Best Custom Cable for TF10 for me?
Dec 25, 2010 at 2:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Hydrocharged

100+ Head-Fier
I've been reading around and I've frequently heard of the Null Audio Enyo and Lune cables. I haven't heard much about how the Enyo's affect the SQ, except by people saying they make them sound "better". From what I've heard about the Lune cables, they increase the clarity of the highs, bring forward the mids (something I will truly enjoy) and tighten the bass. Now, the only thing I can't quite understand (perhaps as I'm still new to all of the technical lingo that audiophiles use) is what people mean by tightening of the bass. As I have configured right now, using the stock cable and Comply Foam tips (I have Sony Hybrids on the way to fix, what I perceive, a slight muffled sound), the bass is very enjoyable. My only problem is that the sub-bass doesn't seem to have all that much presence (something I'm used to from my previous Denons). Is this tightening of the bass what I'm looking for? Will it reduce the bass quantity but improve the quality? (I feel it has plenty of quality but need more quantity)

Also, are there other replacement or custom cables that may better fit my needs? I mainly listen to R&B (from Bass-Light to Bass-Intensive), though I do venture into all other musical areas except Country. I'm not trying to spend >$150. Thanks in advance!!

Dec 25, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #2 of 25
I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but IMO new cables for such tiny voltages that run IEM's will make no noticeable difference. I would say the improvement isn't in the actual audio, only in the head of the person buying them. Placebo affect IMO.......
Comfort on the other hand is another matter.

Dec 25, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #3 of 25
Because low level signal is less delicate? You do know that the this level of signal is similar to what runs through an audio interconnect but with a higher current requirement. If you don't think ICs sound different, it's because you're inexperienced or are living a self fulfilling prophesy where your brain instead of ears are leading you to less revealing kit in an category that the top engineers understand that they don't understand everything. Of course, you do. Flame On!
bigsmile_face.gif
and Merry Xmas.
That said, I wouldn't be trying to 'fix' them with a cable. TF10s weren't for me but if you already like them a lot more than others and just need a little more, go for it.

Dec 25, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #5 of 25
Current carrying capability of the cable will make a difference on a signal, so with such tiny currents being carried, the standard cable is more than capable of carrying it un-hindered. 
With such a small run, I would put money on the fact that in a true blind listening test people would not be able to hear the difference the standard cable and an expensive after-market cable.

Only my opinion though, and I wouldn't want to stop someone indulging in buying whatever cables make them happy. 
normal_smile .gif

PS - get some custom tips, which will cost less than custom cables, and make a huuuuuge difference to the sound of them, especially in the low end. I personally rate the TF-10's at around 7/10 with the standard tips, and around 9/10 with the custom ACS tips that I now have.

Dec 25, 2010 at 4:18 PM Post #6 of 25
How would I go about getting custom ACS tips? Also, I'm willing to get custom tips and custom cables for the best sound.

And, what specifically is better with the custom tips other than the noise isolation?

Dec 25, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #7 of 25
To be truthful, I have 2 Triple.Fi 10s (One from last years Goldbox deal and the one from this year burned in for control purposes). My previous one has Null Audios Lune cables (silver) and the new one has standard cables. I do have to admit the sound quality is hard to notice. BUT it is there and have to take into account. To me the sound quality difference is much more than adding an amp. (If you want a specific reference point) It's hard to explain how it "tightens" up the lows. (Sort of hard to explain how you feel sort of speak?) but lets just say that it snaps harder rather than resonate passed what its normally heard live. The highs kind of sparkle more and the mids are a little more pronounced (you can't get much better on the TF10s on the mids). It sounds like a lot but... It's not "significant". I would get it if you can afford it. But it all depends on your budget. To be truthful ditching out 130 bucks for a pair of cables that is going to give you marginal improvements is ballsy. But if you like the sound signature of your TF10s its worth it. Its between that or dishing out $280 bucks to reshell which would give significant amount of improvement.

Edit:This isn't to say that different cables provide a "better" sound quality. But it does change the sound to change certain sound qualities to the liking of certain people. Some people like the thickness of copper and others like the brightness of silver. I'm more of a person that likes bright so silver is more of my thing.

