Best Country phones?
Jun 17, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #16 of 30
Just struck me everytime the Triport come up someone reccomends the Sen HD201
smily_headphones1.gif
save $150 and get them. I have had the chance to listen to them for about half hours time, not bad for $20....

Jun 17, 2006 at 4:19 AM Post #17 of 30
I hear the Qualias are killer for country and western.

Jun 17, 2006 at 8:25 AM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by hozo
You always hear people say Grados for Rock, Sennheisers for Classical, Audio Technicas for Jazz/rock/pop. What about Country music
biggrin.gif
? It has the dynamics of rock, the detail and resolution of classical, and the instrumentals of jazz....It has voice (male/female and on many occasions, both). It uses electric and acoustic instruments. It has lots of bass beats from drums and generated notes....

I consider the description above as a best-case assumption...
biggrin.gif

But a really interesting question. Too bad that you didn´t include the new DT 880s in your list. They do acoustic guitars, vocals and the rythm instruments very well. I don´t know all of the phones you listed but I would rate the HD 600s second best.

Jun 17, 2006 at 2:00 PM Post #20 of 30
I absolutely love my Grado's for listening to country. I think they do an even better job for country than they do for rock. Most country has lots of clear accurate strings to it, which Grado's do an amazing job with. As for vocals, songs like Alan Jackson's "Remember When" and Sugarlands "Just might make me believe" sound really rich.

I listen to a lot of country. Kinda happens when you spend the first 28 years of your life on the outskirts of Nashville.

I can only imagine the RS1 would do it even better.

My favorite online testing spot is http://www.wsix.com/cc-common/stripped/sugarland/
Sugarland's strings and vocals really stand out there.

Jun 17, 2006 at 4:27 PM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by billinkansas
Now if Sara Evans is involved, the impure thoughts would surely overshadow any audio concerns, for me at least!

lol. I won't admit to liking much country music and it wasn't until my wife bought Shania Twains "The Woman In Me" many years ago that I even considered listening.

There are some sweet sounding female country singers(I don't like the male country "dudes").

I like LeAnn Rimes new CD "This Woman" .Her voice seems to be mixed a little bit "hot" I guess , but it sounds oh so sweet...for her my 650 rule
eggosmile.gif

Jun 17, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #24 of 30
OK everyone loves to bash country music, but for an honest answer to your question, there isn't one phone that will do the trick. There are too many different kinds of country music. You have the Nashville sound (Jim Reeves, Eddy Arnold, Patsy Cline...). You have the outlaw movement (Waylon, Willie, David Allan Coe, Lacy J. Dalton...). You have bluegrass (Flatt and Scruggs, Ricky Scaggs, Ralph Stanley, Bill Monroe...). You have crossover country (Shania Twain, Faith Hill, Leann Rimes, Kenny Rogers...). You have western swing (Bob Wills, George Strait, Spade Cooley...). They all sound quite different.

Jun 17, 2006 at 6:46 PM Post #25 of 30
Some country is OK, but when I hear that twanging hillbilly stuff, I shudder, seriously, I get mean to people around me. When it's playing I simply can't tune it out or ignore it, it seeps into my brain and gnaws at the inside of my skull. Today I was in a clothing store and I was planning on buying this shirt when all of the sudden this TERRIBLE country-pop song came on the speaker system. I managed to hold out about 30 seconds before I had to leave, the shirt wasn't worth it. So please, for the love of all that is good and right, use headphones (preferably closed ones) when listening
tongue.gif

Jun 17, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #26 of 30
I've never heard the rs-1, but between k701 and hd650, For bluegrass and old recordings 650's are better.

hd650's have more body and rich tone, k701 sounds slightly thin in comparison. The organic sound, darker sound of the 650's helps when the instrumentalists/slide guitar take it away. lol

k701 has more detail, but with a good amp, you're really not sacrificing much, especially for country.

soundstage is much more natural and coherent on k701 vs hd650 though, For example if there's a guitars going on left and right channel, they don't really fit in the image, they're off to the left and right, while the singers in middle. With k701, the left and right guitars are present in the music, and not just separate noises on the left and right side.

Jun 18, 2006 at 12:24 AM Post #27 of 30
This is bad.

I can begin to understand why so many folks have a sig like an audio store.

Unlike many speaker systems that can do it all, cans seem to be much more speciallized in their orientations.

.........although it's beginning to look as though the K701 may have the ability to wear many hats.

Jun 18, 2006 at 7:50 AM Post #28 of 30
well,well. glad someone mentioned "remember when". i use that and flim and the bb's to tell if i will even evaluate new equipment any further. yup, it's right up there with flim and the bb's. trust me! maybe not your bag, but sonically there are darn good country songs. and as embarrassing as it may be(to let other people hear you listening to it) if shania don't get yer 'ol feets 'a tappin' you might be ready for the nursing home.

music_man.

Jun 18, 2006 at 1:05 PM Post #29 of 30
TV and movies give Country a bad name!!

I mean; if you pay attention to the entertainment industry; the east coast is cool and the west coast is cool.

.....then there's all that crap in the middle.

It's not that "country music" is all that bad. It's the Country!! I mean, it's not.... it's not, the COAST!!

Jun 18, 2006 at 1:07 PM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61
You have the Nashville sound (Jim Reeves, Eddy Arnold, Patsy Cline...). You have the outlaw movement (Waylon, Willie, David Allan Coe, Lacy J. Dalton...). You have bluegrass (Flatt and Scruggs, Ricky Scaggs, Ralph Stanley, Bill Monroe...). You have crossover country (Shania Twain, Faith Hill, Leann Rimes, Kenny Rogers...). You have western swing (Bob Wills, George Strait, Spade Cooley...). They all sound quite different.

Not forgetting the alt.country types, and the "southern" gothic (eg Gillian Welch, Bonnie Prince Billy). And Gram. Ah, Gram ... It don't make no sense to diss country like it's just some kind of general southern redneck musical conspiracy when there's songs like "She", "Brass Buttons" and "Love Hurts".

Embarrassing? Maybe for some, but I'd call a lot of heavy metal embarrassing. It's like how kids call their parents embarrassing ... and then go around acting like, you know, children.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back