best DAC EVER MADE?
Mar 4, 2013 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

goobicii

100+ Head-Fier
what is best DAC in the world? I am talking about lowest distortion,cleanest sound ( no pre/post ringing ),perfect phase from 16-20.000hz,flattest freqency response...

I saw some Rowland DAC for 10.000  and this Ayre QA-9 usb for  4700 + some old 1999 Levinson 360s....  so whats best of the best? 

also I am talking about transparent DACs,I know the hyped up bass and whatever audiophile pleasurers and all these "musical sounding" thing... I dont mean any of that,I mean 100% truth,not making it sound better

Mar 5, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #4 of 62
Quote:
I would guess that it's probably the Benchmark DACs, but that is probably overkill for most people.

are you sure? I heard Benchmark DAC HDR with HD 800 and LCD-2 week ago...

but I also used it as amp so I am not sure if its the amp fault or dac fault but that thing was stupidly extremly BRIGHT

its like the thing have internal +6db boost around 10k hz

IT MADE EVEN LCD-2 TOO BRIGHT!        can you believe that? LCD-2?? the dark sounding headphone?!

then I tried it with HD800 and that was worst headphone sound I have ever heard in my life,I heard 30 dollar headphones that sounded far better than HD800 + Benchmark DAC HDR... it was like only treble and harshness,no bass,no mids,just crapload of treble

Mar 5, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 62
Dude, you ask a ridiculous question, then you throw a hissy fit when no one answers right away, then you ARGUE with the first person who answers?

What exactly are you playing at?  
confused_face_2.gif

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #7 of 62
Quote:
are you sure? I heard Benchmark DAC HDR with HD 800 and LCD-2 week ago...

but I also used it as amp so I am not sure if its the amp fault or dac fault but that thing was stupidly extremly BRIGHT

its like the thing have internal +6db boost around 10k hz

IT MADE EVEN LCD-2 TOO BRIGHT!        can you believe that? LCD-2?? the dark sounding headphone?!

then I tried it with HD800 and that was worst headphone sound I have ever heard in my life,I heard 30 dollar headphones that sounded far better than HD800 + Benchmark DAC HDR... it was like only treble and harshness,no bass,no mids,just crapload of treble

Thats what a good dac sounds like. Take it or leave it.

And I agree with the above post by nelamvr6  .

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #8 of 62
Quote:
Dude, you ask a ridiculous question, then you throw a hissy fit when no one answers right away, then you ARGUE with the first person who answers?

confused_face_2.gif

He's not remotely serious, so don't waste time expecting a serious thread.  Using an LCD-2 or HD 800s on an ultra-premium source( >$5k?) with no discussion of equivalent amplification, connections or even file types (USB? Balanced? Vinyl? PCM?)  Oh and it has to be "a transparent DAC" without "any of  ... these 'musical sounding' thing" .

Yet, when a known good quality DAC with a neutral, Analog Devices sigma-delta chip, which Sterophile mag gave an "A" grade as a Recommended Component of 2012

Quote:
"the HDR proved more musical and engaging with a bigger soundstage, better solidity and separation of instruments in the stereo image, and better treble resolution"

and Paul Seydor of TAS said

Quote:

“Super-clean, super-clear, super-quiet, super-transparent.”

is suggested, he whines that it's "too bright".  So that's a huge clue, practically in neon lights, that he has no idea what he's talking about.

He's a troll, so add him to your ignore list and move on.  Or have a good laugh.  Either way, it's not worth seriously answering.

So here's my non-serious answer: you definitely need a dCS Vivaldi, bro.  Totally. $110k.  Not musical at all.  Just what you need.  Gooby plz.

Mar 6, 2013 at 7:08 AM Post #11 of 62
Quote:

confused_face_2.gif

I agree with you on first two things,but the Benchmark DAC HDR,probably becose of its amp is really horrible,I tried it week ago first hand A/B with Senns and Audeze...

I am not even dissin it as DAC,becose like I said,I used the amp in it too...     I just wrote my experience,becose that was very shocking for unit of that price,I was really surprised...  the Violectric stuff was million times better

Mar 6, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #12 of 62
Quote:
He's not remotely serious, so don't waste time expecting a serious thread.  Using an LCD-2 or HD 800s on an ultra-premium source( >$5k?) with no discussion of equivalent amplification, connections or even file types (USB? Balanced? Vinyl? PCM?)  Oh and it has to be "a transparent DAC" without "any of  ... these 'musical sounding' thing" .

Yet, when a known good quality DAC with a neutral, Analog Devices sigma-delta chip, which Sterophile mag gave an "A" grade as a Recommended Component of 2012

and Paul Seydor of TAS said

is suggested, he whines that it's "too bright".  So that's a huge clue, practically in neon lights, that he has no idea what he's talking about.

He's a troll, so add him to your ignore list and move on.  Or have a good laugh.  Either way, it's not worth seriously answering.

So here's my non-serious answer: you definitely need a dCS Vivaldi, bro.  Totally. $110k.  Not musical at all.  Just what you need.  Gooby plz.

I dont give a FUNK what who ever where ever said,I tried it for MYSELF,you know whats the difference between reading something on internet and really trying it?     I was excited at first becose I heard mostly good things about Benchmark and was seriously considering buying it

but you made good point that I forgot to state these things

ok I want USB,Balanced,Wav/Pcm    and it has to be 24bit/192.000khz atleast

Mar 6, 2013 at 7:57 AM Post #13 of 62
It is so so subjective, maybe only tips what could be there. Price point is not the most important I guess for example Audio Note DAC5, price here it is something really crazy. And you have to know what you want if precise studio audiophile things like Emm Labs/Meitner, dCS etc. or more on tube side Lampizator, Audio Note, AMR etc. Matter of preference what is right! And build complete system is so hard amp, big quality speakers which will be capable to show you high definition, good acustic modified room...uff it is complicated.

Mar 6, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #14 of 62
Quote:
I dont give a FUNK what who ever where ever said,I tried it for MYSELF,you know whats the difference between reading something on internet and really trying it?    

So, WHY do you even ask such a ridiculous question in head-fi? 

There is no such thing as a perfect DAC, imho. Theoretically you may have best DAC in the world but pairing it with certain HP`s is totally another thing.
Additionally, ppl hear differently and have different taste of what "clean pure sound" sounds like. Thats the thing about DAC`s - you can`t say it' s perfect until YOU YOURSELF have found something FOR YOURSELF without noticing any shortcomings. That`s the truth - take it or leave it. 

Now, stop asking supid questions and good luck with finging best DAC in the world (YOUR OWN WORLD).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back