Best DAC for under $150?
Mar 1, 2006 at 9:50 AM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by XxATOLxX
DAC-AH.
biggrin.gif
I love mine, its a definite step up from the EMU-0404.

Don't know much about the Zhalou and the DIYeden though

I am definetly getting a DAC-AH also probably next month and see which one is a keeper.The great bass of the DAC-AH that i hear about keeps it on my mind.

Mar 1, 2006 at 10:22 AM Post #17 of 34
Is there any comparison of DAC-AH and Firestone Audio Spitfire DAC? I just heard Spitfire in my own rig a moment ago but it didn't impress me that much. I couldn't hear hardly any difference between the analog out of Juli@ vs. Spitfire.

Mar 2, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #18 of 34
Can the DAC-AH only be run via optical? I am using a laptop and do not have an optical out, and would prefer to stick to USB. If I cannot therefore use the DAC-AH, anyone recommend the Fubar or the Silverstone over each other? Thanks.

Mar 2, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jersey
Can the DAC-AH only be run via optical? I am using a laptop and do not have an optical out, and would prefer to stick to USB. If I cannot therefore use the DAC-AH, anyone recommend the Fubar or the Silverstone over each other? Thanks.

It can be run coax digital as well. No idea if your laptop supports that either though.

Mar 2, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
Does anyone know the specs on the DAC-AH his website surprisingly doesn't have much info at all. Where do you buy the cables for it?

Specs:

Transformer: High quality R-Core
Power supply: 3 regulated isolated power supplies
Digital Receiver: CS8414
Op Amp: Burr Brown
DAC chips: 8 paralleled Philips TDA-1543, non oversampling
Dimensions: 2.6 x 5.9 x 9.1 (HxWxD in inches)
Inputs: Coax and Toslink
Output: RCA
Weight: 2.5 Kg
Finish: Black metal.
Voltage: 110 V AC

As for the cables you can get them anywhere. You will probably need an optical cable and a RCA-RCA or a RCA-Mini plug interconnect.

Mar 2, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #22 of 34
Okay so I have an extra, quality rca to rca interconnect but what is an optical cable? Is that for an SPDIF out into the dac? Also can you use a power supply like the one they sell at Firestone Audio for their DAC with it? Thanks for the help by the way.

Mar 2, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889
Okay so I have an extra, quality rca to rca interconnect but what is an optical cable? Is that for an SPDIF out into the dac? Also can you use a power supply like the one they sell at Firestone Audio for their DAC with it? Thanks for the help by the way.

You need either a optical cable (Example) or a digital coax (Example)
it all depends on your transport. If you are using the Audigy you could use either but I like optical better but that is just my opinion. As for power you are good to go unless you want to get an aftermarket cable though that is entirely optional.

Mar 2, 2006 at 12:07 PM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firam
Specs:

Voltage: 110 V AC

It's also available in EU voltage (220V). The final cost with shipping to Finland is $10 higher than the regular price.

I e-mailed to GR Research to verify this.

Mar 4, 2006 at 5:59 AM Post #25 of 34
whenever this comes up my vote is for the midiman(m-audio) flying calf or flying cow. now discontinued. can sometimes be had for less than $150 new old stock. if it is used expect to pay more than it cost new. ie. more than $150. $150 is a darn cheap dac. is both peices of that foobar really less than$150? sorry i'm drunk it's friday
smily_headphones1.gif

music_man.

Mar 4, 2006 at 6:02 AM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man
whenever this comes up my vote is for the midiman(m-audio) flying calf or flying cow. now discontinued. can sometimes be had for less than $150 new old stock. if it is used expect to pay more than it cost new. ie. more than $150. $150 is a darn cheap dac. is both peices of that foobar really less than$150? sorry i'm drunk it's friday
smily_headphones1.gif

music_man.

I can see that.

Mar 4, 2006 at 6:04 AM Post #27 of 34
you can see that i always reccomend the m-audio as a super cheap dac. or that i am drunk thinking both peices of the foobar are less than $150? lol.

what else will $150 buy you in a dac that aint a lot of dough.

music_man.

edit: nevermind i am drunk. i was looking at the icute under the foobar....

Mar 7, 2006 at 9:57 AM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firam
You need either a optical cable (Example) or a digital coax (Example)
it all depends on your transport. If you are using the Audigy you could use either but I like optical better but that is just my opinion. As for power you are good to go unless you want to get an aftermarket cable though that is entirely optional.

Is the tip on the optical cable you suggested round or square? I have a square out on the front but the digital out on the back is a small round hole, idk maybe I'll just have to use the coaxial out instead.

Mar 8, 2006 at 7:38 AM Post #29 of 34
if you need a round optical plug the only ones i know of are extra cheap cables. ala radioshack. but that is ok it is just a tube of light. unless they make a tube that manages to distort the light, which they sure can. most are shaped like a little 'house' on the end. anyhow i don't know what the consensus here is before i get screamed at, but it seems that coaxial is technically superior. so since you wanted to use that go right ahead.

music_man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back