Dec 25, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #8 of 25
I would suggest you keep the original cable, I've tried several replacement but none of them maintain the original airy bass and relaxing mids. Most of the replaments WIll enhance the mids and highs (a bit brighter) but you also lose some soundstage.

Dec 25, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #9 of 25
In my hi-fi setup, I do have 3 spare interconnect of different brands and they do sounds very different so I do believe cable make a different. On earphone, I haven't tried one yet so I cannot comment. I did went after a replacement cable because I want a spare in case the stock one broke and since I'm ordering a cable I might as well ordered something different from the stock cable (have not receive the TF10 and replacement cable). My biggest question is actually not the cable but the thing like 3.5mm plug and the solder use for the joint. The plug is usually gold plated but it is still plated, the core of the plug is definately less pure then the cable likely some lesser conductive metal than copper. What about the joint? Maybe there are some percentage of silver but it is likely less than 10%. Let say we have a super high way (high grade cable with very low distortion) but very narrow exit (plug and soldering material) I think we have a very similar scenario. Of cause poor cable will make it worst but maybe good cable itself doesn't really make a different but cable material that is good match for the quality of plug and soldering material? I'm not sure, I'm no electronics guy trying to use layman mind to think of a relationship. What you guys think?

Dec 25, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #10 of 25
i am using TF10 too, found the stock cable to be too flimsy and also heavy. hence i changed my cable to westone, forget which model is it thou. what is the difference here then? i found the mids to be more forward, and also the highs to be brighter and crisp. however, due to the way TF10 was engineered there is still somehow, a lack in the bass...

Dec 26, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:
i am using TF10 too, found the stock cable to be too flimsy and also heavy. hence i changed my cable to westone, forget which model is it thou. what is the difference here then? i found the mids to be more forward, and also the highs to be brighter and crisp. however, due to the way TF10 was engineered there is still somehow, a lack in the bass...

I don't know... Lack of bass is... hard to believe? lol I guess it is a matter of opinion, but that is the first time I've ever heard that comment about the TF10s. With 2 lower BA drivers, and a decent high driver the charts are more parabolic (With elaboration of the lows, a decent amount of high and a recessed amount of mids.) Might want to check your seal. However, the westone cable is lighter. The only one I know of is the Westone Elite series replacement cable. It's like $30-40.

Dec 26, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #12 of 25
@QuantumXL
I'm used to headphones that have thunderous bass (albeit they were much, much lower quality) so, by my standards and preferences, these lack in bass. If everything were to remain the same about them but they had a slight increase in bass, I would be very, very happy.

Dec 26, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #13 of 25

Quote:
How would I go about getting custom ACS tips? Also, I'm willing to get custom tips and custom cables for the best sound.

And, what specifically is better with the custom tips other than the noise isolation?

Pretty much every aspect, but I did find getting a good consistent seal was difficult to achieve, and the custom tips now give a consistent seal every time, and have opened up the whole spectrum and deliver a very open sound (once I got used to them - which took a couple of days).
The bass is now really tight and punchy, and seem to deliver lower frequencies too. It really does make them feel like the sound is completely unhindered in getting to your ear drums, and they seem to remove any colouration that all the other tips seemed to add. Personally, I think they are the best value for improving the sound, as genuine customs or re-shelling into customs seem a lot more expensive.

Dec 26, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #14 of 25
     Quote:
I'm used to headphones that have thunderous bass (albeit they were much, much lower quality) so, by my standards and preferences, these lack in bass. If everything were to remain the same about them but they had a slight increase in bass, I would be very, very happy.

Well then, if that were the case you might want to consider either sticking to the same stock wire or get Null Audios Enyos (Copper wire) and makes it sound thicker and stronger bass. I've never tried it but I heard it was a low frequency gain.

Dec 26, 2010 at 4:28 PM Post #15 of 25
Ah, so I shall get the Null Audio Enyo cables! Good that they aren't too expensive too.

@Soundmangt4: How much did you pay to get your custom ear tips? And how long did they take to make them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back