Best DAC for under $150?
Feb 27, 2006 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Jersey

New Head-Fier
I was thinking the Fubar II or the Silverstone? Any recommendations for others under $150?

I'll be using the DAC --> PA2V2 --> AKG 601k.

Feb 27, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #3 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by fr4c
you could get a Lite DAC-AH for around that price.

That is what Jahn would say. I bought one on friday and I'm waiting for it to arrive. It is well liked, go for the DAC-AH.

Edit: Oh and keep in mind that you must factor in interconnects and soundcard costs. Because I don't think you can output from the ipod or ipod dock to the DAC, I'm almost positive. So you are looking at $30 for a AV-710 and anywhere from $10-∞ for a interconnect from DAC to amp plus a optical cable from soundcard to DAC running again $10-∞.

Feb 27, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #5 of 34
I'm also in the process of buying a DAC... here the 2 I'm looking at:
  1. http://www.diyeden.com
    They have some nice looking items, even some that have USB for a very good price. I haven't been able to find a review in english though. The great march costs $220 in china.
  2. http://www.zhaolu.com
    The zhaolu is a nice model and you can find a lot of reviews here. It has a headphone amp integrated. It's also balanced and easily mod'able too, $120 in china.

Lawrence Chan <lawrencechanckbig@yahoo.com.hk> can help you get
them ($300 for the DIYEDEN Great March, $180 for the Zhaolu, shipping is another ~$60 though). They are both slightly above your limit but worth considering IMO. I think I'm going to order a zhaolu right now...

-M

Feb 27, 2006 at 11:26 PM Post #6 of 34
I get most probably my diyeden great-march tomorrow so can comment about it.. Only problem is didnt get stock unit so maybe it doesnt help afterall..
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2006 at 11:28 PM Post #7 of 34
Slightly? That's like double lol...

Especially if you add onto the Zhalou.

To be honest, I am interested in those sub $500 DAC, but there are not enough round up comparisons. I think a lot of people just buy one based on what their little pinky tells them (or rather, based on what they read - but its still intuition in the end), find that it is better than sans-DAC/a comparably low end source, and live happy ever after (until they can afford an upgrade).

I probably won't invest in a DAC for another year now, but hopefully there will be some swaps/more comparisons as time goes by.

Feb 27, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #9 of 34
But surely there are some that really stand out and are often compared?

I mean, there are a lot of headphones under $500. But the same names are constantly echoed in these forums, and we get frequent debates on the differences between those headphones.

Feb 28, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #10 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by TooNice
But surely there are some that really stand out and are often compared?

Well lite dac-60 seems to be popular if thats what you are asking
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 4:13 AM Post #12 of 34
I cannot really give you input or comparison with anything else, but I am myself happy with the firestone audio Fubar USB DAC.
Note : The Ipod is not connected to it, it is in the picture just for dimension purpose
Lionel
fubarandcute2.jpg

Mar 1, 2006 at 1:01 AM Post #13 of 34
lionel marechal, have you tried running the fubar thru your computer? how clean is it?

one more question, can you power a hd595 with just the fubar? have you done it before? let me know, thx

Mar 1, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #14 of 34
The fubar is running from my PC, there is not other way,it is a USB DAC. The sound is very clean, the first thing I was happy with is the cleaning of the background noise/hissing compared to my regular standard sound card.

You DO need a headphone amp behing it, the fubar output is 2 RCA audio, you cannot connect an headphone to it and there is no amp inside.

I personnaly to go for the Cute Beyond amp (same company) based on reviews and the 'sexy' factor (look at the picture
icon10.gif
). But you could use any other amp.

Note : The Ipod is not connected to it, it is in the picture just for dimension purpose

I hope this helps
Lionel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back