Best DAC < $500
Jan 11, 2009 at 10:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Shahrose

Headphoneus Supremus
In my 4 years on Head-fi (2 as a reader, 2 as a member), i've never looked into DACs because i've been a computer-as-a-source guy. i've tried searching but haven't come up with definitive answers to my question like i have for headphones/amps. so i'm here to ask the pros.

i basically want a DAC that will beat my current sound card (HT Omega Claro Plus+), which is one of the best soundcards for SQ currently available. it cost me about $220, so i'm assuming that a $500 budget should be enough to find a DAC that noticeably surpasses the Claro plus+.

i can increase my budget a bit if it's really worth the increase in SQ, but less is always better

my sound preference? smooth, warm, large soundstage. oh and i'll be using optical out from my soundcard. my current equipment is listed in my sig.

thanks in advance

Jan 12, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #3 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go to the for sale forum and buy the Oritek V4.0 that is being offered for $290. You will not go wrong.

Really? I can't find much in the way of reviews for it.

Jan 17, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 27
I am really interested in this thread because I am shopping for a DAC in that price range myself. A few that have caught my eye are...

-Yulong DAH 1
-DIYEDEN Great March 2 (with the Trends UD-10.1 transport)
-Monica 3
-Lite DAC 60

Any thoughts?

Jan 17, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #5 of 27
I've heard the CI VDA-2 is the best DAC under $2k, especially with the VRX-1 cable upgrade (lets you run full balanced out, you could build the cable yourself for probably $10 vs the $150+ CI wants, so keep that in mind, but basically if you utilize the balanced output feature is my point)

personally I'm more than satisfied with my Technics SH-AC500D, however it *is* an older unit and it *is* designed primarily for Dolby 5.1/DTS 5.1, not stereo music, still sounds good to my ears

the VDA-2 would probably be the best bet, its a bit over $500 new, but its probably the least expensive DAC i've seen that will do balanced output (if i'm wrong, please correct me, I'd love to see balanced for cheaper), and CI is always excellent build quality

Jan 17, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by exander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? I can't find much in the way of reviews for it.

Sorry, but did you try doing a search? There are many happy customers here who have posted how analog like the Oritek DAC sounds. I had a V4.1 and I regret having sold it, I am thinking on picking an used one w/ a black faceplate.

Jan 18, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #7 of 27
I am in a similar boat as the OP. As a result, I'm going to try to hi-jack his thread just a little bit.

I like the features of the Apogee mini-DAC, but don't think I'd like to spend quite that much money. The Channel Islands VGA-2 sounds like an excellent alternative, but I have a few questions:

Besides my cans, I will be running the DAC into a pair or KRK Rokit 6 self-powered monitors.
Would the volume control functionality of the mini-DAC be a perk here,
of could I operate speaker FX fairly easily with my computer (yes, I'm a noob)?

Also, I'm running Vista 64-bit. It doesn't seem like a lot of this stuff is vista compatible...yet. If I'm connecting the DAC to my computer via a working optical output, am I correct to assume it is not necessary for the DAC to be vista-compatible per se, or am I missing something?

Lastly, with a 6-ft cable run to my monitors, is a balanced output (TRS or XLR--I have both in the monitors) going to be an improvement over RCA or is it pretty much negligible (that is, would I be happer with an upgraded VGA-2 over the stock RCA outputs)?

Thanks a lot. Hope the OP doesn't mind me butting in here...

Jan 18, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by mightymiff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am in a similar boat as the OP. As a result, I'm going to try to hi-jack his thread just a little bit.

I like the features of the Apogee mini-DAC, but don't think I'd like to spend quite that much money. The Channel Islands VGA-2 sounds like an excellent alternative, but I have a few questions:

Besides my cans, I will be running the DAC into a pair or KRK Rokit 6 self-powered monitors.
Would the volume control functionality of the mini-DAC be a perk here,
of could I operate speaker FX fairly easily with my computer (yes, I'm a noob)?

Also, I'm running Vista 64-bit. It doesn't seem like a lot of this stuff is vista compatible...yet. If I'm connecting the DAC to my computer via a working optical output, am I correct to assume it is not necessary for the DAC to be vista-compatible per se, or am I missing something?

Lastly, with a 6-ft cable run to my monitors, is a balanced output (TRS or XLR--I have both in the monitors) going to be an improvement over RCA or is it pretty much negligible (that is, would I be happer with an upgraded VGA-2 over the stock RCA outputs)?

Thanks a lot. Hope the OP doesn't mind me butting in here...

it's cool

Jan 18, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #9 of 27
If you have a MAC you should certainly try duet apogee ^ ^ 495 many places~

Jan 18, 2009 at 3:04 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my 4 years on Head-fi (2 as a reader, 2 as a member), i've never looked into DACs because i've been a computer-as-a-source guy. i've tried searching but haven't come up with definitive answers to my question like i have for headphones/amps. so i'm here to ask the pros.

i basically want a DAC that will beat my current sound card (HT Omega Claro Plus+), which is one of the best soundcards for SQ currently available. it cost me about $220, so i'm assuming that a $500 budget should be enough to find a DAC that noticeably surpasses the Claro plus+.

i can increase my budget a bit if it's really worth the increase in SQ, but less is always better

my sound preference? smooth, warm, large soundstage. oh and i'll be using optical out from my soundcard. my current equipment is listed in my sig.

thanks in advance

For my knowledge, what do you mean by beat your soundcard? You will still be using that right? Do you mean surpass the quality of the soundcard's DAC? Pardon the ignorance, but is that all a DAC does i.e. bypass the onboard DAC?

Jan 18, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #12 of 27
You might also take a look at the Keces DACs. I totally love my 131 (optical/coax - with the $10 LME opamp upgrade). Haven't heard the USB version.

Jan 19, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #13 of 27
The missing piece of the puzzle here is the Cambridge Audio DacMagic. You will get a quality chassis and native balanced output (don't need an adaptor). Its $400 new. Look at it.

Jan 19, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #14 of 27
I would check out Parasound DACs
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back