Best DAC for easy switching between speakers and cans?
Jul 21, 2011 at 10:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ounwx

Head-Fier
So, here's my story. I'm currently rocking onboard sound (I know, I know) with a T-amp and bookshelf speakers. It actually doesn't sound bad at all with the T-amp connected through the back line-out port. However, the front-panel headphone outlet is rather noisy, and as a result I haven't been using headphones hardly at all for a few years now.

Earlier this week, I ordered some SR80i's, and I plan to use them frequently when they arrive. As a result, I will need to replace my onboard audio with a better-sounding and more ergonomic solution.

What I'd really like is a DAC with a built-in headphone amp that has the following characteristics:

- USB connectivity
- An analog/knob volume control for the headphone amp
- Unamplified line-out or RCA-out for my T-amp
- Manual selection between line-out and headphone-out would be preferable to automatic muting of line-out when the cans get plugged in

Perhaps a good way of summarizing my ideal solution is that it would essentially be a receiver, with the addition of a good headphone amp and without a standard (speaker) amp.

Price-wise, I'd really love it if I could stay around $100, though my preliminary research suggests that may not be realistic. I'm willing to accept less-than-perfect fidelity, given that my existing equipment isn't all that impressive to begin with.

Thus far, I've come across two options that seem somewhat down my alley: the Fiio E7+E9 combo, and the Maverick TubeMagic D1. Both would run me ~$200, a bit more than I was hoping to lay down for a modest DAC. Any opinions on those? Or, better yet, cheaper alternatives that generally meet the requirements I laid out above?

Jul 22, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #2 of 9
Skip the DAC and find a used preamp. Look around Audiogon at the older solid state preamps. Hopefully, you can find one for $300.

You want one with a tape loop/record out.

Hook your headphone amp to the record out. You'll be able to switch it in and out whenever you want. Connect your DAC to one of the inputs and your amp to the output. You'll be able to connect other sources, too.

I have an old Conrad-Johnson PV2 that I picked up for $300. All vacuum tube, two tape loops, and even a tubed phonostage. I can connect two headphone amps, a turntable, DAC, SACD player, FM tuner, and a power amp for speakers. I can pick from four sources and send them to two headphone amps or speakers. Very versatile. Get a preamp, don't look for a DAC that does it all.

Jul 22, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #3 of 9
The advice is appreciated, as always. However, I'm quite certain that I don't want to spend $300+ for whatever component I end up with. I'm using $100 bookshelf speakers and $100 headphones; to pair these with an exorbitant source seems a rather ineffective use of my (fairly limited) funds.

As such, I really would like to stick with an integrated DAC/amp solution, if possible. I understand this is far from ideal; however, it will probably be a far cry from my hissing onboard sound, too.

Question for Fiio E7 owners: is there a line-level pass through that is not amplified and would be suitable for my speakers? From the images I've seen, it doesn't appear so, which is deterring me a bit from that option (or at least making me think an E9 would be a mandatory accessory to pair with it).

Jul 22, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #4 of 9
I believe that the E7 has a line-out dongle adapter you can get separately. It taps the same "unamped" source signal that you would get by using an E9 with the E7.

The Audinst HUD-mx1 is another option at $179 including shipping. Has a toggle switch on the front panel for selecting between the RCA outputs and headphones. The RCA out is still affected by the volume control, so it's more of a pre-amp out than a line-out.

Jul 23, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #6 of 9
You don't have to spend $300; I was just explaining my system.

You can find used solid state preamps for $100-$200. I'd recommend going with one because it would let you grow your system over time.

Jul 23, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #7 of 9
You can look at the e-mu usb 0404. It has an optical, coaxial, and usb input, and it has two main outputs (balanced and unbalanced), and one headphone amplifier output. The two outputs (main and headphone) both have their dedicated volume dial, so you can turn off one and leave the other on, or have them both on at the same time. I have one and it's great with my two computers especially my laptop which does not have a digital audio out. I have not compared it to the asus xonar, but I had an old creative gamer extreme and it was a lot better than that.

Jul 25, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for the advice; it's all appreciated. However, I'm fairly sure a DAC with integrated amp is more suited to my needs than a preamp, at this juncture. Regarding the Creative USB solution: it looks intriguing, but after reading up, seems to be more of a jack-of-all-trades device with lots of input features that I don't need. I have a feeling I can get more for my money by going with an output-centric device.

The more I look around, the more I'm thinking either Fiio E7 ($100) or Maverick TubeMagic D1 ($200).

Advantages to E7: price, portability, no external power required

Advantages to TubeMagic: optical/coaxial input, 24/96, ergonomics on the desk, analog volume control for HP amp, multiple outputs

Any experiences with or opinions on either of these would be greatly appreciated.

Jul 27, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #9 of 9
[size=medium][size=medium]The Maverick TubeMagic [/size][/size][size=medium][size=medium]D1 also have a bit more powerful headphone amp. [/size][/size][size=medium][size=medium]I also heard from people that tried to upgrade from the Maverick and wish that they keep it. It all depends how important is portability is for you.  [/size][/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back