Best DAC for under $1k, used?
Aug 1, 2005 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Blorton

100+ Head-Fier
I've about decided to buy a Benchmark DAC-1 this week.

Are there any other contenders in that space I should investigate? The Grace m902 looks interesting, but is a little too expensive.

A usb interface isn't required, I'm looking for a reference home unit. I'd like to have diagnostics/source info abilities, as well as multiple inputs, both of which the DAC-1 is weak at.

SQ is the primary goal here. I'm going Meridian hunting with this setup.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Any weakness the onboard amp may have in the DAC-1 is not a concern since I plan to utilize balanced outputs.

Thanks!
Dan

Aug 1, 2005 at 5:11 PM Post #2 of 24
Dan,
Many people seem to like the Bel Canto DAC II as well; however, it lacks the headphone amp functions. DAC from MSB also very highly regard.

Aug 1, 2005 at 5:13 PM Post #3 of 24
It depends on the sound signature you are looking for. Do you like warm or cold sound? More bass, more treble, more midrange, or just flat? Fast attack or smooth sound? etc. etc.

Aug 1, 2005 at 5:19 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
It depends on the sound signature you are looking for. Do you like warm or cold sound? More bass, more treble, more midrange, or just flat? Fast attack or smooth sound? etc. etc.

I like a bright and fast sound with lots of texture and dynamics but am really looking for a neutral presentation with a lot of resolution. That make any sense?
biggrin.gif

Purk: thanks for those names, I'll check those out.

Dan

Aug 1, 2005 at 6:08 PM Post #5 of 24
Dan,

Another possibility to consider is getting an older used DAC. I recently bought a Classe Audio DAC-1 (late '90's) off of Audiogon that has 5 different inputs: 2 coaxial, 1 balanced, 1 toslink, & 1 st.

At this point in time, I'm not really qualified to recommend the Classe DAC-1 (not to be confused with the Benchmark DAC-1) -- I'm still waiting on a big order of cables from Grover, so that I can fully audition this, in combination with the Ray Samuels Stealth & Paradigm Studio 100 speakers I also bought not too long ago. Also, I haven't actually heard any of the newer DAC's (I wish I could get to the Head-Fi meet in San Jose this Saturday, but I have to work
mad.gif
).

That being said, however, the preliminary results on the Classe DAC-1 are excellent. It has a detailed, but smooth sound that greatly improves what I was getting from my E-MU 1212m soundcard, and has HDCD to couple with my CD player as transport, that I'm eager to fully test out as well.

A possible drawback is the lack of upsampling (it only samples @44.1kHz), but I don't think that's really a problem for me. Again, I'm eager to hear how it all pans out, once I can put all of my new Grover cables into action
biggrin.gif

Bob

Aug 1, 2005 at 6:54 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt
Used:
For 1000 I would look for a ECD1:
http://www.stereotimes.com/acc030303.shtm

I second. This DAC doesn't get a lot of press on this forum, but it is really great, even in its stock form. I found it significantly better than the Bel Canto DAC 2, which I enjoyed for several months before finding a used ECD1.

Aug 1, 2005 at 7:00 PM Post #10 of 24
I'd investigate the various mytek and apogee DACs, too. I've not heard them, but I've used older apogee ADCs and have been impressed. They know their stuff. The myteks just come highly recommended among taper circles.

Aug 1, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #11 of 24
Thanks for all the references. I just checked the usual sources for the ECD-1 and don't see any available at the moment. I'll have to keep an eye out for one.

The other thing that I thought might be cool with the Benchmark is that I could do the DIY mods to it. Those might make a worthwhile difference.

Cheers!
Dan

Aug 4, 2005 at 4:26 PM Post #12 of 24
Just wanted to follow up on this...

I pulled the trigger today on a used DAC-1 and am looking forward to it's arrival late next week or so. I did try to locate an ECD-1, but they are scarce on the used market. Opted to get something sooner rather than later.
biggrin.gif

Anyways, thanks everyone for the feedback. Since I don't even have a mid-fi cdp at the moment, I expect this upgrade should hold me for some time.

Cheers!
Dan

Aug 6, 2005 at 4:34 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blorton
Just wanted to follow up on this...

I pulled the trigger today on a used DAC-1

..and where the hell did you find a used dac-1 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back