you decided.

I'm still hunting for that elusive headamp + DAC combo. The C2 is headphone amp only. Let me know how you got though.

So far, I'm thinking:
  1. Nuforce HDP (but will need to wait for further impression). RRP$449 + ship.
  2. Matrix Mini-i. RRP$330 shipped.

I want to hear significant difference over the Yulong UA188 I'm running.

The HDP and the Mini are well renowned at least on head-fi, my setup would only be complete once I get the DAC-19
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 31, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #5 of 6
I don't know, there's been some doubts on the Matrix's use of opamps, some members feel that they aren't the best. Check out the Audio GD Fun as well, the reviews are good and you can swap the chips for a different sound if you felt like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back