Best DAC for < $200?
Apr 5, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really do value your opinion Slim.A but I know things like these are very subjective.

Does anyone have thoughts on how the purepiper matches up with the uDAC, for Senn 650s + LD mkiii?

Melanter,

When I suggested the Purepiper over the uDAC, it was based on objective crieteria and not subjective listening as I have never listened to the uDAC.

The Purepiper and uDAC are absolutely not in the same category to begin with.
The uDAC is a hype product that is cheaply made.
The Purepiper on the other hand uses 2 separate transformers (one for the analog section, the other for the digital section). It also uses a DIR9001, top CS4398 converter chip with a discrete output stage. I wouldn't be surprised if the cost of components alone of the Purepiper were close to the selling price of the nuforce.

Of course, I am not telling that the Purepiper is the best under $200. A NOS valab dac or a used Musical Fidelity V Dac might outperform it. But the point is that it is a very well designed DAC for the price, and in subjective listening it was a good match with the particular combination you have : Little Dot mkIII + Sennheiser HD-650.

Anyway, I don't understand what you are trying to achieve. You have started many similar threads where you ask about which DAC you should get for your combo.
The more you ask, the more opinions you will have. Usually people will advice you to buy what they already bought themselves.

So in order to make your decision, you have generally 2 choices:
1. Someone else has a similar set-up and you use the same equipment he advises.
2. You base your choice on logic and circuit design.

At less than $200, you are bound to buy a DAC for which compromises were made during the design and choice of components.
The best bang for the buck would be achieved by either buying a chinese mannufactured DAC (Valab, Purepiper, Zero DAC, ...) or buying a used unit such as the Musical Fidelity V-DAC.
However, do no expect to achieve a decent quality from a small all purpose unit such as the uDAC. Such a low grade design simply doesn't have the right components and power supply to sound good in a revealing set-up. It won't necesseraly sound horrible with the little dot mkIII (as it is a very forgiving amp) but you won't be able to use something like the uDAC if you ever decide to upgrade your headphone amp later on.

Apr 6, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by slim.a /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway, I don't understand what you are trying to achieve. You have started many similar threads where you ask about which DAC you should get for your combo.
The more you ask, the more opinions you will have. Usually people will advice you to buy what they already bought themselves.

That's exactly what I'm trying to achieve.
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe you misinterpreted what I said, I really meant that I value your opinion but I just wanted other people to weigh in.

Also, is there anyone in North America that sells the PurePiper or would I have to order from China?

Apr 6, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would the HotAudio DAC-Extasy do?

I don't know how it performs, but it doesn't look good in paper. The main motivations behind its design seem to be the reduction of cost and size.

Here are a few other suggestions on the $200 region that have proper power supplies and selection of components:
CryoParts Pop Pulse 1796 DAC
Pacific Valve & Electric Company Pacific Valve Lite DAC AH (NOS)

Or you can always look for used gear: old Parasound DACs, used Musical fidelity V DAC, ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back